Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

This topic always pops up.
Me personally, I want to do a contiki before and after my states trip.
That is. Do like the southern tour, then do my time in America doing what I want, then finish off with a contiki across the top of the USA.

I say that as there is so much to do in the states seeing it all would take more than 6 weeks and more than my allocated budget.
I want to meet new people and make new friends and possibly be a little out of my comfort zone.

Also, friends of mine who have done the contiki tours over the US have all loved it. And highly recommend it.
I'm going to be a 27yo probably single male when I go. It has been suggested that I will certainly enjoy.

I'd say go for it.
I loved my 6 week European contiki tour that I did last year.
6 weeks of organisation taken care of for me was fantastic because although I'm capable of doubt it, I'd likely forget something major.
Being stuck with the same people for 6 weeks might not be ideal sometimes but even if you make just a handful of good friends, your set. I now have 5 people who I regard some of my dearest friends despite none of them living in the same state and 2 don't even live in this country.

One of the first things they told us one the coach was that everyone chooses to go about contiki in different ways and to respect that. Some will drink themselves stupid while other will actually want to see the sights. Same applies to travel in general, if you want to do a contiki tour do it. It's your money, your time and your experience

I've taken a Contiki tour in USA and I have also done my own way using greyhound.
Believe me that Contiki is a far better option to get around on the bus.
There are so many weirdos on the greyhound and it's a bit uncomfortable.
At least with Contiki you are with people your own age and you make loads of friends, even if most of them are Aussies.

I've taken a Contiki tour in USA and I have also done my own way using greyhound.
At least with Contiki you are with people your own age and you make loads of friends, even if most of them are Aussies.

A bit uncomfortable? haha

Greyhound America must intentionally build their bus stations dodgy on purpose, and once you get past the freak show that is the station, you have to try and survive the torture that is the uncomfortable bus ride.

However, they are dirt cheap and perfect for budget travellers. (if you dont get stabbed)

Greyhound is a shocking way to get around too.
You can fly anywhere really easily and relatively cheaply or hire a car and do it yourself!

If you're traveling around America and you have 2, 3 or 4 people going - it's just as cheap and easy to hire a care.

Plus you get to go where you want, stop when you want and go to the diverse players you see along the way.

You (should) already have travel insurance and splitting the driving and petrol makes it much cheaper than bus, train or even plane flights.

With a GPS, driving in the states is piss easy, don't take the easy option of doing a contiki tour.

If you're traveling around America and you have 2, 3 or 4 people going - it's just as cheap and easy to hire a care.

Plus you get to go where you want, stop when you want and go to the diverse players you see along the way.

You (should) already have travel insurance and splitting the driving and petrol makes it much cheaper than bus, train or even plane flights.

With a GPS, driving in the states is piss easy, don't take the easy option of doing a contiki tour.

Priblem is I'm going on my own. Well, it's not a problem as such, but I'm probably going on my own.

Contiki, everything's paid for.
I'll make some new friends.
I'll end up being a bit outta my comfort zone, but it's part of the experience.
It'll be a bit go go go, but it's going to give me a taste of places and ultimately I can say been there and done that.

Priblem is I'm going on my own. Well, it's not a problem as such, but I'm probably going on my own.

That's fair enough and I did qualify my statement a few days ago by saying i didnt have a problem with people traveling by themselves going on contiki tours.

You will still have an awesome time but may get a bit frustrated by having to follow a solid structured itinerary. But that's nothing as you will still have an awesome time.

So it turns out when I'll be in New York the Yankees will be playing the Red Sox. Anyone have any experience on the best thing to do regarding tickets? Also, is it true that there's no drinking at games?

No drinking at baseball? That's half the purpose....

Sale of beer in the seating areas will end two hours after the start of the game or in the middle of the seventh inning, whichever comes first. General sale of alcoholic beverages at all other non-Premium locations in Yankee Stadium will end at the conclusion of the seventh inning.

That's fair enough and I did qualify my statement a few days ago by saying i didnt have a problem with people traveling by themselves going on contiki tours.

You will still have an awesome time but may get a bit frustrated by having to follow a solid structured itinerary. But that's nothing as you will still have an awesome time.

That's cool.

Again I'm very very early on in the peace to planning. And I hate being tied to an itinerary like that myself. but I'll be doing it for the experience.
This is why after it I'm off to do what I wish.
As I said I'm going to watch sport. If I was solely doing a contiki, my luck will have on a Sunday arvo Dallas playing whoever and I'm stuck at a fricken museum or something. That would piss me Off no end. So. Suck it up and once I'm off contiki do what I want how I feel and not miss out.

So it turns out when I'll be in New York the Yankees will be playing the Red Sox. Anyone have any experience on the best thing to do regarding tickets? Also, is it true that there's no drinking at games?

stubhub.com is the place to go.

I am going back in June and am off to catch a Padres game, really looking forward to it.

Still have to do that VISA waiver crap with the states, but it lasts 2 years from when you first used it. Just need to reactivate it. SAVE $14! CHYEAH!

Just a quick question.

I was in the US in November and did that stuff. Do you just go back to the website to reactivate?

Going back in June, so your info will help.

Cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Planning a trip to the US for about 6 weeks at the end of the year. With the US Dollar getting so high at the moment was thinking of cashing some in now. Was thinking of using a pre-paid Mastercard travel card. Is this the best way to go with using money over there? Or is there a better way with less fees etc?

Get a "28 Degrees" MasterCard. Used to be called the "Wizard Clear Advantage" MasterCard. Live exchange rate, no fees, no cash advance fees.

You can put the card into positive credit, then just use it as an ATM card. It is THE best card for O/S travel.

No drinking at baseball? That's half the purpose....

Thank the sweet lord. Baseball would come after basketball, grid iron and ice hockey for me so I was hoping some beer would be available. Especially sonar the red sox Yankees atmosphere will mean party time.

stubhub.com is the place to go.

I am going back in June and am off to catch a Padres game, really looking forward to it.

Thanks for that bro!

Just a quick question.

I was in the US in November and did that stuff. Do you just go back to the website to reactivate?

Going back in June, so your info will help.

Cheers
Have to reactivate it, don't have to pay again that's all

Ok, here;s my plan of attack

Arrive in Miami on 30th march 3 days
New Orleans for 4 days
Dallas 2 days
San Antoni 1 day
LA 3 days
Vegas 4 days
3 days of California road tripping to San Fran
San Fran for 4 nights
3 nights between San Fran and Seattle
Seattle for a day
2 days in Milwaukee
4 nights in Chicargo
Night in cleveland
2 nights in Buffalo (niagra Falls)
4 nights in Boston
4 nights in new York
2 Nights in Atlantic City
1 day in Washington
1 day In Atlanta

2 basketball games, Wrestlmania, However still got to fill in some time, Any suggestions from fellow travelers of some must see destinations? Comming from perth i havent really talked to many people about what to do, got a vague plan, however any hints or tips of things to do?

I just got back from 6 weeks in North America (Predominately the USA, but also Mexico and Canada). I would advise against spending less than 3 nights anywhere; unless it's 1 night whilst you're on the road. It's a personal thing I suppose, but how much can you say about a city if you are only there for 1 day/night?

"Nice spot, but I was pretty rushed..."

I really enjoyed my time in Washington - biggest surprise of my trip - but if you only have 1 night there, you may as well scrap it and add an extra night to New York.

San Antonio - why not just add an extra night to Dallas; particularly if you know a local. Nothing against SA as I've never been there, but again, what impression do you think you'll get from 1 night there? It's one of the most populated cities in the US.

If you're doing Niagra Falls, it's a squillion times better from the Canadian side. However, I realise this may not be practical. Either way, if you do it, do the maid of the mist.

As for your California to San Francisco drive, you can do a drive from San Diego to San Francisco in 2 days pretty comfortably. If you were leaving from LA it would be even quicker. Stopping somewhere like Morro Bay (little coastal town north of LA) for the afternoon/night, then leave the following morning for a pleasant cruise along the Pacific Coast HWY, finally arriving in San Francisco in the late afternoon of the same day. That might get you another night in Seattle/Vancouver/Wherever...

As an aside if you're travelling around California, I'd recommend checking out San Diego. There is also a couple of universities i.e. plenty to do at night. Plus, coming from Perth you should appreciate the nice beaches to chill out at during the day as well.

I'm hoping i can get to Canada as well for a day or two, two openings, if i can gun it past cleveland, and snub Niagra falls and a day in boston, wind up in Toronto (however we have a hired car)

Other option is smashing through the san fran/seattle and doing it in a 12-14 hour, getting to seattle and dropping our car off early, then flying to vancouver and back

IMO if you're going to 'smash' through it, you may as well fly. Canada is certainly worth visiting, if it is going to be rushed though, you may be better off leaving it for another trip, where it is the focus.

As an aside - and this may not bet a concern for you - organising a VISA into Canada can be problematic depending on your criminal history. Minor offences in Australia (e.g. drink driving) aren't considered so minor over there making entry problematic (unless you lie of course).

Tourist perspective Toronto doesn't have much to offer, great place to live but not much by way of sights. Niagara is a little overated, I'd definitely go with the second option if I were you. San Fran is mean't to be incredible and Vancouver and the surrounds are quite breathtaking.

Stay in the states as long as possible.

I actually liked Toronto, sure it doesn't have the 'Statue of Liberty' things for tourists to tick off, but there is always a heap going on. That's actually one of the things I like most about it to be honest, you could just kick back and explore without worrying about the 'we need to do this, then we need to do that...' stuff that you can get caught up in whilst travelling.

Also thought Niagra Falls was incredible...

In saying that Vancouver is an awesome city. It was certainly one of the best places we visited; has it all going for it really. If I was picking between Toronto and Vancouver, it'd be the Canucks every day of the week.

New York vs Red Sox - there is nothing better than this. I dare you to go there with Red Sox gear on!

Beer and hot dogs are one of the staples of the US sport experience. No need to worry, have been to basketball and baseball games and beer is always available (probably not if you went to Utah) but certainly available everywhere else.

Not sure about the tickets tho.

I just got back from 6 weeks in North America (Predominately the USA, but also Mexico and Canada). I would advise against spending less than 3 nights anywhere; unless it's 1 night whilst you're on the road. It's a personal thing I suppose, but how much can you say about a city if you are only there for 1 day/night?

"Nice spot, but I was pretty rushed..."

I really enjoyed my time in Washington - biggest surprise of my trip - but if you only have 1 night there, you may as well scrap it and add an extra night to New York.

San Antonio - why not just add an extra night to Dallas; particularly if you know a local. Nothing against SA as I've never been there, but again, what impression do you think you'll get from 1 night there? It's one of the most populated cities in the US.

If you're doing Niagra Falls, it's a squillion times better from the Canadian side. However, I realise this may not be practical. Either way, if you do it, do the maid of the mist.

As for your California to San Francisco drive, you can do a drive from San Diego to San Francisco in 2 days pretty comfortably. If you were leaving from LA it would be even quicker. Stopping somewhere like Morro Bay (little coastal town north of LA) for the afternoon/night, then leave the following morning for a pleasant cruise along the Pacific Coast HWY, finally arriving in San Francisco in the late afternoon of the same day. That might get you another night in Seattle/Vancouver/Wherever...

As an aside if you're travelling around California, I'd recommend checking out San Diego. There is also a couple of universities i.e. plenty to do at night. Plus, coming from Perth you should appreciate the nice beaches to chill out at during the day as well.

IMO if you're going to 'smash' through it, you may as well fly. Canada is certainly worth visiting, if it is going to be rushed though, you may be better off leaving it for another trip, where it is the focus.

As an aside - and this may not bet a concern for you - organising a VISA into Canada can be problematic depending on your criminal history. Minor offences in Australia (e.g. drink driving) aren't considered so minor over there making entry problematic (unless you lie of course).

I actually liked Toronto, sure it doesn't have the 'Statue of Liberty' things for tourists to tick off, but there is always a heap going on. That's actually one of the things I like most about it to be honest, you could just kick back and explore without worrying about the 'we need to do this, then we need to do that...' stuff that you can get caught up in whilst travelling.

Also thought Niagra Falls was incredible...

In saying that Vancouver is an awesome city. It was certainly one of the best places we visited; has it all going for it really. If I was picking between Toronto and Vancouver, it'd be the Canucks every day of the week.

Need to agree with the three nights rule otherwise you just seem to be spend time in a car or in an airport. Would remove all the one dayers - San Antonio (its got the Alamo and thats about all), Cleveland, Atlanta and Washington - you can better use the time as doing those cities in one day is not worth it.

If you are going to travel from LA to San Fran do it by the coast - see Hearst Castle along the way. San Luis Obispo is a good little town (college town). If your into golf look at the sand courses near Monterey (Pebble Beach etc).

You can get from Seattle to Vancouver in about three hours so you could drop the car off in Vancouver and then fly to your next destination. Vancouver is my favourite city in the world - its clean, has everything from the sea to the mountains and has vibrant areas all within downtown. But then I'm baised towards Canada and the Rocky Mountains.

Don't need a visa to enter Canada as a tourist unless you have prior convictions.

New York vs Red Sox - there is nothing better than this. I dare you to go there with Red Sox gear on!

Beer and hot dogs are one of the staples of the US sport experience. No need to worry, have been to basketball and baseball games and beer is always available (probably not if you went to Utah) but certainly available everywhere else.

Not sure about the tickets tho.
Hey man, I may be a dime a dozen fan on baseball, but I'm a Yankee. Wouldn't do it to myself. Wouldn't be so sure I'd do it as a Sox fan either...

Here's. Question and suppose its each to Thier own, but-

How far out from a trip would you expect to book. Flights, rooms, tickets to events etc etc.

I guess everyone's experiences will be different. Or priorities so to speak.

Just adding my bit. I'm planning sept-oct 2013. I'm expecting to book around may.

Lemme know :thumbsu:

Hey man, I may be a dime a dozen fan on baseball, but I'm a Yankee. Wouldn't do it to myself. Wouldn't be so sure I'd do it as a Sox fan either...

You can try on stubhub.com for tickets,

http://www.stubhub.com/new-york-yankees-tickets/yankees-vs-red-sox-7-27-2012-2009270/

You can get great seats but be prepared to pay a premium! A lot of people put their tickets up with big prices just to see if someone will bite!

If not there will be scalpers galore if you want to take the risk.

Just a comment: I have to say I noticed very little difference in the southwest from my trip in 1996 to my trip in 2011.

Same outlet malls. Same theme parks (though Disney California Adventure was only under construction when I went in 96). Same chain shops. Same fast food joints. Same Home Shopping crud.

It's like time stood still yet all we hear about the US is the "energy" and "go get em" attitude.

Has anybody been to Seattle? Is it worth visiting? If so, what is there to see/do there?

I lived there for 2 years and have been back 5 times over the past 6 years.

It is worth visiting for sure. The waterfront and Pike Place market are really nice. You have to go to the Space Needle for the views. A trip on one of the ferries is also a good way to spend a few hours.

A visit to the Boeing factory is well worth it - to see the largest building in the world is pretty unique. They run Greyhound bus tours to Everett if you don't want to drive (it is about an hour north of the city).

Depending on the time of year, you should go to a baseball game or NFL game, they have two of the better stadiums around.

And you can easily take the 3 hour drive north to Vancouver if you want to see some of Canada.

I lived there for 2 years and have been back 5 times over the past 6 years.

It is worth visiting for sure. The waterfront and Pike Place market are really nice. You have to go to the Space Needle for the views. A trip on one of the ferries is also a good way to spend a few hours.

A visit to the Boeing factory is well worth it - to see the largest building in the world is pretty unique. They run Greyhound bus tours to Everett if you don't want to drive (it is about an hour north of the city).

Depending on the time of year, you should go to a baseball game or NFL game, they have two of the better stadiums around.

And you can easily take the 3 hour drive north to Vancouver if you want to see some of Canada.

:thumbsu:

Agree. Was there in May 2008 for three days and amazingly it was fine and warm with no rain:eek:. Went to Boeing Factory (you can book tickets online), drove to Mt Rainer NP (just south of Seattle) and Cascades NP (north of Seattle) and did an "Underground Tour" and the Space Needle.

A good city to go to and only a stones throw from Vancouver. The whole north west is great part of the USA/Canada.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back