US Presidential elections

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course it would have nothing to do with people ambulance chasing would it?

Kind of like wanting to witness the crazy person fall flat on their face when that doomsday doesn't actually eventuate.

Personally, I don't see it. Perhaps my libido is elitist.

Yeah. Shes ok. No more, no less. Theres other hotter milfs out there.

Yeah I can't believe that she didn't know that sort of basic stuff. I said she will play a role for the republicans in the future because she can connect with people. But I'm going to have to reassess that if she can't get basic stuff like that right. Then again if she does some geography lessons over the next few years and the party machine prep her for 3 or 4 years then maybe she still can be in the ball park.

But you know what's scary? There would be tens of millions of voters who would say so what, that doesn't matter.:eek:

I personally can't see how Palin will be able to recover from the serious gaffs she has produced so far.

Her lack of knowledge isn't only on things like geaography, she seriously couldn't quote any examples of cases from the Supreme court that she had a philisophical difference over, couldn't name a single current affairs editorial that she read consistently etc.
She may not be as 'dumb' as she has appeared at times but the fact is she has perpetuated the myth with her efforts. No matter how much 'ejukatin' she receives over the next 2-3 years, the media know that she is a brain-fade moment away from destroying ANY credibility.

I am still convinced that if Obama didn't have a respected, competent WHITE MAN as his deputy he may not have won. But once Palin started 'connecting' with the people in the wrong way it was all over for McCain.

Poor bastard, had to distance himself as far away from Bush as possible whilst attracting as much of his powerbase as possible. The only real tool he was given/used was Palin......surprising he got so close.

Her lack of knowledge isn't only on things like geaography, she seriously couldn't quote any examples of cases from the Supreme court that she had a philisophical difference over, couldn't name a single current affairs editorial that she read consistently etc.
She may not be as 'dumb' as she has appeared at times but the fact is she has perpetuated the myth with her efforts. No matter how much 'ejukatin' she receives over the next 2-3 years, the media know that she is a brain-fade moment away from destroying ANY credibility
None of this matters though. Which is why REHB is right when he states Palin could be a force for the Elephants for a time to come yet.

It's more about how much you can connect with people to convince them that you are the one to help/protect them.

With the US culture of fear (sorry for constantly harping on that) more often than not to be an effective politician you need to be able to provide some sort of solace, perceived or otherwise. Not just in terms of security but also with things like immigration, guns, civil rights etc.

That is why the "Guns, God and Gays" is such a successful platform for right wing ideologues, and "Civil Rights for Gay Whale Babies!" is for the left.

It’s all about ensuring people have their interests looked after, even if sometimes they don’t realise that their interests are self harmful.

Yeah. Shes ok. No more, no less. Theres other hotter milfs out there.

Not in politics in the English speaking world. Now if you go to France ex singers, movie stars etc, Italy, ex pr0n stars models etc and the Scandi countries also have a couple of decent MILF pollies.

Anyone seen CNN use their hologram graphics yet? They interview people and their reporters from out in the field and put a hologram of them in the studio about 2 metres away from the inteviewer to make it look like they are there in the studio. Snazzy technology to watch. Not sure if really adds anything, but it does look snazzy.

Apparently they weren't holograms, but topograms. Who would believe the media would mislead the public? :eek:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/home/technology/cnns-hologram-hoax/2008/11/07/1225561097423.html

CNN's 'holograms' just smoke and mirrors
Asher Moses
November 7, 2008 - 11:05AM

CNN's US election night stunt, in which reporter Jessica Yellin and rapper will.i.am appeared on set as three-dimensional "holograms", was little more than smoke and mirrors, physics experts say.

In what was billed as a world-first, Yellin appeared to be beamed from Chicago into the network's New York studio for an interview with anchor Wolf Blitzer. But, in fact, Blitzer was looking at little more than a red mark on the floor.

Blitzer made every attempt to hide the fact that the hologram was fake, saying "Jessica, you're a terrific hologram" and that he liked the hologram because "we can have a more intimate conversation".

Yellin likened herself to a character from Star Wars, saying, "It's like I follow in the tradition of Princess Leia."

A second "hologram" interview was aired between another anchor, Anderson Cooper, and will.i.am, who, like Yellin, was in Chicago for President-elect Barack Obama's election night celebrations.

"It looks exactly like in Star Trek when they would beam people down, that's what it looks like right here," Cooper said.

But Hans Jurgen Kreuzer, theoretical physics professor and holography expert at Dalhousie University, told CBC news in Canada that the so-called holograms were simply 2D images superimposed onto the TV broadcast.

The images were in fact tomograms, or images captured from all sides - in this case by 35 high-definition cameras set in a ring inside a special tent - reconstructed by computers and displayed on the screen.

A real hologram would have meant the images were projected into space, which did not occur as Blitzer and Cooper could not see their interview subjects.

Some have criticised the use of holograms - real or fake - in news broadcasts at all, saying the whole point of sending reporters on assignment is so the viewer can get a sense of the environment and the event they are covering.

To perform its stunt, CNN used technology from Vizrt, based in Norway, and SportVu, based in Israel.

In an interview with Norwegian publication DagensMedier, Vizrt technical director Ole Jacobsen said that, contrary to CNN's claims, "it's not technically a hologram", which would be the company's "next challenge".

Despite CNN's trickery, there have been many mainstream uses of real hologram technology, including several in Australia.

The National Sports Museum, located at the Melbourne Cricket Ground, includes a 3D hologram of Shane Warne, who tells visitors of his most memorable moments.

In May this year, Telstra's chief technology officer, Hugh Bradlow, was beamed from Melbourne to Adelaide to give a live business presentation.

None of this matters though. Which is why REHB is right when he states Palin could be a force for the Elephants for a time to come yet.

It's more about how much you can connect with people to convince them that you are the one to help/protect them.

With the US culture of fear (sorry for constantly harping on that) more often than not to be an effective politician you need to be able to provide some sort of solace, perceived or otherwise. Not just in terms of security but also with things like immigration, guns, civil rights etc.

That is why the "Guns, God and Gays" is such a successful platform for right wing ideologues, and "Civil Rights for Gay Whale Babies!" is for the left.

It’s all about ensuring people have their interests looked after, even if sometimes they don’t realise that their interests are self harmful.

But I reckon it does matter. The media is a huge player in portraying any politician in the 'right light'. I honestly think that because she is such a poor media performer when the hard questions are asked, the media will be like wolves to the lambs. She wont be able to escape it.

I just cant see her being perceived as the person who is going to offer "some sort of solace, perceived or otherwise. Not just in terms of security but also with things like immigration, guns, civil rights etc."

She just cant get her point of view across on any issue with any authority or substance, perceived or actual.

As much of a twit that G W was, he was able to portray a strong leader that would do what it took to get it done. He may not have known what it was that needed doing or whether what he was doing was the best course of action but the 'fearful masses' knew in GW he was the man to turn to. Look at how he took care of the "Axis of Evil" and sent Osama running for the hills.

Palin being perceived as the average 'mom' took her only so far. After that all she was capable of portraying was a politician that if put under the tiniest bit of scrutiny/pressure, she fails. The media will eat her alive if she hangs around. As I mentioned previously, she will only be remembered during quiz nights.

But Yanks never cease to amaze me so you and REH could be on the money....time will tell I guess.

But I reckon it does matter. The media is a huge player in portraying any politician in the 'right light'. I honestly think that because she is such a poor media performer when the hard questions are asked, the media will be like wolves to the lambs. She wont be able to escape it.....She just cant get her point of view across on any issue with any authority or substance, perceived or actual.....After that all she was capable of portraying was a politician that if put under the tiniest bit of scrutiny/pressure, she fails. The media will eat her alive if she hangs around. As I mentioned previously, she will only be remembered during quiz nights......
I think you have it. The latest revelations mean it's not just a matter of style, or a nervous stuffing up of an interview. She fronted the national media apparently not even aware of her lack of knowledge.
Again I use the Pauline Hanson comparison. If Palin continues on in politics outside Alaska she will attract money and support only from right wing nutcases. Mainstream Republicans won't go within cooeee.

I'm so looking forward to SNL's take on all this over the next few weeks.

This (A triumph beyond the dream of King) is an interesting if slightly uneven article.

I particularly liked "......And only America, among Western countries, was likely to elect a black president. The enthusiasm in Europe for Obama as a symbol of racial emancipation -- other reasons for their enthusiasm are likely to prove illusory -- could be interpreted by somebody of unkind disposition as yet another example of Europeans' dependence on the US to run the hard yards for them. ....." though it may be that you have to read it in context in the article to really appreciate it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You made bold claims about the failure or Kevin Rudd's government and then showed that you know so little about politics that you can't tell the difference between state and federal governments. If that's not pwnage what is? :p :D

No wonder you wanted McCain to win the US election :rolleyes:

Thats year 8 work.

I'm doing SOSE at a year 11 level in SOSE 2.

I know the difference.

Interesting to see Bookies are not paying out yet just incase some thing happens to him before January.

I would have thought you were betting on winning the Election and not becomming Pres

Not in politics in the English speaking world. Now if you go to France ex singers, movie stars etc, Italy, ex pr0n stars models etc and the Scandi countries also have a couple of decent MILF pollies.
NZed's Helen Clarke anyone? :cool:

Because if you nominate a person and complete your sentence with "anyone?" it's bound to be a stupid suggestion.

Palin strikes back at the critics. "Those low down jackals" Palin was not heard to say, "what they was sayin' about me was lower'n huntin' moose with an automatic rifle."

Palin lashes out at 'cowardly' critics

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election-2008/palin-lashes-out-at-cowardly-critics-20081108-5kf3.html

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin called her critics cowards today for deriding her anonymously and insisted she never asked for the expensive wardrobe purchased for her use on the presidential campaign.

etc

http://www.theage.com.au/world/us-election-2008/palin-lashes-out-at-cowardly-critics-20081108-5kf3.html

Been thinking about who the Republicans might turn to next time. Given that since FDR half the presidents are either governors or ex governors, I suspect they will look to a couple existing governors or maybe an ex one.

Mike Huckabee the ex Arkansas governor who ran in the Republican primaries and continued to run until McCain got the required delegates. I think he might be positioning himself for a run in 2012. Firstly, he is like another bloke from Arkansas. He was born in Hope, but lived there well past 7 years of age, was governor of Arkansas for just over 10 years and plays a musical instrument. All just like Bill Clinton. He plays a mean bass in a band called Capitol Offense which he helped form in 1996, when he was elected governor, with members of his executive staff who were all musicians in their own right and worked in the Capitol building.

He has an interesting background. He was first elected lieutenant governor, in 1993 and became governor in 1996 when the democrat who took over from Clinton as ovenor when Clinton become president had to resign in disgrace as he was convicted for fraud. He got caught by of Kenneth Starr's investigation of the Whitewater scandal of the Clintons.

Anyway Huckabee is an ordained Southern Baptist minister, which he no longer practices as. I think he has written 7 books or his 7th is about to be released, called, Do the right thing. What else would you expect from a right winger. So he automatically connects to the right wing and Christian base of the republican party.

When he was governor he blew out to around 300 pounds about 135kgs. He was diagnosed by his doctor with adult onset diabetes and told him that he would not live more than 10 years if he did not lose weight. So he went and got fit and lost 110 pounds ie 50 kgs. He has run a few marathons and become a national spokesman to fight obesity and adult onset diabetes.

He has a good sense of humor and had Chuck Norris endorse him in the primaries with a couple of funny ads. He now has his own show on Fox News Channel and is building up a national profile thru it. Being an ex Minister he is a good speaker and can deliver a good speech. I saw him on one of the Fox News programs a couple of days after the election and he talked about embracing people with different ideas, involving yourself with people who have different ideas to you and debating them in a civil manner and arguing your case with them and not putting them down because they are different. It struck me as being very civil. He will be somebody to watch over the next 4 years.

Here are some You Tube highlights of him.

His ad with Chuck Norris endorsing him in the republican primaries. It shows his good natured sense of humor.

Mike Huckabee Ad: "Chuck Norris Approved"
[YOUTUBE]MDUQW8LUMs8[/YOUTUBE]

Huckabee on Leno 1 (it shows a clip from his 135kg governor days)
[YOUTUBE]OO-_TFLalGQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

If the embeded link doesn't work this is the direct link
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-_TFLalGQ&feature=related

Part 2 is him playing bass as well as talking about his weight loss etc.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IgedasA-nLc

Something a fan put together the best of his answers in the Primary elections stage. Some intersting answers from someone on the right.

The Best of Mike Huckabee
[YOUTUBE]3sdZY3oSupU[/YOUTUBE]

And this is an interesting interview on his show last weekend. He debated political comedian Bill Maher host of HBO's Real Time, who is from the left and doesn't believe in god. Maher has made a new movie about religion called Religulous, who questions people with strong fundamental beliefs. Rather than get all riled up attacking Maher, Huckabee invited him on to the show and discussed and debated the topic in a very civil manner that wasn't patronising unlike some other politicians or media personalities from the right would. Even made a couple of jokes. And some of Bill Maher's stuff is funny and interesting as well.

[YOUTUBE]9nB_VSmqQzc[/YOUTUBE]

I think Huckabee is an interesting character. Don't agree with him on quiet a few things, but he will be worth watching over the next years if you have an interest in US politics.

Romney will be running against Obama in 2012 I reckon REHB. The conservative base of the Republicans love him.

Several Republicans have been talking about 'returning to our fundamentals' and 'being the reform party we should be' etc which perhaps means a return to the Christian right base (thats not to say Huckabee isn't also in this category, just less than Romney)

The base was apparently alienated by the McCain ticket - hence Palin's plucking from obscurity. Look out for Bobby Jindal and Paul Ryan too.

It might sounds weird, but I think 2012 could very well be more important if the US really does want change.

Jindal was one of the two or three republican governors I was thinking about. Being a Indian ( ie parents from India) American he is another one with an interesting story. The fact that the Hurricane effort went so well a few months ago when the country was watching is a big plus.

I'm not sure about Romney. There is no doubt he is capable he has the record of running things well. Huckabee in one of those You Tube links I put up made an interesting comment. He said that Americans might think that he is more like them, than the boss who sacked them. McCain in the primaries continually berated Romney for sacking people and sending jobs off shore. I'm not sure if the unemployment rate was say 8 to 10 percent in 2012, it will help or hinder a Romney campaign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back