Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone ever stayed at the Disney resort ? Its pretty exsensive and we are weighing up whether we stay there a few nights or just stay nearby .
Kids will be 6 and 4 when we head over

Any thoughts appreciated
It gets you in half an hour or an hour earlier than everyone else.
Thats good to get on the busy rides but young kids are going to want the less busy kiddy ones probably ?? (non rollercoaster)
Do the maths and see the time advantage v extra $$$.
I just went to Tokyo Disney
Got a free shuttle from the hotel and still queued for an hour to get in,I dont remember the American ones being that busy but it has been a long time ago.

Anyone ever stayed at the Disney resort ? Its pretty exsensive and we are weighing up whether we stay there a few nights or just stay nearby .
Kids will be 6 and 4 when we head over

Any thoughts appreciated
Anaheim or Orlando?

we did Anaheim a few years ago, but stayed a block away from Disneyland and walked to and from each day. was still over $200 a night but from what I could gather, that was still a lot cheaper than staying at the resort

Over rated, but try and stay close by so you can do a morning session, then go home for lunch, rest up and go back again in the arvo.
I can't imagine spending a whole day there with kids that young.
+1 to this.

Go when the gates first open and then head back to your hotel around lunchtime and come back later that afternoon in time for the parade that night.

+1 to this.

Go when the gates first open and then head back to your hotel around lunchtime and come back later that afternoon in time for the parade that night.
Its definitely worth avoiding Disney food though in the US its hard to tell the difference inside and outside the park sometimes

question? Im flying Perth to Sydney-Dallas. via qantas. will i need to pick up my baggage in sydney domestic? Or will it get put through automatically?

It’ll go straight there but if you’re coming back that same way you’d have to pick it up in Sydney.

OK people. After some advice please.

I am heading to America for a bit over 2 weeks in early January. Flying in and out of LA.

LA - 3 nights
Vegas - 3 nights
San Francisco - 5 nights
6 nights TBC
LA - 1 night

My questions:

1) I haven't been to LA in well over 15 years. Best area to stay?

2) Vegas. When I went I stayed at Caesar's. Happy to fork out to stay there again, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

3) 6 nights TBC. Really not sure where to go, but am wanting to stay away from anywhere too cold. Thinking New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Nashville. I've done Austin so don't want to go there this time around. Looking at splitting the 6 nights in two places.

Any thoughts?

I am heading to America for a bit over 2 weeks in early January. Flying in and out of LA.

LA - 3 nights
Vegas - 3 nights
San Francisco - 5 nights
6 nights TBC
LA - 1 night

My questions:

2) Vegas. When I went I stayed at Caesar's. Happy to fork out to stay there again, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

3) 6 nights TBC. Really not sure where to go, but am wanting to stay away from anywhere too cold. Thinking New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix, Nashville. I've done Austin so don't want to go there this time around. Looking at splitting the 6 nights in two places.

Any thoughts?
1. West Hollywood
2. Harrahs if you want something cheaper but still in a good location, right in the middle of the strip
3. New Orleans and Nashville. Take a day trip to Memphis if you want to see Beale St and Graceland.

\

My questions:

Any thoughts?

1. West Hollywood

3. I'm a big fan of Nashville, Don't care too much for the other places.

Would do 3 days in New Orleans and 3 day in Dallas.

Always depends on what you want to do. Dallas has some great history with JFK and the underrated George W Bush Presidential library. If you are there on the weekend it's worth a trip to Fort Worth to see the Rodeo. Dallas can be freezing cold in Jan though. I was there Jan 2018 and on one evening it was -15c!

New Orleans is more than Bourbon St as well. Do Frenchman St if you are after a more authentic Jazz experience. Bourbon St is mainly cover bands. For me, the food is worth the trip to NO on its own. Enjoy your trip.

It gets you in half an hour or an hour earlier than everyone else.
Thats good to get on the busy rides but young kids are going to want the less busy kiddy ones probably ?? (non rollercoaster)
Do the maths and see the time advantage v extra $$$.
I just went to Tokyo Disney
Got a free shuttle from the hotel and still queued for an hour to get in,I dont remember the American ones being that busy but it has been a long time ago.

That catch on that is that it is only select days you get the early entry and late close. So in general they are the busiest days at the park due to people staying at the resorts choosing to go on those days. Although if your there in peak period it will be packed every day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want to go to the JFK museum you must book tickets online. You can't buy tickets once you get there.
I was there in August and I showed up when it opened at 10am and there was 5 people in front of me waiting to buy tickets. Well worth the visit.

If you want to go to the JFK museum you must book tickets online. You can't buy tickets once you get there.
IIRC, when I went we just walked in (after paying an entry fee, I assume). This was 2003 so no doubt things have changed.

The museum is definitely worth checking out. When I was there it was very much set up with no conspiracy aspect.

LA - 3 nights
Vegas - 3 nights
San Francisco - 5 nights
6 nights TBC
LA - 1 night

My questions:

Any thoughts?

1. Santa Monica is really nice.
2. Can't go wrong with Caesar's.
3. I've personally heard amazing things about Nashville.

Have nutted out our plan finally:

Venice
San Diego for Christmas
Dallas (Cowboys game)
Chicago (American football gig)
New York
Boston (Bruins game)
San Fran
Hollywood

Also got a period of 3 days that we haven't planned yet. Will lie on the Divisional round of playoffs so hopefully the cowboys get sent to either New Orleans or Seattle.

Have nutted out our plan finally:

Venice
San Diego for Christmas
Dallas (Cowboys game)
Chicago (American football gig)
New York
Boston (Bruins game)
San Fran
Hollywood

Also got a period of 3 days that we haven't planned yet. Will lie on the Divisional round of playoffs so hopefully the cowboys get sent to either New Orleans or Seattle.

a tip if I may

add in Philadelphia its a amazing city, and catch the amtrack train

philly-NY- Boston

LA - 3 nights
Vegas - 3 nights
San Francisco - 5 nights
6 nights TBC
LA - 1 night

My questions:

Any thoughts?
I was in San Antonio this time last year. Awesome city but it is hard to get a direct flight so if you dont want to do Austin which i would suggest maybe look else where.

Unless you like country and wineries because you could drive from San Antonio to Fredricksburg for a few days. Only place in Tecas that allows you to drink in public. Its only a town of 10k and isnt a messy party town either. Plus there are some cool places close by like Lockenbach & biggest ww2 pacific war museum in the world

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone had any experience staying in Venice, CA or in the back bay area in Boston?
Caught the train from NY up to Boston, got off at Back Bay & stayed in a hotel on Boylston.
Ok area with plenty of places to eat/drink. A nice long walk into central Boston via the Common or catch the underground train from Copley.
One night I walked the other way to Fenway for a Sox game.
Good spot, nothing amazing, but out of the hurly burly and still easy to get around.

I've only just started my USA exploration, hoping to do allot more this coming year.

I've done New York a fair but so will comment on that

1. New York is one of the few things in life that live up to expectations, the place is incredible.

2. It almost doesn't matter where you stay in the city, you can get anywhere relatively easily and its safe (I'm including Brooklyn in this)

3. Save your money and find somewhere out of the centre of Manhattan to eat, its better food and more genuine,

4. You can lose a day in the Park, I haven't been there in summer yet but even in Winter you can spend a day wondering and chilling out.

5. Three days minimum for this place, in fact I'd say closer to 5.

6. Museum of natural history is s**t, Museum of modern art is not (This is coming from a finance guy who finds most artistic ventures a pile of meh).

7. New Yorkers on the whole are nice people, I'm yet to get the whole pushy or self centered vibe I keep hearing about.

8. You have to climb Empire state building as its part of the New York experience but Rockefeller and top of the rock are better view wise.

9. Wall street is a little underwhelming

10. Any bar you walk into in New York is good fun, unlike the rest of the world you don't have to look up where to go on particular nights.

More will come to me later.
What makes new york special and worth seeing?

What makes new york special and worth seeing?

Beyond my list? (I've been back a couple of times since).

Overall it's impossible to see everything in one visit and there are what seem like endless options for all stages of life (young/old,single/relationship, kids/no kids). The options are also world-class, most cities seem to only do a few things really well, NYC, in my opinion, does everything really well.

What are you looking for?

LA - 3 nights
Vegas - 3 nights
San Francisco - 5 nights
6 nights TBC
LA - 1 night

My questions:

Any thoughts?

Is a road trip not possible? LA > Joshua Tree > Vegas > (Grand Canyon chopper) > Death Valley > Sequoia NP > Yosemite NP > San Fran > Highway 1 > LA. Chance of snow around Yosemite, but I would think there must be a way to navigate around it.

If you want to stick with your plan, New Orleans would be my choice from your list. Nashville has a bit going for it, but the others are generic cities and you'd be better off just going back to Austin (if you know what's what in Austin ... I lived there for 7 years).

I've seen almost everything worth seeing in the US, and the best way to do it is road tripping through coastlines, national parks, mountain ranges, small towns, with maybe a few bigger cities along the way. Different strokes, I suppose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back