Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
they call it zombie-land

Managed to venture into here last year when we were wandering around Philly. Sussed out the Rocky house on Google maps 3 or 4 blocks from where we were and decided to wander up.

Although the neighborhood where we were seemed run down it was once we walked under the train tracks that we felt we were in a area we probably shouldn't be. A side street had people huddled round a burning oil drum and junkies seemed to staggering around the streets aimlessly everywhere.

While waiting for the train back to downtown a bloke who had lived there his whole life showed us where he had been shot. He now wears a bag to piss now. His brother was also shot and killed here along with a friend. He described Kensington himself as Zombieland.

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Managed to venture into here last year when we were wandering around Philly. Sussed out the Rocky house on Google maps 3 or 4 blocks from where we were and decided to wander up.

Although the neighborhood where we were seemed run down it was once we walked under the train tracks that we felt we were in a area we probably shouldn't be. A side street had people huddled round a burning oil drum and junkies seemed to staggering around the streets aimlessly everywhere.

While waiting for the train back to downtown a bloke who had lived there his whole life showed us where he had been shot. He now wears a bag to piss now. His brother was also shot and killed here along with a friend. He described Kensington himself as Zombieland.

Yeah I got lost around there a couple blocks further than I should have one day. Not a good scene at all. Nearby Fishtown, which is the south edge of Kensington and no longer considered part of it as it has been fully gentrified, has some awesome bars, cafes, art and stuff, including the famous Johnny Brendas, where I've seen everyone from Sun Ra Arkestra to Courtney Barrnett play.

Last edited:

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
funny
Yeah I got lost around there a couple blocks further than I should have one day. Not a good scene at all. Nearby Fishtown, which is the south edge of Kensington and no longer considered part of it as it has been fully gentrified, has some awesome bars, cafes, art and stuff, including the famous Johnny Brendas, where I've seen everyone from Sun Ra Arkestra to Courtney Barrnett play.

Side note; if you ever do a pilgrimage to the Four Seasons Landscaping car park, where ridiculous Rudy ran his farcical press conference for the Mango Mussolini at, you'll travel through Kenginston;its just north of there, next to the sex shop on the I95, lol.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Yeah we had been in Fishtown that was recommended by the owner of the Whiskey Tavern in Chinatown NYC. Had walked up to Mickeys Gym and it was from there we decided to walk up further to the Rocky house from Rocky 1. Never did make it to the Rocky house. Too many dodgy looking people were hanging on that corner. I reckon half our train carriage heading back downtown were on the nod.

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just got home after an amazing 2 months abroad, some thoughts below:

LA: Loved it as much as the first time I came here. Venice is such a cool neighborhood with lots going on. West Hollywood and Loz Feliz are beautiful, so green and lush. Went downtown for a hockey game, Crypto arena is good and DTLA has a few cool breweries and things going on, didn't venture too far east. The weather is amazing in SoCal

San Diego: Still chill, lots of breweries. Visiting family here which was nice, Torrey Pines is an amazing course to play.

Orlando: Not a fan, only stayed one night en route to Sawgrass (which was unreal!).

Arlington: AT&T stadium is still the best in the league, saw 2 Cowboys wins and finally got to do the stadium tour.

Atlanta: One of my best mates lives there now so stayed with him for a week. Loved the city, great food and great vibes.

NYC: Still one of my favourite cities on the planet. The trees were bright yellow and the Christmas decorations were out, was magical. Got to a hockey game at Madison Square, such an amazing place.

Philadelphia: Only stayed here one night so didn't get to see much but the south side is cool and quirky. Train came in through Kensington which was an eye opener.

Chicago: A city with a lot of heart, loved walking through the neighborhoods and bar hopping.

Detroit: Definitely on the rise, the downtown area is quite vibrant on the weekend and there is plenty to do. Went to a Lions game and the atmosphere was crazy, really cool stadium too. Went to a red wings game which was cool. Took the train out to Ann Arbor, lovely town and got to walk out onto the big house. Royal oak is also nice.

Seattle: Loved it, stayed in Pike/Pine which is a cool little area with good bars. Pike market was cool and loved capitol hill.

Vancouver: Like a cleaner Melbourne with beautiful surroundings. Quite expensive but lots to do, the national parks surrounding the city are amazing. Lots of aussies

Banff: Highlight of the trip, ski'd at all 3 resorts in temps of minus 25-30. Beautiful part of the world

Toronto: Didn't really scratch the surface here but very keen to come back and see more. Huge city, very gritty and tonnes to see and do.
Great trip and a cracking review here mate.

I get to America in a months time.
Sole purpose is cruise (Panama Canal + Total Solar Ecplise)

I have about 48 hours in LA before the cruise. I know what I'm doing.

However, the main question I have. Best way to get from LAX to Anaheim?
Taxis look ridiculous
transfers look better, but im undecided.

What method would one use to get down to Anaheim?

I land at 6pm and the shared shuttles end at 7pm. Seems too tight and may not get that service.

So I probably need a private shuttle

darrenmorgan

Norm Smith Medallist
May 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I get to America in a months time.
Sole purpose is cruise (Panama Canal + Total Solar Ecplise)

I have about 48 hours in LA before the cruise. I know what I'm doing.

However, the main question I have. Best way to get from LAX to Anaheim?
Taxis look ridiculous
transfers look better, but im undecided.

What method would one use to get down to Anaheim?

I land at 6pm and the shared shuttles end at 7pm. Seems too tight and may not get that service.

So I probably need a private shuttle

Lyft/Uber. Private shuttle won’t be any cheaper than that. Catch bus to LAX IT zone and go for cheapest option from there.

Seattle and San Diego... recommendations?
Ocean Beach is a good place to stay. Fairly hipster
San Diego zoo lives up to the hype. Takes up a whole day. Balboa park & Japanese gardens next to it are really cool too
Seaworld is ok, but all Seaworlds are over rated imo
San Diego museum on the aircraft carrier is really cool
Old town and the old town market was really cool, but i was there during Halloween/Day of the dead so it was really done up
Gas light district is pretty cool as a night time, I didn't go to the baseball but the stadium is there (might be cool)

Last edited:

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
It's a nice stadium and a good area to walk around.
A lot of the new ones are. They have tried to replicate the old school stadiums with the exterior design. Giants and Orioles are 2 that stood out in comparison to Wrigley Field and Fenway Park.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
Seattle and San Diego... recommendations?
San Diego:
  • North Park - sick area with lots of bars/restaurants
  • Ocean Beach - Cool beach neighbourhood with quirky shops
  • Gaslamp - pretty touristy but still some cool stuff around
  • Hillcrest - Chill version of north park
Seattle:
  • Pike/Pine - Heaps of Bars and good food
  • Capitol Hill - same as above
  • Pike place market - must check out - huge market with heaps of food options
  • Belltown - Good restaurants and bars, gets a little seedy at night
  • Definitely check out the space needle and glass museum next door

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Heading over in October predominantly in Vegas.
Driving from LA - Pheonix - flagstaff/ Sedona- Vegas
If anyone has recommendations for phoenix and Sedona would be greatly appreciated. Accomm/ things to do
Thanks all

Back