USA to take on Australia at Etihad in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

So put in an arena and double the prices.
well you would have to almost triple the prices as Rod Laver is about a 1/3 of the size.

Then the narrative would be 'ordinary fans get priced out of the game'

Tbf it is probably a lose/lose scenario

I'd say the real, real reason it's at Docklands Stadium was the Vic Government tourism authority etc being involved. They insist on using the big stadiums. Such as the WWE show at the MCG last year which was stupid.

I'd say the real, real reason it's at Docklands Stadium was the Vic Government tourism authority etc being involved. They insist on using the big stadiums. Such as the WWE show at the MCG last year which was stupid.
No it was not the reason the MCG was used for the wrestling as it was not why marvel was used for the basketball

I feel sorry for the working person who shelled out $500 for those crap seats.

I don't feel as sorry for Russell Crowe, who $500 is pocket money for him.

and then people would have complained about the prices. If you have the cheapest price of a ticket at $400, just think of the outrage people would be going on about members of the USA team. And all the "i wanted to take jimmy but can't afford the price, shame on you" comments.

I am not saying it was perfect but the reaction has been over the top. Comparing it to the Fyre Festival for example. If this was the Fyre Festival, they would not have had enough chairs, people would have been delayed hours to get through security and the line to the toilet/food would have exited the stadium.

This would have been a first for the organisers as well. This isnt round 23 of an AFL season at the MCG where all the kinks have been sorted.

reminds me of WWE at the MCG last year with its crap view. No media bash-up there and yet it was equally as far
I was up on L4 for the WWE and it wasn't that bad a view:

they're expecting to beat last nights attendance figure tomorrow night. :think: might be a "few" no-shows I'd say...

You can't compare a basketball game to a concert. It's a different sensory experience!

the only reason the event was at Etihad was because of the price the Dreamteam charged the promoters to come out. No other indoor venue in the country would have been big enough to have accommodated enough people to pay their wages. Not to mention there over the top security and accommodation requests.

Add in the fact that the team USA hierarchy had guaranteed that they would be bringing out their star players
Lol where did they guarantee they’d be bringing out all the star players?

They have no power over any of them. LeBron and co come only if they want to come. They were never coming considering the timing of it and how many of them have played heaps of basketball the last few seasons.

Lol where did they guarantee they’d be bringing out all the star players?

They have no power over any of them. LeBron and co come only if they want to come. They were never coming considering the timing of it and how many of them have played heaps of basketball the last few seasons.
The US team hierarchy guaranteed this to the promoters and the Vic government

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was last year over a year ago. Was pretty big news at the time. You may not be a big basketball fan but in Melbourne it was widely known. Radio interviews, newspaper articles, etc.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m a massive basketball fan.

The Herald Sun etc reporting LeBron etc were coming was garbage and shouldn’t have been allowed.

That doesn’t mean Team USA guaranteed anything. That’s just complete BS. They have no power over any of the players. It’s always a guessing game who wants to play for them.

iguess you do not understand the concept of inside info

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) released a statement saying it was "aware of refunds being made to consumers for the USA Basketball games … in Melbourne and Sydney on 22, 24 and 26 August".
In its original promotion of the matches, TEG Live used images of stars Steph Curry and LeBron James.
A tweet marketing a pre-sale of tickets in August 2018 billed the match as "the biggest game Australia has ever seen" and said there would be "the greatest names in basketball history" while including footage of NBA Stars Kevin Durant and James Harden in a promotional video.

Team USA has seen several high-profile withdrawals since announcing a 20-player World Cup squad in June, including Harden, Damian Lillard, Kevin Love, CJ McCollum, Bradley Beal, Anthony Davis, Eric Gordon and Andre Drummond.

Fairly straight forward. Since yesterday afternoon they are now issuing refunds, not just to people in the floor sections.

Larry Kestelman did a lot of interviews during announcement alongside Vic government who paid the majority for this.
They signed contracts based on guarantees.

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Landale could get an NBA contract after the world cup, doesn't look out of place when he's the only non NBA player on the floor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back