Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I reckon San Francisco would really interest you SA. The bay area is stunning and there's heaps of interesting stories behind the city.

LA itself isn't great. Large and sprawling, lots of homeless people and anger. Santa Monica beach is the best I've been to anywhere though.

New Orleans is a place I'd recommend highly though maybe not everyone's cup of tea; stood out as different to everywhere else I went . Bourbon street is dirty but pumping every night of the week but personally enjoyed Frenchman street the most. Great Jazz and blues.

Went to Dallas and Houston in Texas but wish I'd just done Austin. Probably one regret of my trip apart from not getting to Chicago.

I''d definitely recommend Boston. Probably my second favourite place behind New York.Would happily live there. Some parallels with Melbourne for me.
Cheers. As I've said California is a place on the to-do but I might knock out Texas and New York first, as I am doing Europe for a few weeks before too.

What were Dallas and Houston like? And how did you get between the two?

Boston was my go-to from New York. What were general things you did and didn't like? I'm just after general observations; encouragements or things to stray from.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I reckon San Francisco would really interest you SA. The bay area is stunning and there's heaps of interesting stories behind the city.

LA itself isn't great. Large and sprawling, lots of homeless people and anger. Santa Monica beach is the best I've been to anywhere though.

New Orleans is a place I'd recommend highly though maybe not everyone's cup of tea; stood out as different to everywhere else I went . Bourbon street is dirty but pumping every night of the week but personally enjoyed Frenchman street the most. Great Jazz and blues.

Went to Dallas and Houston in Texas but wish I'd just done Austin. Probably one regret of my trip apart from not getting to Chicago.

I''d definitely recommend Boston. Probably my second favourite place behind New York.Would happily live there. Some parallels with Melbourne for me.
Boston in the winter is stunning.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Cheers. As I've said California is a place on the to-do but I might knock out Texas and New York first, as I am doing Europe for a few weeks before too.

What were Dallas and Houston like? And how did you get between the two?

Boston was my go-to from New York. What were general things you did and didn't like? I'm just after general observations; encouragements or things to stray from.

The highlight of Dallas was the Kennedy museum - easy to get overdo the museums at times I reckon but it's one of the best I've been to . Street to street it seemed a bit dodgy, probably the place I got asked for money the most. Houston the main thing we did there as thea Space centre. Other than that there wasn't heaps going on there. Walked around the city for a day and it was nice enough but not overly memorable. Was only there two nights though.

Went to a Red Sox game in Boston which was a great experience even for a non baseball fan. Harvard is pretty surreal and the freedom trail is a great way to get a historical snapshot of the city. Also caught the train out to Salem for the day which was interesting.

Sounds wanky but the vibe is just fantastic there. Huge sporting city, lots of great bars and especially sporting themed bars. The reverence they hold Fenway park in reminded me of the MCG. Lots of young people; students and young professionals. Inner city where I I spent most of my time was very affluent and clean. Had both modern and traditional buildings, as well as nice parks and open space.

I'd heard the cliche about snobby insular elitists from there but honestly found people really approachable. Maybe it was a tourist thing.

Last edited:

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The highlight of Dallas was the Kennedy museum - easy to get overdo the museums at times I reckon but it's one of the best I've Benn to . Street to street it seemed a bit dodgy, probably the place I got asked for money the most. Houston the main thing we did there as thea Space centre. Other than that there wasn't heaps going on there. Walked around the city for a day and it was nice enough but not overly memorable. Was only there two nights though.

Went to a Red Sox game in Boston which was a great experience even for a non baseball fan. Harvard is pretty surreal and the freedom trail is a great way to get a historical snapshot of the city. Also caught the train out to Salem for the day which was interesting.

Sounds wanky but the vibe is just fantastic there. Huge sporting city, lots of great bars and especially sporting themed bars. The reverence they hold Fenway park in reminded me of the MCG. Lots of young people; students and young professionals. Inner city where I I spent most of my time was very affluent and clean. Had both modern and traditional buildings, as well as nice parks and open space.

I'd heard the cliche about snobby insular elitists from there but honestly found people really approachable. mAybe it was a tourist thing.
Yeah cool, sounds like Boston is a good place. I can't imagine it in summer because to me my mental image is all icey-tipped trees and frigid campuses...

Would you recommend Texas in general? It sounds like you went with family. I'll be going as a singular 23-year old man so I'm hoping to just hang out in bars and meet locals, stuff like that, just hang out. That vibe is what I'm after.

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah cool, sounds like Boston is a good place. I can't imagine it in summer because to me my mental image is all icey-tipped trees and frigid campuses...

Would you recommend Texas in general? It sounds like you went with family. I'll be going as a singular 23-year old man so I'm hoping to just hang out in bars and meet locals, stuff like that, just hang out. That vibe is what I'm after.

I went with my best mate. We went out in Dallas which was good but probably not as good as say New Orleans. Didn't in our two nights in Houston. I really enjoyed the Texan food in general though. Others can probably answer your question better than me though. People we met whilst travelling said Austin was great for that sort of thing too.

People in Texas were really friendly. Australians seemed like a novelty to them in particular.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2011
south oz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
seahawks, Purdue, Pacers
Austin is my favourite city in the States expect for the Big Apple. Nightlife is great, weather was perfect and the people are brilliant. No games on while I was there but the football stadium was cool and only cost $10. There's a place inside that sells Aussie meat pies and after 4 months abroad, it was well needed haha. San Antonio is close by and it's a ripper as well.

Hated Dallas and Houston, both cities are dodgy AF. Downtown Dallas at night was probably the grimmest I saw during my trip.

On the east coast, Savannah and Charleston are beautiful and some the college towns I passed through were. Can't go wrong with Boston/DC/NYC either.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I went with my best mate. We went out in Dallas which was good but probably not as good as say New Orleans. Didn't in our two nights in Houston. I really enjoyed the Texan food in general though. Dallas was others can probably answer your question better than me. People we met whilst travelling said Austin was great for that sort of thing too.

People in Texas were really friendly. Australians seemed like a novelty to them in particular.
How long did you spend in America and how much did you spend money wise?

Austin is my favourite city in the States expect for the Big Apple. Nightlife is great, weather was perfect and the people are brilliant. No games on while I was there but the football stadium was cool and only cost $10. There's a place inside that sells Aussie meat pies and after 4 months abroad, it was well needed haha. San Antonio is close by and it's a ripper as well.

Hated Dallas and Houston, both cities are dodgy AF. Downtown Dallas at night was probably the grimmest I saw during my trip.

On the east coast, Savannah and Charleston are beautiful and some the college towns I passed through were. Can't go wrong with Boston/DC/NYC either.
Always love a small poster coming in and giving out something good. Is it worth the extra money to go to Dallas and Houston, or should I concentrate on the other two? Is there a good small city in Texas somewhere? Are small towns dodgy?

Dec 20, 2011
south oz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
seahawks, Purdue, Pacers
How long did you spend in America and how much did you spend money wise?

Always love a small poster coming in and giving out something good. Is it worth the extra money to go to Dallas and Houston, or should I concentrate on the other two? Is there a good small city in Texas somewhere? Are small towns dodgy?
I'd recommend skipping Dallas and Houston. Although I loved the JFK museum and checking out the Grassy Knoll, I'd never go back when Austin and San Antonio are not far. OKC is not too far from Dallas and I liked it. Has a smaller riverwalk compared to San Antonio, the bombing memorial and the best barbecue I had while I was over there. College Station is a smaller sized city with a huge student population that might interest you?

I found the bigger cities more dodgy although the smaller towns I spent time in were on the east coast and more affluent. It's usually the downtown areas which large parts of the homeless live. I never really had an issues apart from a mugging in Indianapolis but that was my fault. The greyhound stations especially in the south at night arent much fun. Expect a few guys trying to sell things or ask for money.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
So Dallas and Houston aren't cool places to just hang around in for a few days? I like museums and galleries but I get burnt out and bored of them very quickly, unless they're unreal (so far only the British Museum in London has been that good). I'm happy just going to a cool place, walking around, having lunch, not especially seeing sights, just soaking it up... I guess towns like Melbourne, Fremantle, second cities ala Manchester, ahh, Porto, stuff like that.

Dec 28, 2011
Denver
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So Dallas and Houston aren't cool places to just hang around in for a few days? I like museums and galleries but I get burnt out and bored of them very quickly, unless they're unreal (so far only the British Museum in London has been that good). I'm happy just going to a cool place, walking around, having lunch, not especially seeing sights, just soaking it up... I guess towns like Melbourne, Fremantle, second cities ala Manchester, ahh, Porto, stuff like that.

The vibe you're describing doesn't really exist in Dallas or Houston.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
I liked Dallas, was my favorite in Texas... Reminded me of Melbourne for some reason

Dallas has a number of nice little neighborhoods scattered around, although it does have a bit of a rough look to it... downtown/CBD is pretty much a ghost town, Melbourne CBD has way more life to it than its Dallas' counterpart

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd recommend skipping Dallas and Houston. Although I loved the JFK museum and checking out the Grassy Knoll, I'd never go back when Austin and San Antonio are not far. OKC is not too far from Dallas and I liked it. Has a smaller riverwalk compared to San Antonio, the bombing memorial and the best barbecue I had while I was over there. College Station is a smaller sized city with a huge student population that might interest you?

I'll be in Austin in May - I see San Antonio is only a little over an hour away. Is it worth doing a trip there for the day?

blakey_10

Debutant
Aug 2, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham
I'm looking at flying into New York and then heading to Texas, probably flying out of there. Very keen on Austin, but what is a good way to do this – I'll have five to eight, probably six weeks for the US. Easy enough to get the M79 to Boston, like the Vampire Weekend song? Any good places to just spend two or three days in that are close to NY? Is Upstate NY worth it? What are the best cities in Texas? Should I just fly from somewhere near New York to Texas, or should I get a bus or a train or something – is there somewhere to stop along the way?

For some background, I'm interested in small towns and checking out classic America but also obviously want a big city too where there are things to do, locations to see, great food to eat, I'm into my beers so stuff like that, live music, some culture, 'cool' sort of towns... not into your Las Vegas or theme park sort of thing.

I'll be there late July to late August, maybe early September.

As I'm flying to Perth, is it worth going to Los Angeles/San Francisco/California on the way back?

Cheers.

For Texas I recommend Austin. The city has everything. Head to Rainey Street for cool bars. (Stay at the Firehouse Hostel). If you are keen on Dallas head to Fort Worth - it is old school Texas. They have bull riding comps there and heaps of bars. Just remember summer is ridiculously hot in Texas.

I also reckon towns like Charleston (South Carolina) & Savannah (Georgia) are really cool places. It is like in the movies with moss on the trees and street lanterns. Plenty of rooftop bars. Pretty sure you can catch a Greyhound bus. There are no hostels but I stayed at Motel 6 or something similar for like $40 a night.

One of my favourite cities is Nashville. Plenty of great BBQ and friendly people. It has 3 areas - Downtown (full of honky tonks), East Nashville (sort of your hipster hangout) & Midtown (college kids and locals). Stay at Nashville Downtown Hostel.

You can go from New York - fly to Nashville - fly or bus to Atlanta - greyhound bus to Savannah - bus to Charleston - fly to Austin.

For internal flights from Charleston to Austin check prices at Southwest.com instead of skyscanner etc as they are cheaper on official website.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The vibe you're describing doesn't really exist in Dallas or Houston.
This is sort of helpful but please tell me what it does feel like.

I know that can be hard to quantify but what do you or don't you recommend about it?

For Texas I recommend Austin. The city has everything. Head to Rainey Street for cool bars. (Stay at the Firehouse Hostel). If you are keen on Dallas head to Fort Worth - it is old school Texas. They have bull riding comps there and heaps of bars. Just remember summer is ridiculously hot in Texas.

I also reckon towns like Charleston (South Carolina) & Savannah (Georgia) are really cool places. It is like in the movies with moss on the trees and street lanterns. Plenty of rooftop bars. Pretty sure you can catch a Greyhound bus. There are no hostels but I stayed at Motel 6 or something similar for like $40 a night.

One of my favourite cities is Nashville. Plenty of great BBQ and friendly people. It has 3 areas - Downtown (full of honky tonks), East Nashville (sort of your hipster hangout) & Midtown (college kids and locals). Stay at Nashville Downtown Hostel.

You can go from New York - fly to Nashville - fly or bus to Atlanta - greyhound bus to Savannah - bus to Charleston - fly to Austin.

For internal flights from Charleston to Austin check prices at Southwest.com instead of skyscanner etc as they are cheaper on official website.
Very informative post, another low-number poster, so thanks a lot for popping up and giving me a hand. I did consider those nearby places. Are they cheap towns? Nashville could be a good shout but I do not like country music and perhaps it's a little touristy and cheesy for me... Austin may be the place. I guess I'm looking for places a little like Seattle and Portland in that they don't have a million landmarks, but they have cool things to keep you entertained for three or four days – nice bars, excellent and cheap food, some good shopping... just cool places to wander around in, rather than places where you run around and have to see three landmarks per day.

How worthwhile is Fort Worth? Will only see Dallas if that place is cool, I guess.

Is this all too much to cram in in like six weeks? I went to London for four nights and ended up staying for nearly over a week, so I guess the same will happen in New York City as well.

blakey_10

Debutant
Aug 2, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Fulham

I know that can be hard to quantify but what do you or don't you recommend about it?

Very informative post, another low-number poster, so thanks a lot for popping up and giving me a hand. I did consider those nearby places. Are they cheap towns? Nashville could be a good shout but I do not like country music and perhaps it's a little touristy and cheesy for me... Austin may be the place. I guess I'm looking for places a little like Seattle and Portland in that they don't have a million landmarks, but they have cool things to keep you entertained for three or four days – nice bars, excellent and cheap food, some good shopping... just cool places to wander around in, rather than places where you run around and have to see three landmarks per day.

How worthwhile is Fort Worth? Will only see Dallas if that place is cool, I guess.

Is this all too much to cram in in like six weeks? I went to London for four nights and ended up staying for nearly over a week, so I guess the same will happen in New York City as well.

Charleston and Savannah are bit more expensive but not too bad. Every bar has good happy hour deals and they both sort of college towns so caters for all.

I can understand the not liking country music part...i didn't until I first visited but it grows on you. It is quite touristy however the tourists i found were all over from USA. I have been twice and heading back for my third visit in May. Not many tourist attractions but the culture and lifestyle of the south. I have spent 2 weeks in the city and saw Johnny Cash museum and country hall of fame/museum. No pressure to sight-see. I just bar hopped, ate bbq and mingled with the locals.

I didn't mind Dallas. Would only spend 2-3 days. JFK museum and Cowboy stadium tour. Fort Worth is about 45 min away i think.

6 weeks is plenty.

Dec 28, 2011
Denver
AFL Club
Gold Coast

I don't recommend Dallas because the city is pretty sterile and I don't recommend Houston because it's a giant sprawl of a city with miserable traffic and very few walkable neighborhoods. Both cities aren't very walkable, which for me is a big red flag if I'm trying to feel a city's vibe, as I'd rather be on foot when exploring a new city rather than constantly having to be in a car to get around.

I agree with all of Blakey's recommendations. Nashville, Savannah, Austin and Charleston are all fine cities. Your idea to go to both major cities in the Pacific Northwest is a good one too, Portland and Seattle are fun places to just wander around in.

Dec 20, 2011
south oz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
seahawks, Purdue, Pacers
Yeah Lason has it spot on. Both huge cities, tall buildings, not really walkable and nothing much going on around the downtown areas. The cities he mentioned in his last paragraph along with New Orleans are more exciting, better architecture, more green spaces and the atmosphere is much better. I didnt do anything much touristy things in New Orleans but its a ripper city just to walk around, its so unique and full of characters.

I'd add the midwest is pretty underrated, some really cool cities that don't get a mention. Places like Pittsburgh, Columbus and Madison are really good and of course Chicago is in the area. Indy isnt too bad but i was there for the Pacers and to stay at my mates fraternity. Wanted to check out Kansas City but didn't have time, heard from a few people that the food is the best.

Dec 20, 2011
south oz
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
seahawks, Purdue, Pacers
I'll be in Austin in May - I see San Antonio is only a little over an hour away. Is it worth doing a trip there for the day?
For a day trip, yeah absolutely. Austin is much more exciting but SA is pretty unique and you could cross off the main sights in just a day. The riverwalk, the Alamo and even check out a Spurs playoff game if lucky. I didn't bother with the Tower of the Americas since i didnt want to pay for a ticket but afterwards a local told me that if you go up to the bar/restaurant which is up the top, you don't have to buy a ticket.

Anyone here been to Lake Tahoe? I've seen photos and it looks amazing!
Spent 3-4 days there around April several years ago now and was lucky enough to catch a late snowfall so stayed a day longer than we'd originally planned

I really liked it - spectacular scenery

It's also on the California-Nevada border so you have the weird sight of a relatively normal resort town then you cross the street and its flashing lights and casinos

Mar 15, 2010
at the track
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns
heading over in late August/early September for 3 weeks with the Mrs for our honeymoon wanting to go to LA, SF and Las Vegas and New York and Boston and some cites in between maybe New Orleans and Nashville.

couple questions
1) will 3 weeks or about 23 days be enough time
2) will 6K be enough money for both of us!

made her go in September so I could catch a college football and NFL game.

cheers.

Dec 28, 2011
Denver
AFL Club
Gold Coast
heading over in late August/early September for 3 weeks with the Mrs for our honeymoon wanting to go to LA, SF and Las Vegas and New York and Boston and some cites in between maybe New Orleans and Nashville.

couple questions
1) will 3 weeks or about 23 days be enough time
2) will 6K be enough money for both of us!

made her go in September so I could catch a college football and NFL game.

cheers.

Depends on what you're trying to do in each city, but it does seem like a tight squeeze time wise. 6k will be a tight squeeze as well, especially since you're going to expensive cities like LA, SF, Vegas and New York.

Back