Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where are you looking at flights? Expedia shows about $100 difference between Green Bay and Milwaukee from LAX.

Are you looking to fly in and fly out the same day? Probably a lot of people flying in and out on game day.

While driving itself is very easy Car hire isn't cheap and would add about $200-300 a day.

Yeah was looking at flying in on the Saturday of a game weekend, and then flying out the next Friday (the day after another game), it's just too much, especially with our exchange rate. Better off leaving it as a fantasy that something that is realistic for me at the moment.

deck

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Yeah was looking at flying in on the Saturday of a game weekend, and then flying out the next Friday (the day after another game), it's just too much, especially with our exchange rate. Better off leaving it as a fantasy that something that is realistic for me at the moment.
Not sure you would want to do a week in Green Bay without a car.

Although the exchange rate could be better historically $0.70-0.74 is about the best you could hope with the exception of a few freak events.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

It's a shame it's located where it is, I wanted to try the last time I was in Chicago just to do a stadium tour but It's a lot of effort to make even from Chicago.

Dirty Bird

Pokémon Master
Aug 1, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
#BostonStrong #RiseUp
GF and I considering going to USA.

She is desperate to go to Disneyland so wanna do the 3 day package or something like that (not just 1 day)

We want to do say 7 days LA/7 days NYC.

How much do you think we need to have to have a good holiday without stressing about money?

Return flights $2k?
accommodation $4k?
spending $250min per day?

more or less?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm currently trying to look into stuff myself (September next year) and accommodation seems to have skyrocketed in America compared to when I was there in 2014. And I'm looking at Seattle/Boise/motels near Yellowstone. Not even looking at LA/NYC

I wouldn't at all be shocked if that blows out an extra $3k+ and you're looking at closer to $7k for LA/NYC (NYC Was already stupid expensive.)

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm currently trying to look into stuff myself (September next year) and accommodation seems to have skyrocketed in America compared to when I was there in 2014. And I'm looking at Seattle/Boise/motels near Yellowstone. Not even looking at LA/NYC

I went to America in 2013 when the AUD to USD was good value, stayed at some of the same hotels later in 2016 and 18 and I was paying atleast $300-400 more.

00Stinger

100 - 7
May 8, 2007
@ HOME
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool & San Francisco 49ers
Never feel threatened in all my visits to USA however in saying that most of my visits have been to my friends in Boston plus NYC, LA and Vegas.

Have deliberately stayed away from Texas - don’t trust the mother*ers.
Nah Texas is a ******* awesome place

Saw a few people carrying guns openly in a couple of towns but didn't feel threatened at all. In fact I've been around a lot of America having family over there and would say Texas had the friendliest people and felt almost the safest

kirky

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
I highly recommend doing the Graceland tour in Memphis.

It's the best tour I have ever done.

From thr Elvis mansion to the museum and even the aeroplane it really is incredible how they have set everything up there on that property.

Agree and I’m not an Elvis fan.

Memphis itself is not what I expected at all. Disappointed but I was in Downtown in late autumn (it even snowed whilst I was there).

Am off to Boston in about 6 weeks for a birthday - away in USA for just 5 days. So looking forward to getting on an international flight.

deck

Premiership Player
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU

I wouldn't at all be shocked if that blows out an extra $3k+ and you're looking at closer to $7k for LA/NYC (NYC Was already stupid expensive.)
Exchange rate to then adds about 30% on top of what you paid without taking in inflation and covid costs on top.

Weird thing is I booked a hotel in NYC early January and it is cheaper and nicer and better located than the one I stayed in late October early November 2012. So timing is everything when it comes to hotel and flights costs.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 2, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree and I’m not an Elvis fan.

Memphis itself is not what I expected at all. Disappointed but I was in Downtown in late autumn (it even snowed whilst I was there).

Am off to Boston in about 6 weeks for a birthday - away in USA for just 5 days. So looking forward to getting on an international flight.
You can do Memphis in a day quite easily.
Graceland, Beale St at night and maybe Sun Studios if you love music.

Nashville is the better place to go in Tennessee. You can easily spend 3-4 days in Nashville.

kirky

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide

Nashville is the better place to go in Tennessee. You can easily spend 3-4 days in Nashville.

Yes, only spent two days in Memphis and had 3 days in Nashville. Loved Nashville.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Thought Memphis was good for Graceland and thats about it.

Remove this Banner Ad