Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Uncle_Leo - before I forget and just in case you didn't know. When you are in your hotel room at the Bellagio, don't touch anything in the mini Br or the snacks supplied.

They have a senor on them and if the senor goes off for more than 30 seconds, you will be charged for that item. Even if you didn't ate, drank it or want it. You will be charged and a can of coke is like $4.99.

You are not even allowed to put items you have purchased into the mini bar to cool down.

Yep brother in law had stayed at Ceasers and said they do the same thing, they got charged a bucket load.

Anyone here used the New York pass thing? Is it worth it?

Yep brother in law had stayed at Ceasers and said they do the same thing, they got charged a bucket load.

Anyone here used the New York pass thing? Is it worth it?

No, but used the California pass and that works a treat. Therefore, would assume the same thing in New York.

This was one of the reasons I am (now) quite ambiguous towards staying at the Bellagio, Ceasers Palace, Wynn, Trump et el.

Add the resort fee and the experience doesn't seem worth it.

It depends on intentions. If you want to travel and see places then no. If you're looking for a social travel then yes.
Couldn't agree more. Its great for the first night or two, partying and drinking, but gets annoying after a few days when your fellow travellers would rather sleep on the bus than see sights during the day. Plus, some of the stops in cities are wayyy to short to get the best of it.

It depends on intentions. If you want to travel and see places then no. If you're looking for a social travel then yes.
I disagree. It's not difficult at all to get out and see places doing a Contiki trip. I had no problems on either of the trips I did. Now perhaps I was just fortunate in regards to the other people on my tours, but to say that Contiki tours are social only is misleading (in my opinion).

And anything after 3pm at the Grand Canyon Skywalk in late December / January can become unbearable. It's that cold but mornings are really fresh and the air is crisp, you have to put up with one to get the other.

did the grand canyon helicopter from Vegas on New Years day around 10 am, very thankful the sun was out.

I disagree. It's not difficult at all to get out and see places doing a Contiki trip. I had no problems on either of the trips I did. Now perhaps I was just fortunate in regards to the other people on my tours, but to say that Contiki tours are social only is misleading (in my opinion).

Agreed. Contiki 15 years ago, good balance between drinking and sightseeing. Used what I did on that trip as the base planning for my solo 2 month trip last year.

Just got back from another trip. Back to Vegas and went to San Fran and Hawaii.

First time I'd been to San Francisco. What a great city. So much to do there and it's so easy to get around. I really enjoyed Alcatraz. Spent 3 hours there wandering around.

yeah its cool as there are parts on the island where you can be all by yourself and TAKE in the scenery looking at the city and at the GGB.

yeah its cool as there are parts on the island where you can be all by yourself and TAKE in the scenery looking at the city and at the GGB.

Oh yeah, Alcatraz was so much better than I thought it was going to be.

The audio tour was so cool and spot on. I loved it and trhe scene back to the Bay Area is excellent as well.

Yes, you should book in advance as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone camped Yosemite before and can give me a bit of info on it?

Over the past 24 to 48 hours, we have heard about the Orlando nightclub shootings and different statistic identifying how often shootings happened based on gun control.

If anyone is worried or concerned about any pending trip you maybe organising or coming up.

I've been to the United States close to 20 times and seen many different states and I have never seen any sort of violence, terrorism or gun caused injuries or death.

What I am saying, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. If you make some really smart choices and don't put yourself into a postion where something unsavoury could happen, you will be find.

Over the past 24 to 48 hours, we have heard about the Orlando nightclub shootings and different statistic identifying how often shootings happened based on gun control.

If anyone is worried or concerned about any pending trip you maybe organising or coming up.

I've been to the United States close to 20 times and seen many different states and I have never seen any sort of violence, terrorism or gun caused injuries or death.

What I am saying, I don't think anyone has anything to worry about. If you make some really smart choices and don't put yourself into a postion where something unsavoury could happen, you will be find.

Honestly it is a concern but really you would have a way higher probability of being killed in a car accident on the way to the supermarket than being close enough to witness something like these shootings than actually being caught up in one. There is risk everywhere you go - obviously some are higher than others and the risk in the US does appear to be rising. But the reality is it is highly unlikely any of us would be affected in any way.

Well that is not entirely true is it, those 50 people weren't conceivably putting themselves in a bad position...

The USA is ******* horrible in relation to their love of guns. Absolutely blinded to the facts and constantly trying to shift the blame when all the evidence tells them otherwise. The fact that Donald Trump could potentially become president says it all. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

Well that is not entirely true is it, those 50 people weren't conceivably putting themselves in a bad position...

The USA is ******* horrible in relation to their love of guns. Absolutely blinded to the facts and constantly trying to shift the blame when all the evidence tells them otherwise. The fact that Donald Trump could potentially become president says it all. Nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there.

What I'm basically saying, I wouldn't change any plans based on this.

Just find out the most dodgy areas around where you are staying are and preferably stay out of them. Every area has its bad spots. Keep out of them and you've probably reduced the chances of being a victim of violent crime by 90%.

You'd be incredibly unlucky to be a victim but it helps to use a little common sense (so says the bloke that nearly got mugged in Alexandria, Egypt lol).

Im trying to budget for my USA trip:

Is $50-60 fair for food?

A day?

It all depends on the quality of food you wish to eat.

For 3 meals a day, $60 is achievable but it's towards the bottom end of the scale of food. Denny's, IHOP, 7/11, McDonalds, Wendy's et el and they are not great meals.

But if you go buy some cerial and milk and coffee for breakfast and make some fresh sandwiches with bread or roll, wrap, meat, salad and dressing with some fruit - your cost will be equal to the fast food or if not lower but a much higher quality of food.

A day?

It all depends on the quality of food you wish to eat.

For 3 meals a day, $60 is achievable but it's towards the bottom end of the scale of food. Denny's, IHOP, 7/11, McDonalds, Wendy's et el and they are not great meals.

But if you go buy some cerial and milk and coffee for breakfast and make some fresh sandwiches with bread or roll, wrap, meat, salad and dressing with some fruit - your cost will be equal to the fast food or if not lower but a much higher quality of food.

What price would you expect for basic restraunt?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back