Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Yosemite, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon, but for those seeking another special outdoors experience try New England in Autumn
The White MTS in New Hampshire are spectacular and Northern Maine is not to be missed
Stayed four days on Cape Cod in Sept last year as part of a big 2 mth trip to the States - absolutely beautiful......

I went to the Grand Canyon years ago pre digital photography. Didn't take many photos because film was expensive and the Australian dollar was terrible. I think I'd enjoy it more with a selfie stick than back in the 90s.

Would have but on a tight time frame. - it's a bit like National Lampoons Vacation - "there's the Grand Canyon, ok let's move on!".
I think to appreciate the Grand Canyon as it should be, you have to get away from the rest of the people and either take a walk down a trail into it, donkey ride and /or head to the North Rim as well

For those who've bought NFL tickets online, recommendations for reputable ticket re-sellers? I've used Stubhub once before (back in 2009) and the NFL site redirects you to www.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com. Was wondering what other worthwhile options are available. Cheers.
Stubhub is really good. Especially when it is marked digital download. You know the ticket will be send to your registered email address. But even their UPS service is good as well, never had any problems (If I order in advance, I usually put the hotel address that I am staying and when I arrive, the ticket is always there waiting).

I wouldn't use the official re-seller because those tickets are usually way over priced.

I went to the Grand Canyon years ago pre digital photography. Didn't take many photos because film was expensive and the Australian dollar was terrible. I think I'd enjoy it more with a selfie stick than back in the 90s.
I'd have thought you'd enjoy it more without the selfie stick. I.e. soak it all in a bit more and worry less about taking 100 photos.

Alright so Ive 6 days to spend in Colorado, anyone done much travel in the region?

At this stage Im looking at:
Day 1: Arrive and drive to Estes Park/RMNP, probably get there at night.
Day 2: Explore RMNP
Day 3: Explore RMNP and leave that afternoon, heading to Denver.
Day 4: Go to Boulder and spend the day there
Day 5: Colorado Springs
Day 6: Denver
Day 7: Leave early morning for NYC.

Also will be hiring a car, any recommendations about car hire companies?

For those who've bought NFL tickets online, recommendations for reputable ticket re-sellers? I've used Stubhub once before (back in 2009) and the NFL site redirects you to www.ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com. Was wondering what other worthwhile options are available. Cheers.

Have used both Stub Hub and ticketexchangebyticketmaster.com (used this one to buy my 2015 Super Bowl ticket and is the NFL approved ticket exchange). These are the two to go thru in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright so Ive 6 days to spend in Colorado, anyone done much travel in the region?

Suggest taking the drive up Mt Evans (North Americas highest highway) you can walk from the car park to the summit (it's not a long walk) but you will be at 14,720 feet! You have a spectacular panoramic 360 view of the Rockies. One of my favourite Rockies view.

The RMNP is also a great drive but in summer can be quite busy.

Always prefer Hertz but that's cause never had any issues and easy to drop car off in LA.

whenever i've rented a car over there i've used rentalcars.com and never had an issue. they include all the insurance that you need over there.

my recommendation is to get a car with SiriusXM radio. last time i was over there i went through all the cars in the category i rented until i found one. i was so obsessed with it i didnt even realize it didnt have cruise control until i was about 15 miles in to my 5000 mile trip:$

Last edited:

If you're into criminology or just a bit sadistic, you should stop by Columbine high school which was a bad shooting in the 90s, and the two memorials for it.

Hey , I'm going to the Us in December .

Was wondering if I'm better of booking flights closer to the date or now.

For the interstates I book later but for Melbourne to La? Not sure

Hey , I'm going to the Us in December .

Was wondering if I'm better of booking flights closer to the date or now.

For the interstates I book later but for Melbourne to La? Not sure

I'd book it all at the same way time. That way, it's all on one international ticket and then you get your luggage at 32 kgs. Instead of having different weights for domestic flights compared to international flights.

I'd book as soon as you can as a the closer you get, the more expensive your tickets are.

Not a lot of love for Phoenix on here but id appreciate any suggestions on the best area to stay and must see things to do.

I'll be there for 2 nights in October.

I have driven thru a lot of CO. Boulder and Colorado Springs are not places I would spend much (or any) time in if I were a tourist. Nor Denver itself. But Estes Park RMNP is great and certainly worth visiting.

If you want a nice road trip (but not in winter as some roads can be closed) try I-70 West from Denver into the Rockies until Clifton then turn left onto US/CO 141 then left onto US/CO 50 then US/CO 50/550 to Ouray CO. Spend a nite in Ouray. Very pretty little village. Then up thru the pass (you will be at around 10,000 feet) thru Silverton and down to Durango.

I would then return to Denver back thru the pass again to Ouray and on to Montrose and then turn right onto US/CO 50 along the Gunnison River. You could overnite at Salida. Then keep going until you reach I-25 at Peublo CO. Then turn left (north) on I-25 and head back to Denver thru Colorado Springs.

Or if time is short drive back from Ouray. Or if very short then do a day trip along I-70W to Vail and back.

Best time is usually mid-Sep/Oct/early Nov or April/May, unless you ski and have snow chains.

Buy a cheap Garmin GPS at a Best Buy and a US road atlas from a Barnes & Noble Book Store. Rental cars from airports are more expensive than nearby . If I have to rent I usually use Enterprise.

Another question, I'm trying to finish off the itinerary. I'm looking to do San Diego before my topdeck tour.

I'm undecided on San Francisco, I know I will like Alcatraz. But not sure, what else is there to do.

What are people's thoughts? worth it or not?
I forget to mention re my earlier post that about 12 months ago I posted on this thread a list of SF attractions - if you want to trawl thru the posts...

Not a lot of love for Phoenix on here but id appreciate any suggestions on the best area to stay and must see things to do.

I'll be there for 2 nights in October.

Flagstaff Arazona is nice and that's only 2 hours east of Phoenix and 1 hour west of the Grand Canyon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back