Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Levi's Stadium is a long way away from San Francisco... I went to Opening Week MNF vs LA Rams, almost didn't bother to go because I was so confused as to how I'd get there and back. Used this bus service https://www.get2theevent.com/ $34 round trip but it's a brand new bus with toilet on board and very comfy seats etc. Picks you up on time from the location you choose, took about 2 hours to get there and 90 minutes on the way back.
Yeah i remember it being 45 mins on the bus to get back to san fran from candlestick park, can only imagine the madness back from levi

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Sam_Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah i remember it being 45 mins on the bus to get back to san fran from candlestick park, can only imagine the madness back from levi

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Drove to a Golden State Warriors game at Orical Arena from San Fransisco - Over the Golden Gate Bridge and approximately say 30 minutes drive.

However, because we had driven up from LA, we removed tolls and had forgot to put tolls back on. We got back into the car and started driving. Forgetting the facts we didn't have 'use tolls' on the GPS, what should have taken us 30 minutes, took us well over 2 hours. We accidentally drove via San Jose.

Oakland is on one side of the bay and San Fransisco is on the other. The Oakland-San Francisco bridge and Golden Gate Bridge give cars access from one side to the other and San Jose is at the top of the peninsular about 50 miles up and 50 miles back.

Got lost and 100 miles latter, arrived back in San Fransisco.

PACatter

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2012
Amish Paradise
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Phila. Phillies, Eagles, Flyers
head back to america for the 3rd time leaving next sunday

San Fran
Portland
Phoenix
Denver
Indianapolis
Cincinnati
Louisville
Nashville
Memphis
New Orleans
Chicago
Palm Springs
LA

most looking forward to Yosemite, Colts NFL game, Blackhawks NHL, Joshua Tree, USC Trojans game and hopefully a tour of Sedona in Phoenix.

Off to the US for the first time later in the year.

Doing New York City, Washington DC, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Fransisco, Grand Canyon, Bass Lake, Yosemite National Park.

Just interested if anybody has any recommendations on must sees.

Christ, how many months vacation are you guys taking?

crownie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
for those that have been to NFL games did you find yourself standing for most of the game?

not that it will bother me but just interested to know.

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
for those that have been to NFL games did you find yourself standing for most of the game?

not that it will bother me but just interested to know.
Heading to Eagles v Steellers game on Sunday so will let you kniw.

Last edited:

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
We did at college games but not NFL. Games we went to were in Miami where it was probably 3/4 full and the other at MetLife where it was full at sitting on the mezanine q
Heading to the Ravens @ Jets game in late October. What are the food/drink prices like at MetLife? Better or worse than the G and Etihad?

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Heading to the Ravens @ Jets game in late October. What are the food/drink prices like at MetLife? Better or worse than the G and Etihad?
Went to the Mets last night and beers were ~$10. Surprisingly they have a pretty decent range of beers on tap to choose from. Would've been ~schooner size.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodo73

Premium Platinum
Apr 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Lakers
I was reading an article a few months ago about different food available at different stadiums. Some crazy 'only in America' stuff which I'm eager to try. LOL.

Nov 29, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rockets, Astros, Capitals
Good luck then - there's a lot to see in those cities, I'm supposing they're just giving you the tourist best-of. You could spend 3 weeks in NYC and DC and still feel like you missed a bit.

Yeah doing 2-3 days each in NYC and DC so should be able to cram a fair bit in hopefully and then the Contiki is all out West.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Probably going to sound ridiculous, but I'm reading tourist books, trip advisor etc and I'm having a hard time finding things I actually want to do. Starting in October I've got a month in the East and a month in the West.
So I'm desperately calling on you guys to hit me up with the best things you did or saw in the US. Give your top 3, give me a list, give me ANYTHING.
All I've got so far is sport, theme parks, grand canyon, alcatraz, the president at sequoia NP, San Diego zoo, pentagon tour, arches NP, chandelier trees, nurtured by nature and niagra falls. Even most of these are pretty cliched and I'm not completely happy with them. Not sure what's going on, but for the first time ever, I'm having trouble planning a holiday. :(

Edit: I'm driving pretty much all the time, so can go just about anywhere.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Probably going to sound ridiculous, but I'm reading tourist books, trip advisor etc and I'm having a hard time finding things I actually want to do. Starting in October I've got a month in the East and a month in the West.
So I'm desperately calling on you guys to hit me up with the best things you did or saw in the US. Give your top 3, give me a list, give me ANYTHING.
All I've got so far is sport, theme parks, grand canyon, alcatraz, the president at sequoia NP, San Diego zoo, pentagon tour, arches NP, chandelier trees, nurtured by nature and niagra falls. Even most of these are pretty cliched and I'm not completely happy with them. Not sure what's going on, but for the first time ever, I'm having trouble planning a holiday. :(

Grand Canyon
NYC
Yosemite National Park

BERT

All Australian
Feb 28, 2003
in a gutter
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Victory.

Niagara Falls
Grand Canyon
Alcatraz

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2010
Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester United

http://www.legendsofhollywoodtours.com/ (absolutely brilliant tour).

9/11 tour and museum, if that's your thing.

Deep South (New Orleans, swamps, plantations) was a highlight too, along with a few of the other places you mentioned.

I only had two weeks over there, but would love spend time driving around, getting off the beaten track and seeing the 'real' America.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back