Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly, yeah, though it certainly depends on what you're into. If you love gambling you'll probably be ok. I went for the first time early last year and felt 3 nights was probably 1 too many.
I'd agree with "it depends on what you're into", but then that's true of most destinations. I know people who wouldn't get much out of four nights in New York.

Personally, I think Vegas has more going for it, as far as activities & attractions, than just gambling; it's not a one-trick pony. There's no shortage of sites out there that will tell you what's available. You just have to decide if those things interest you and your group.

Few in the group want to include San Fran as one of our destinations. 3 nights too much?
I dont really understand how could 3 nights be considered too much in any large city??

Bars, Sports, Music, Restaurants, Comedy/Arts, special events, Tours etc.

If in midst of a road trip, yeah fine to stop in smaller cities for a night or two, but that enables you to sample multiple cities in a State.

Much better to linger longer in fewer places, especially the big cities, than spending an entire trip in transit and only ever ticking off the big ticket tourist sights at a city before moving onto the next spot.

All places you have mentioned are well worth a visit.

In San Francisco? No I think there is plenty you could do to fill 2 full days.

I found San Francisco as a city to be over rated.... some nice views around the bay, but the city itself just feels pretentious and sterile

the homeless problem is hard to ignore, the steep hilly streets get annoying very fast

the place still has some stuff to do, 3 days is more than enough.... Alcatraz is actually pretty interesting

the homeless problem is hard to ignore,
Sadly thats a problem in many (most?) Nth American cities.

Australia is not without its social issues, we all know that, but there is something about the visibility of the homeless problem in the US and Canada that is really confronting.

I found San Francisco as a city to be over rated.... some nice views around the bay, but the city itself just feels pretentious and sterile

the homeless problem is hard to ignore, the steep hilly streets get annoying very fast

the place still has some stuff to do, 3 days is more than enough.... Alcatraz is actually pretty interesting

Australia is not without its social issues, we all know that, but there is something about the visibility of the homeless problem in the US and Canada that is really confronting.
The greatest irony was the homeless guys outside Independence hall. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness and all that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chicago is on my list. We are going with friends so have all agreed that 7 places in 34 days will be sufficient. We are definitely doing New York (4 nights) and Vegas (4 nights) so we've got to come to an agreement on the final 5 places - I'm pretty sure that New Orleans and Portland are just about set in stone as well. Any recommendations very much welcome!
Went to NO last year. Only spent a few hours in Bourbon St. It is pretty sleazy and a lot of shady characters. I was more interested in checking out the French quarter and looking at the areas that were affected by Katrina. Also did the swamp and plantation tour which was awesome. There is a good outlet shopping complex on the edge of the Mississippi River at the end of Canal St.

San Diego is a lot like the Gold Coast. Some great bars and restaurants in the Gaslamp quarter. Don't bother about going across the border to Tijuana, it is a shithole.

You will need 4 nights in Vegas especially if you decide to do a day trip to the Grand Canyon. So much to see and do in Vegas. I did not gamble the whole time I was and still could not fit everything in. Highly recommend doing the zipline down at Freemont St at night in the old part of Vegas.

San Fran is the best city in the States hands down. Make sure you book the Alcatraz tour before you leave here. Hire a bike and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and go to Sausalito and get the ferry back.

Went to NO last year. Only spent a few hours in Bourbon St. It is pretty sleazy and a lot of shady characters. I was more interested in checking out the French quarter and looking at the areas that were affected by Katrina. Also did the swamp and plantation tour which was awesome. There is a good outlet shopping complex on the edge of the Mississippi River at the end of Canal St.

San Diego is a lot like the Gold Coast. Some great bars and restaurants in the Gaslamp quarter. Don't bother about going across the border to Tijuana, it is a shithole.

You will need 4 nights in Vegas especially if you decide to do a day trip to the Grand Canyon. So much to see and do in Vegas. I did not gamble the whole time I was and still could not fit everything in. Highly recommend doing the zipline down at Freemont St at night in the old part of Vegas.

San Fran is the best city in the States hands down. Make sure you book the Alcatraz tour before you leave here. Hire a bike and ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and go to Sausalito and get the ferry back.

Tough on SD, I reckon it's a mile better than the Gold Coast, great restaurants in the Gaslamp but also down Pacific Beach for your more local feel!

Agree on Vegas, especially the Zipline, loved that

Just been in New Orleans and was warned about our dodgey it can get as the Sun goes down and I definitely got those vibes late afternoon walking around.

But It was better then I thought it would be. French quarter is a great place to walk around in and the area which I stayed in called the garden district was very walkable and friendly.

Has anyone here been in New York for New Years and has any tips on good places to go? With 4 other friends, looking for a good bar that might have a rooftop or good view. Have heard stories about avoiding times square itself.

Has anyone here been in New York for New Years and has any tips on good places to go? With 4 other friends, looking for a good bar that might have a rooftop or good view. Have heard stories about avoiding times square itself.
No idea what their go is for NYE, but 230 Fifth is pretty awesome.

Its as if they built the Empire State Building just so you had something cool to look at while you had a beer.

http://www.230-fifth.com/

upload_2016-10-31_16-51-47.png

San Francisco somewhat more 'visible' than many others, particularly on the west coast. Got friends over there and a lot of homeless head to SF for a variety of reasons from other cities. Also SF footprint means homeless population that is there is densely populated.

For the poster asking earlier, SF definitely well worth a couple / few days depending on your interests. Would strongly recommend a visit up north to the NAPA Valley. I'm not even a wine drinker but was my favourite part of SF and surrounds.

Heading back in March next year.

Only going for 16 nights, as I'll only be in Los Angeles & Chicago. Still a neat little trip. Seeing the following -

Los Angeles Kings vs Arizona Coyotes
Chicago Bulls vs Detroit Pistons
Chicago Bulls vs Philadelphia 76ers
Chicago Blackhawks vs Colorado Avalanche
Chicago Blackhawks vs Vancouver Canucks
Chicago Blackhawks vs Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Lakers vs Portland Trail Blazers

Think I might just start to do yearly trips, for 2 weeks and concentrate on certain areas. Would've loved to have gone back to NYC this trip round, but I think I might do a trip just concentrating on NYC next time.

Have done a New Years in New York, all I can suggest is to rug up!! I was living in London at the time but found NY much colder at the time of the year, last place would want to be would be a rooftop in winter.

We were visiting friends who had a standard house party that was great.

There was a website that listed new york bars that had free drink specials, google nyc open bar, and it was legit when we went there. Would get an hour of some vodka, or new beers etc for free....if place was dead afterwards than move on. Although for NYE you might be battling.

Heading back in March next year.

Only going for 16 nights, as I'll only be in Los Angeles & Chicago. Still a neat little trip. Already have tickets to the following -

Los Angeles Kings vs Arizona Coyotes
Chicago Bulls vs Detroit Pistons
Chicago Bulls vs Philadelphia 76ers
Chicago Blackhawks vs Colorado Avalanche
Chicago Blackhawks vs Vancouver Canucks
Chicago Blackhawks vs Dallas Stars
Los Angeles Lakers vs Portland Trail Blazers

Think I might just start to do yearly trips, for 2 weeks and concentrate on certain areas. Would've loved to have gone back to NYC this trip round, but I think I might do a trip just concentrating on NYC next time.

So I just checked to see what else was on in Los Angeles when I was there, further to the Kings/Yotes and Lakers/Blazers game I had already booked.

Spoilt for choice :eek: I'm sure I'll end up going to a few but deciding on the day.

Los Angeles Kings vs Washington Capitals
Los Angeles Lakers vs Philadelphia76ers
Los Angeles Kings vs St Louis Blues
Los Angeles Clippers vs Milwaukee Bucks
Los Angeles Kings vs Buffalo Sabres
Los Angeles Lakers vs Milwaukee Bucks
Los Angeles Lakers vs Cleveland Cavaliers
Los Angeles Lakers vs Utah Jazz
Los Angeles Kings vs New York Rangers

What area are you in at the moment?? Ice Hockey is pretty amazing live!

Only been to one game and an amazing experience - Game 2 Stanley Cup 2011 - Bruins @ Vancouver. Was in town and thought, what the heck. $760- later, one of best experiences, only bettered than the Super Bowl @ Phoenix in 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back