Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Rubbish!!

You get more idiots on the Sydney freeways than you do in LA.
You will find that drivers in LA are more willing to let people into their lane as they are fearful of what the repercussions are if road rage occurs.

You will find that drivers in LA are more willing to let people into their lane as they are fearful of what the repercussions are if road rage occurs.

True.

Hardest thing about driving in LA is knowing what lane to get to as the freeways change quite quickly and you can at times have as many as 6 to 8 lanes going in one direction.

Go on then.

To me it just sort of seemed akin to those white kids who go to Uganda to build schools; basically just full of churchy kids or scungey backpackers. That, or basically like Contiki for volunteering. What was the scene like?

And how much did you make?
If that's your judgement, that's completely wrong.

People from all over the world, all there to work with kids & enjoy doing so. Students trying to make some money in their summer holidays away from college, staff members who grew up going to camp & love the place etc. It's extremely diverse, our camp has about 200+ staff all with a different background & different story.

First summer I made roughly $2k American.

Look, its not horrible (the bus) but I just felt we had more space to move around and freedome with the train. It was a long 4 hours on the bus and the tour guide was a dead set flog. Maybe thats what spoilt it for me.

We have done the Lux bus to the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas and that was brilliant, so I'm not totally Anti-bus.

Yeah we did the Lux Bus from Anaheim to Vegas and i quite enjoyed it..

Leave in 2 weeks and can't wait

Going to LA, Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, New Orleans, Orlando and Vegas.

Any tips for any of those places?

We are getting the Limo Liner from Boston to New York and training it to Philly and Washington

I'm from New York and have been to all of the places you're going to, but the only tip I have to give you is this one. Paesano's in Philly will make one of the best, if not the best, sandwich you'll ever have.

http://paesanosphillystyle.com/our-menu.html

Also, use Yelp and Eater's city specific websites when you're looking for something good to eat. So many people visit cities in the States and just end up going to shitty chain restaurants the whole time they're here. Eater does an "Essential 38" restaurants list for most of the cities you're going to, that's a good starting point.

Edit-Just noticed your user name. Hello!!!!!!

I'm from New York and have been to all of the places you're going to, but the only tip I have to give you is this one. Paesano's in Philly will make one of the best, if not the best, sandwich you'll ever have.

http://paesanosphillystyle.com/our-menu.html

Also, use Yelp and Eater's city specific websites when you're looking for something good to eat. So many people visit cities in the States and just end up going to shitty chain restaurants the whole time they're here. Eater does an "Essential 38" restaurants list for most of the cities you're going to, that's a good starting point.

Edit-Just noticed your user name. Hello!!!!!!

That website is brilliant thanks!!

Just paid for the family flights to the US of A. (Wife and 2 kids)

Heading to NY for 7 days and then to LA for 14. Can't wait

I did California back in 96 as a 13 year old, but i've never been to NYC. Pretty pumped for the kids too, as they'll experience Disneyland at a wonderful age (8 and 6) Although we did HK Disneyland 2 years ago

Wife has never been to America, so gonna be a wicked trip in October

I am heading over in April/May for 3 weeks.

First flying into LA and heading to Stagecoach Country Music Festival in Indio.

Next stop will be Chicago for few nights. Any bar and food recommendations? I have been twice before but spent most of the time in Wrigleyville.

Next will be Louisville, KY for the Kentucky Derby - very much looking forward to this!

My last stop will be Nashville - love the city - my third time. Going to try and indulge in the best 10 bbq joints!

Next will be Louisville, KY for the Kentucky Derby - very much looking forward to this!

i found trying to have a punt in person at a packed race day in the US to be a frustrating experience

the lack of independent bookies at the venue, like the ones you would find in Oz, forces you to queue up for at least 5 minutes to bet for each race, bit of a joke really....

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm planning on going back over around August/September and would love to get on that deal but I need to wait until April for the NFL schedule to come out to know exactly what my arrival and departure dates will be:(

Off again in two weeks, was originally going to go to Super Bowl (did so in Feb 2015) but now just to Boston as ticket prices a lot higher. One big Super Bowl party with them and friends then hopefully week celebrating in the city of the champs then weekend away in New Hampshire @ Loon Mountain snowboarding then back home - only 9 days all up.

Off again in two weeks, was originally going to go to Super Bowl (did so in Feb 2015) but now just to Boston as ticket prices a lot higher. One big Super Bowl party with them and friends then hopefully week celebrating in the city of the champs then weekend away in New Hampshire @ Loon Mountain snowboarding then back home - only 9 days all up.

Will be in Boston at the same time!

Some people swap houses/or apartments. There are websites devoted to this kind of "barter". Yes, even internationally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back