US Sports: NBA NFL NHL and MLB

Remove this Banner Ad

I get what you're going for, but Popovich's ideas and systems are outdated now and the Spurs have been insignificant for a long time now (also Team USA were horrid).
2014 San Antonio won the championship when Popovich was 65. There have been 2 dominate teams since then, the Cavs in the Eastern Conference and Warriors in the Western Conference. The next 3 years they won 67%, 81% and 74% of games in the regular season. I wouldn't call that insignificant. I wish Port had that sort of "insignificant' winning percentage in the minor round. I agree they have been somewhat insignificant the last 2 full seasons.

2014 San Antonio won the championship when Popovich was 65. There have been 2 dominate teams since then, the Cavs in the Eastern Conference and Warriors in the Western Conference. The next 3 years they won 67%, 81% and 74% of games in the regular season. I wouldn't call that insignificant. I wish Port had that sort of "insignificant' winning percentage in the minor round. I agree they have been somewhat insignificant the last 2 full seasons.

2014 San Antonio Spurs will always hold a special place in my heart, mainly because I was in the stands when they won the championship. It really should have been a clean sweep but I'm glad it wasn't for that very reason.

Oh, and they wouldn't be insignificant if Leonard hadn't quit his way out of the team.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
2014 San Antonio Spurs will always hold a special place in my heart, mainly because I was in the stands when they won the championship. It really should have been a clean sweep but I'm glad it wasn't for that very reason.

Oh, and they wouldn't be insignificant if Leonard hadn't quit his way out of the team.

Maybe they should have treat his injury better. They finished high after that championship because the other teams focused on the post season. I agree it'd be nice to have a Port team try to win as much even if you know that they are going to bomb straight out in the finals, at least they give themselves a chance.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

Pretty much. I'm still firmly of the belief that Leonard's management wanted him in LA long term and forced the move over a weird issue to get him there.

Reverse the Leonard and Green for DeRozan and Poeltl trade and all of a sudden the Spurs are straight back in the title frame. Leonard and Green immediately fix the leaky defence and provide an elite scorer and a great outside shooter.

Popovich is still a genius. He probably reacted slowly to the outside shooting boom and got burned by Kawhi leaving, but they're in rebuild mode now and i'd fully expect them to turn the current crop into a very effective team. I think Murray will be a star when he's back up to full fitness.

Love Brady, but probably would be married (and financially better off) if he kept his promise over the off season.

Think it was time for him to retire, unfortunately.
No, he tactically unretired. Knew he was headed for divorce and did not want to take the broadcasting job that was going to pay him a crazy amount because she would have had claim to half. So waiting now until split is complete to do that.

PAFC_FOREVER

All Australian
Oct 10, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No, he tactically unretired. Knew he was headed for divorce and did not want to take the broadcasting job that was going to pay him a crazy amount because she would have had claim to half. So waiting now until split is complete to do that.
Uh that's a very good reason.

Though wasn't she the bread winner ultimately over his career still?

Uh that's a very good reason.

Though wasn't she the bread winner ultimately over his career still?
From a very quick google search

Tom Brady has to somehow get by with a measly $212 million in his account (though he can expect to add at least another $25 million next year, as per his contract agreement with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers).

Interestingly, Tom is not even the main breadwinner in the Brady household: his wife, Gisele Bundchen is estimated to be worth a staggering $400 million!

However the Broadcasting deal: So every reason to hold off I reckon.

• The deal, according to US media, is the largest contract in sports broadcasting history, with Fox Sports in the US paying an alleged $US375 million ($540 million) over 10 years to sign the quarterback as its lead analyst once his playing career ends.

PAFC_FOREVER

All Australian
Oct 10, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interestingly, Tom is not even the main breadwinner in the Brady household: his wife, Gisele Bundchen is estimated to be worth a staggering $400 million!
Yeah I reckon I read the same site. Was only at the end he starting getting paid on field.

Grossly underpaid given his status in the game. His protoge was out earning him I believe significantly.

250 odd million over a 20 plus year career being the GOAT is a disgrace.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Yeah I reckon I read the same site. Was only at the end he starting getting paid on field.

Grossly underpaid given his status in the game. His protoge was out earning him I believe significantly.

250 odd million over a 20 plus year career being the GOAT is a disgrace.

We need to remember the salary cap during when he was at his peak is no where near what it is now. Also should be noted that Brady consciously took less money in New England because it allowed other players to get paid to keep the team competitive.

In some ways I'm a bit surprised that the media never questioned his motives given that they place expectations on all the star players breaking the bank and creating new record-setting contracts every time their deal is up. Also surprised that the NFLPA didn't call him out on it either.

PAFC_FOREVER

All Australian
Oct 10, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We need to remember the salary cap during when he was at his peak
Absolutely, but it reminds me of Pippen and how badly he was screwed in retrospect.

I take sides with the players on this, given the Owners are the ones really benefitting from them..... imagine how much more the Bulls/Patriots are worth because of them, and obviously Jordan was underpaid early on too.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Absolutely, but it reminds me of Pippen and how badly he was screwed in retrospect.

I take sides with the players on this, given the Owners are the ones really benefitting from them..... imagine how much more the Bulls/Patriots are worth because of them, and obviously Jordan was underpaid early on too.

I see both sides of the argument. I tend to think it's a true 50/50 split.
Let's be realistic - the overwhelming majority of the players come from underprivileged socioeconomic backgrounds. So despite them having the product (talent), they need people to put in capital to build the empire so to speak. That would never happen without a select few wealthy magnates in conjunction with TV broadcasters to make the game what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PAFC_FOREVER

All Australian
Oct 10, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I see both sides of the argument. I tend to think it's a true 50/50 split.
Given the take home pay with taxes, manager fees, living expenses, many of the players as expected wind up broke very quickly. Obviously most aren't earning as much as the LBJ types.

Owners I'm starting to think get this too easy now.

Glad this model doesn't exist here.

Just remember, no one cares who Jeanie Buss is. A billion people cared about Kobe.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Given the take home pay with taxes, manager fees, living expenses, many of the players as expected wind up broke very quickly. Obviously most aren't earning as much as the LBJ types.

Owners I'm starting to think get this too easy now.

Glad this model doesn't exist here.

Just remember, no one cares who Jeanie Buss is. A billion people cared about Kobe.

Players wind up broke because they have too many hangers on and quite often their lack of education means they are prone to poor financial decisions.

Even players who are on the minimum in a sport like the NBA should be more than comfortable financially provided they make some pertinent decisions throughout their career as opposed to acting as if they have an endless money pit.

No one cares about Jeannie Buss but it should be remembered that Dr. Jerry Buss created the Showtime era of basketball which permanently changed the landscape of the sport.

It takes both talent and the ability to monetize said talent to have a successful league. Both sides need each other.

My biggest gripes with ownership come from people such as Stan Kroenke and the Glazer family who will bleed their teams dry taking revenue out of the club to line their own coffers as opposed to providing the necessary resources to compete at the highest level. Ed Woodward once ignorantly said that the on field performance of Man United didn't matter because they had such sophisticated systems to generate wealth on the brand name. Yet they have failed to realise that the number one way to increase revenue streams and create greater wealth for a sporting company is to win.

PAFC_FOREVER

All Australian
Oct 10, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Players wind up broke because they have too many hangers on and quite often their lack of education means they are prone to poor financial decisions.
Was listening to a great podcast talking alot about this.

Say a $10m deal. 5m tax. 1.5m - 10-15% manager fees, insurance, this may be more...

Get drafted in NYC, where do you live? A slum 3 hours out?

Kid wants to go to school? Oh that's a fortune....

Imagine all the guys not on $10m..... Most of them. Imagine the NFL? 10 times worse and they are physically destroyed...

It adds up. I'm sure their team mates aren't giving em money too, but they'll have to go to to the same clubs and restaurants....

It's no wonder most are broke. The hanger ons is obviously huge too.

Could argue Jordan, not Buss, with his global reach grew the game. The NBA was still a joke league in the 80s with drugs etc etc.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Was listening to a great podcast talking alot about this.

Say a $10m deal. 5m tax. 1.5m - 10-15% manager fees, insurance, this may be more...

Get drafted in NYC, where do you live? A slum 3 hours out?

Kid wants to go to school? Oh that's a fortune....

Imagine all the guys not on $10m..... Most of them. Imagine the NFL? 10 times worse and they are physically destroyed...

It adds up. I'm sure their team mates aren't giving em money too, but they'll have to go to to the same clubs and restaurants....

It's no wonder most are broke. The hanger ons is obviously huge too.

Could argue Jordan, not Buss, with his global reach grew the game. The NBA was still a joke league in the 80s with drugs etc etc.

It also depends on the state income tax. If you're playing in Florida where there's no state income tax it is much more lucrative for you than playing in the tax capital of America (California).

Player manager fees are 3% of a contract, can be up to 4%.

Even if you're earning a pittance (relatively speaking) of say 300k for 10 years. If you've invested wisely and got the right people around you, you should be able to live comfortably. Not necessarily live in a mansion in Beverly Hills, but you shouldn't be going broke in such a situation either.

The Showtime era kicked off in the late 70s when Magic Johnson was drafted in 79. Jordan arrived in the mid 80s (84 off the top of my head). Both had a significant influence on the game on the court, but Buss in particular found a way to make it a show that the most famous people in the world wanted to experience. More bums on seats, more eyes on TVs = more revenue.

That being said, it's quite amazing how small the NBA is compared to the NFL. TV ratings for a regular season game in the NFL can be up to three times the TV ratings for an NBA Finals game. Absolutely ridiculous.

PAFC_FOREVER

All Australian
Oct 10, 2022
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That being said, it's quite amazing how small the NBA is compared to the NFL. TV ratings for a regular season game in the NFL can be up to three times the TV ratings for an NBA Finals game. Absolutely ridiculous.
I'm not the least bit surprised about it.

I went there for 6 weeks a while back, took on a LAL v Bulls game, unf Kobe late out, and 2 Bulls games in Chicago Inc Cleveland with LBJ.

It was the biggest let down of my life. Zero atmosphere. Zero passion. Awful venue at Chicago, Staples not so...

Football sparks a passion, in whatever form it is. AFL, NFL, Soccer. NBA is like a casual entertainment, a theatre show if anything. Some cities that don't have much else get a bit of passion behind their team, but ultimately it's pathetic.

This was when Port was packing their new oval each week. Our atmosphere left what I saw there for dead.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots
I'm not the least bit surprised about it.

I went there for 6 weeks a while back, took on a LAL v Bulls game, unf Kobe late out, and 2 Bulls games in Chicago Inc Cleveland with LBJ.

It was the biggest let down of my life. Zero atmosphere. Zero passion. Awful venue at Chicago, Staples not so...

Football sparks a passion, in whatever form it is. AFL, NFL, Soccer. NBA is like a casual entertainment, a theatre show if anything. Some cities that don't have much else get a bit of passion behind their team, but ultimately it's pathetic.

This was when Port was packing their new oval each week. Our atmosphere left what I saw there for dead.
Also when the regular season's 17 games long instead of 82 for basketball or 162 for baseball, each game has more riding on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back