Travel USA travel tips and tricks

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
What's up bros?

Bit the bullet and jumped on some damn cheap flights next May ($1400, awyeh)
Basically going to be on the ground for 14 days, but still working out an actual game-plan.
After being bitterly disappointed with LA my main objective is to avoid the bigger cities and see some of the smaller places America has to offer. Also wouldn't mind having a crack at renting a car and driving.

This is a rough itinery I have thus far;
Fly into New Orleans
New Orleans (4 nights)
Vicksburg (1 night)
Memphis (2 nights)
Nashville (2 nights)
Asheville (1 night)
Charleston (2 nights)
Savannah (1 night)
Atlanta (1 night)
Fly out of Atlanta

I'll look at a museum or two but my main interests will be in bars, food, art, and just meeting people and getting around the culture.
Nasheville and Memphis I'm not confident on.... Is there an appeal to Nasheville for someone who can't stand country?
Is Memphis worth it if you only have a passing interest in blues music?

Obviously N-O is a must.

Any suggestions or input anyone has will be hugely appreciated!

Jul 6, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
What's up bros?

Basically going to be on the ground for 14 days, but still working out an actual game-plan.
After being bitterly disappointed with LA my main objective is to avoid the bigger cities and see some of the smaller places America has to offer. Also wouldn't mind having a crack at renting a car and driving.

Fly into New Orleans
New Orleans (4 nights)
Vicksburg (1 night)
Memphis (2 nights)
Nashville (2 nights)
Asheville (1 night)
Charleston (2 nights)
Savannah (1 night)
Atlanta (1 night)
Fly out of Atlanta

I'll look at a museum or two but my main interests will be in bars, food, art, and just meeting people and getting around the culture.
Nasheville and Memphis I'm not confident on.... Is there an appeal to Nasheville for someone who can't stand country?

Obviously N-O is a must.

Plenty of different music in Memphis and Nashville, just find a bar playing the music you like. Don't like it, go to the next one. Gus's fried chicken in Memphis - worth the trip just for that, Peg Leg Porker, Hattie B's in Nashville, and the women in short skirts and shorts with cowboy boots.

!
Around the world airfare?
Because these days you can grab tickets to America for $900
Heck, I got tickets to America 1 week out for $1300 or something for super bowl 51....

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Heck, I got tickets to America 1 week out for $1300 or something for super bowl 51....
Perhaps they are in and out of New Orleans or somewhere small like Baton Rouge?

But I agree, I just booked again for April, to fly into Birmingham, AL and out of Milwaukee, WI- from Sydney, and it only cost me $1220. $1400 does seem very, very high.

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
Perhaps they are in and out of New Orleans or somewhere small like Baton Rouge?

But I agree, I just booked again for April, to fly into Birmingham, AL and out of Milwaukee, WI- from Sydney, and it only cost me $1220. $1400 does seem very, very high.
Way to kill my buzz, you monsters.

Bear in mind I'm flying Kalgoorlie-Perth-Sydney-LAX-N-O and back :(

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders

$1400 is actually very good value in that case :thumbsu:

Living on the East Coast (albeit still regionally in Orange), I take these types of things for granted, but the cost from Sydney to Kalgoorlie can often be $750 return, so I actually think you've got an excellent deal :thumbsu:

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
$1400 is actually very good value in that case :thumbsu:

Living on the East Coast (albeit still regionally in Orange), I take these types of things for granted, but the cost from Sydney to Kalgoorlie can often be $750 return, so I actually think you've got an excellent deal :thumbsu:
Thanks; I feel better now :D

When it comes to travelling to the States living on the West Coast makes it way harder than it needs to be. Sigh.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What's up bros?

Yes for Nashville, no interest in country music but it is one of my favourite American cities.

Personally i'll say no for Memphis if you are not going to see Graceland and see Nashville anyway.

Always forget about coming from the west coast. 1400 is great for that itinerary
I would have considered going the other way though.

Stay close to Beale Street, have stayed at the Peabody and Holiday Inn, both much the same, Peabody has the old charm. Make sure you get to Gus' Fried Chicken

I'm staying near Graceland. It's only $4 for an all day bus pass so you can pretty much ride around and see everything if you can't stay in the city.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm staying near Graceland. It's only $4 for an all day bus pass so you can pretty much ride around and see everything if you can't stay in the city.

I agree with the advice about staying near Beale and just get a Uber or the bus when you want to visit Graceland.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’ve always felt Memphis is overrated. Apart from Beale St and Graceland (that you’ll see once and that’s it), there is nothing else to do. Good for a day trip and that’s it. Nashville is so much better.

Did Memphis after Nashville and one day was enough, Good to see Graceland but thats all i enjoyed.

HigginsHawk

All Australian
Jun 10, 2005
Kippax
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Belconnen/Nth Hobart
What's up bros?

Fly into New Orleans
New Orleans (4 nights)

Obviously N-O is a must.

Heading to NOLA in Feb, will do a brief write up when I get back. I'm turning left out of NOLA and heading back Texas way though rather than Nashville etc. Going back to Houston, San Antonio and Austin to visit a few places I missed last time around.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Nah.

And this is a thread about travelling to America not living in it...
I know. I've been posting in it since the start.
You're understating your own back yard. A new county is always going to seem like it's better because the grass is always greener.

I love the States. I'd go there before pretty much any other country. Doesn't change that there's a lot of better things here.

So just recently got back from my trip.

Palm Springs/Dessert - Is a pretty sleepy town. Tbf this is what I expected though. I must say the mountains that surround the are are bloody spectacular

Temecula- Stayed out in the winery region which was fantastic. The wineries are all next door to each other so you can literally walk next door from winery to winery. Oldtown Temecula is pretty cool for a half day trip. The old buildings they have kept makes you feel like you have stepped back in time

San Diego - Was pretty enjoyable especially for kids. San Diego zoo is huge and if you want to explore Balboa Park it is a two day trip. Oldtown San Diego was really cool especially since I was there over the 'Day of the dead' celebrations. Mission beach area was nice and I even popped into Seaworld for a bit (Seaworld is NO good unless you have kids). Spent a day in La Jolla and a day downtown (Seaport village and the maritime museum were the highlights). I alos enjoyed the gaslamp district which would be awesome of a night time with all of the bars & restaurants.

FUS_RO_DAH

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2012
Kalgoorlie
AFL Club
Fremantle
I know. I've been posting in it since the start.
You're understating your own back yard. A new county is always going to seem like it's better because the grass is always greener.

I love the States. I'd go there before pretty much any other country. Doesn't change that there's a lot of better things here.
Few examples?

I loved the States but I dunno if I could live there...

Few examples?

I loved the States but I dunno if I could live there...
reasons why Australia is better than America? or reasons why America is better than Australia?

Back