Golf World Golf thread - Foreign and Domestic

Remove this Banner Ad

So anyone happen to catch up on the doings at the Web.Com event in the Bahamas this week?

Rhein Gibson hit his second into the hazard on 18. The ball was eventually found and picked up by his caddie. There is a dispute as to whether or not Rhein did enough to signal approval for his caddie to pick up the ball. Apparently the tour official thought he had not---the caddie obviously disputes that and either Rhein doesn't know the rules or agreed with the tour official that he had not done enough to signal such approval. Cost him another stroke penalty and dropped him from 2nd to 3rd.

On the Web.Com Tour that can be an important amount of lost money at the end of the year when jockeying for 25 pga cards.

I happened to be watching 17 and 18 with little AC last night live. Gibson fired his putter head cover at the caddy after his chip for par ran just past the hole. (Apparently he also fired him on the spot at that moment)

Took it as an opportunity to use as a lesson. Said the following:

1) it is okay to be upset
2) it is never okay to throw anything at your caddy no matter how upset you are
3) if I ever see you do that I will personally walk onto the course and remove you from the tournament myself--I don't care how old you are.
4) people make mistakes---the caddy made a mistake and it stings---but Rhein also hit the ball into the hazard from the middle of the fairway
5) you can always fire the caddy after the tournament/round if you truly feel what he did was far out of bounds

It's always interesting wondering whether your "advice" is correct in the moment--but I saw this tweet from Rhein today.

Anyhow, am interested in thoughts from you guys if anyone wants to chime in.

So anyone happen to catch up on the doings at the Web.Com event in the Bahamas this week?

Rhein Gibson hit his second into the hazard on 18. The ball was eventually found and picked up by his caddie. There is a dispute as to whether or not Rhein did enough to signal approval for his caddie to pick up the ball. Apparently the tour official thought he had not---the caddie obviously disputes that and either Rhein doesn't know the rules or agreed with the tour official that he had not done enough to signal such approval. Cost him another stroke penalty and dropped him from 2nd to 3rd.

On the Web.Com Tour that can be an important amount of lost money at the end of the year when jockeying for 25 pga cards.

I happened to be watching 17 and 18 with little AC last night live. Gibson fired his putter head cover at the caddy after his chip for par ran just past the hole. (Apparently he also fired him on the spot at that moment)

Took it as an opportunity to use as a lesson. Said the following:

1) it is okay to be upset
2) it is never okay to throw anything at your caddy no matter how upset you are
3) if I ever see you do that I will personally walk onto the course and remove you from the tournament myself--I don't care how old you are.
4) people make mistakes---the caddy made a mistake and it stings---but Rhein also hit the ball into the hazard from the middle of the fairway
5) you can always fire the caddy after the tournament/round if you truly feel what he did was far out of bounds

It's always interesting wondering whether your "advice" is correct in the moment--but I saw this tweet from Rhein today.

Anyhow, am interested in thoughts from you guys if anyone wants to chime in.

i heard about that incident. it was uncomfy to hear.

I had a chance to review what the caddy was saying in that video clip. It seems to me that BOTH of those guys (Rhein and his caddy) did not know the rule properly.

Certainly, it seems there was no way the ball could have been played from its spot. The fact that the rules official decided to interpret comments Rhein made as indicative that permission had not been given to his caddy to pick up the ball is not relevant. It only became relevant because those two did not understand the entirety of the rule in play.

On the one hand that is "justice" in that Rhein is as culpable as his caddy for not correctly recognizing the situation and pushing back against the rules official's initial call. On the other, it is also something his caddy should have clearly known about--independent of his player. So he best make sure he brushes up on the rules before he picks up another loop.

Nor does it absolve Rhein from throwing anything at his caddy.

Did anybody yesterday see mickelson hit into a hazard then chip out with his caddie holding a length of Aggie pipe out the way so he could play it?
How was he allowed to do that if he was in a hazard?

Did anybody yesterday see mickelson hit into a hazard then chip out with his caddie holding a length of Aggie pipe out the way so he could play it?

I can't find any vision, any idea of what hole?

Artificial man-made objects can be moved in a hazard. Things like rakes, bits of rubbish (bottles etc) all land under that so I assume the pipe comes in under that rule as well.

I watched it at the time and thought it was bizarre as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Artificial man-made objects can be moved in a hazard. Things like rakes, bits of rubbish (bottles etc) all land under that so I assume the pipe comes in under that rule as well.

Can be moved, as in picked up and removed from swing contact possibilities

Or

Can be physically restrained?

I haven't seen the incident but holding something to improve a lie or line is something odd

Note: I'm certainly not a rules guru

True, but it wasn’t just lying there it is actually part of the drainage system of the course.

I’ve been trying to find something but struggling
I did read though in the shot by shot play that it went into a native area, didn’t say hazard, but it definitely had a red line around that area....so don’t know.

My guess on the event in question is that the sewage drain/pipe/whatever you want to call it was ruled a movable obstruction in the hazard. Since it is obviously a part of the drainage system of the golf course I would imagine they decided he could lift it up out of the way instead of tearing it off.

Which brings up the obvious, if you need to lift it out of the way and don't want it removed, why is it ruled a movable obstruction? To that I got no fricking clue.

So from my point of view and not having read anything regarding it so far----once ruled moveable the caddy could lift it out of the way. Since it is part of the drainage system he was allowed to lift it up and restrain it until Phil hit his shot.

That to me is the likeliest reasoning

Anyone actually think that Jason Day had a win in him this early in the season?
Nope...especially after the first round.....
Starting to wonder if he is a bit soft when it comes to playing up injuries.
I play with a guy who needs a new hip & every bad shot it’s his hip,,,but doesn’t hurt when he hits a good one...lol

Curious as to what kind of injections he got between round 1 and 2.

That said, amazing effort and well deserved win.

Quite enjoyed the shot for shot playoff although today was a bit anti-climatic.

Also, now that the tournament is over...I want to put JB Holmes on blast. What a bush league move by that clown making everyone wait on 18 before he decides to lay up.

If I am Palmer or Noren, I absolutely positively put that in the back of my head.

It was ridiculous and those two guys are nicer than me--I would have said something to the jackass.

Curious as to what kind of injections he got between round 1 and 2.

That said, amazing effort and well deserved win.

Quite enjoyed the shot for shot playoff although today was a bit anti-climatic.
Hopefully it will kick start him & others..(Leish, cam, Scotty etc) to big year
Especially in majors.

BTW...any thoughts on JB Holmes taking forever to decide what shot to play on the 18th?
FWIW I think it’s hurt Noren decision as he changed clubs while waiting forever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back