Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t get charged extra if I missed my connection though and needed to be put on another flight? It’s all through the same airline

Through the same airline doesn’t matter one iota.

The question is whether it’s the same ticket or not.

If it’s the same ticket. There’s nothing to worry about.
If everything’s goes fine, you’re set. Straight on.
If you’re late leaving oz, late landing in lax, waiting for bags, whatever you can think of goes wrong. You’ll just get bumped to the next flight.
You’re viewed as a connecting passenger and you’re the airlines responsibility.
No money lost, nothing. Heck, you might even get food vouchers to spend at lax.

If the flights are 2 different tickets though, You better hope everything goes perfectly. Like, you would need no line at immigration, your bag to be one of the first on the carasoul, no line at customs, your connecting domestic flight to be in a terminal close to tbit, no line at check-in AND no line at security. Like, you’d need so many things to go perfectly, it’s nearly impossible to get through. And if you don’t get there in time. Goodbye the money you spent on that ticket. You have to buy another. And, I think the whole ticket is void, so the return flight you might need to pay as well now.

If they’re 2 different tickets. I would actually recommend changing it now, sure. It’ll cost a little bit of money now. But it’s better that way then losing it all.

Ps. If you’re not sure
If you’re flying United, check.

If you’re flying qantas, you’re fine. Qantas doesn’t have the rights for lax-jfk for individual sale. Has to be a connection. So you’re covered.

Anyone got any intel on the Bushwick area in Brooklyn?
I thought Brooklyn was going to be awesome. I'd see Beach Fossils walking around together, bodegas with interesting looking people out the front, constant hives and dense atmosphere. In reality it's as massively sprawled as anywhere else in New York City but with a lot less going on. It's not like here; there's no trendy strips let alone enclaves like Fitzroy with three or four streets all packed full of pubs, bars, clothes, cafés... it's a lot of walking. The parks are all really overgrown, there'll be heaps of industrial plants and warehouses. I dunno. Kinda sucked in my opinion. And most of the trendy venues aren't anything more visually eclectic nor appealing than a music venue in Perth or Adelaide.

Keen to hear your thoughts on it.

Heading over in a couple of weeks.

What’s the cost of booze like over there? I’ve heard varying things.

I’ve budgeted for food and attractions but am worried I could have a few messy nights over there which could leave me in a bad spot financially. Compared to Australia bars and clubs is it nearly as bad?
Cheap to buy from bodegas, cheaper to find a supermarket (though harder in more city areas, you could struggle). There's heaps of supermarkets though. PBR is a nice easy beer but it's also fun being overwhelmed by all these beers you've seen on TV before. They also have your normal sized cans and stubbies but they have these huge, borderline 650 ml bottles as well... imagine a king brown, or long neck as you say in Victoria, but in a can. Coors, Bud, Busch, Rolling Rock (this was one of my favourites, along with Mickeys)... It's cool. Beer in America is fun.

Also Four Loko. It's about 12.5%, 500ml, and I don't think you pay more than three bucks (American) for one. Honestly if you get a six pack of beer and one of those you'll be pretty much keen. They're fruity, available everywhere, and novel.

Drinking out was hit and miss for me. They drink weirdly in America. People will order trays of shots at 4pm and they're definitely right into that whole 'getting lit' thing. There's no gradual progression. It's pretty lame. Clubs are hard to find – you'll end up at massive drinking dens, sportsbar sorta things more – but when you get them in New York they're kinda boring or really really weird (Stratton Gun would be appalled – big black gay dudes in chains snorting molly off a pink dog toy all night sorta scene). I found it annoyingly expensive there, as you quite often have table service for a beer. Pints are rare. You'll be stung $6 for probably slightly less than a stubbie (but draught of course) with a beer that ain't that great and then a dollar tip on top.

If you're going with mates and pre-drinking, you'll be right. But it's a lot different. I dunno. I think the UK but especially Europe is the best place for drinking as a young person.

I thought Brooklyn was going to be awesome. I'd see Beach Fossils walking around together, bodegas with interesting looking people out the front, constant hives and dense atmosphere. In reality it's as massively sprawled as anywhere else in New York City but with a lot less going on. It's not like here; there's no trendy strips let alone enclaves like Fitzroy with three or four streets all packed full of pubs, bars, clothes, cafés... it's a lot of walking. The parks are all really overgrown, there'll be heaps of industrial plants and warehouses. I dunno. Kinda sucked in my opinion. And most of the trendy venues aren't anything more visually eclectic nor appealing than a music venue in Perth or Adelaide.

Keen to hear your thoughts on it.

Cheap to buy from bodegas, cheaper to find a supermarket (though harder in more city areas, you could struggle). There's heaps of supermarkets though. PBR is a nice easy beer but it's also fun being overwhelmed by all these beers you've seen on TV before. They also have your normal sized cans and stubbies but they have these huge, borderline 650 ml bottles as well... imagine a king brown, or long neck as you say in Victoria, but in a can. Coors, Bud, Busch, Rolling Rock (this was one of my favourites, along with Mickeys)... It's cool. Beer in America is fun.

Also Four Loko. It's about 12.5%, 500ml, and I don't think you pay more than three bucks (American) for one. Honestly if you get a six pack of beer and one of those you'll be pretty much keen. They're fruity, available everywhere, and novel.

Drinking out was hit and miss for me. They drink weirdly in America. People will order trays of shots at 4pm and they're definitely right into that whole 'getting lit' thing. There's no gradual progression. It's pretty lame. Clubs are hard to find – you'll end up at massive drinking dens, sportsbar sorta things more – but when you get them in New York they're kinda boring or really really weird (Stratton Gun would be appalled – big black gay dudes in chains snorting molly off a pink dog toy all night sorta scene). I found it annoyingly expensive there, as you quite often have table service for a beer. Pints are rare. You'll be stung $6 for probably slightly less than a stubbie (but draught of course) with a beer that ain't that great and then a dollar tip on top.

If you're going with mates and pre-drinking, you'll be right. But it's a lot different. I dunno. I think the UK but especially Europe is the best place for drinking as a young person.
I’ve has PBR multiple times here in Australia so definitely will be on them when I’m over there I reckon.

I’m going to LA, San Francisco, Philly, Boston, NY, Orlando and Vegas. What’s the nightlife like in these places? Like are there places my mate and I will be able to go to drink, have a dance and chat up some girls?

Definitely want to do Europe but thinking I’ll end up doing it after I’ve worked full time for a year or two and can really afford to spend a decent amount.

I’ve has PBR multiple times here in Australia so definitely will be on them when I’m over there I reckon.

I’m going to LA, San Francisco, Philly, Boston, NY, Orlando and Vegas. What’s the nightlife like in these places? Like are there places my mate and I will be able to go to drink, have a dance and chat up some girls?

Definitely want to do Europe but thinking I’ll end up doing it after I’ve worked full time for a year or two and can really afford to spend a decent amount.

Doesn't really matter where you go, you'll always find some decent bars. If you tip well, the bartenders will pour a bit more into your drinks as they free pour in most places. I really enjoyed the nightlife in NY and San Fran. One bar I really enjoyed in NYC was called 'Down the Hatch' which is in the West Village. Cool sports bar, good happy hour prices, and plenty of college students as NYU is round the corner. One of their drink specials was $4 for pretty much everything in the bar.

Vegas nightlife is cool but be prepared to spend a lot of money! if you're not on a guest list it'll cost you an arm and a leg to get into some clubs and drinks aren't cheap either.

If you really start struggling then just stay in a hostel for a few nights and then go back to the air BnB thing. You'll meet people.

Yeah just hang around the colleges. NYU in New York but there's a heap in Philly. There's some decent music venues in Philly too. I had a few nights out right near the old historical precinct and there were bars everywhere, one had NHL, FIFA set up with $2 Millers High Life / shots. I really struggled to find a bottle shop though as I don't think bodegas and corner stores can sell it as easily there. It was really hard actually.

Nelso just read the whole thread, took me 3 days...:oops:

This I've learnt, Hawaii as a stop over on the way back is the go...yes?

Will stay at the Luxor or similar.

The zip line down the strip is happening.

The roller Coasters in Vegas like Chipzilla, I'm a massive fan...any better than Gold Coast Superman?

Book a bus to the Canyon and do the flight from there, (In case of cancellation...wind etc)

Do you recommend to stay a night in the canyon to counter this?

I like the Donkey trek idea alot.

Do a comedy show check.

Drink beerz in that old skool street of yours, check.

Swim and beerz and just chill (going peak Summer, June) check.

Hope I don't run into that flog Silent Alarm, I will fight you kent.

5 maybe 6 days for a great Vegas holiday sound rite broberto's?:moustache::thumbsu:

Luxor is a cigarette smelling dump and at the end of the Strip. The Flamingo is a better class of dump and way better located near Jimmy Buffet's and In-N-Out Burgers. Go to New York New York for the Dueling Pianos in Times Square. Fun times.

WARNING

When you are about to check into a lot of Vegas hotels, some well presented joker will come up to you for a few moments of your time. They will offer you some sort of freebie, usually heavily discounted tickets for shows or such like. Tell them in the nicest way to FO. They are selling a pyramid time share sort of scam. Man, they can spot an Aussie a mile off!

Luxor is a cigarette smelling dump and at the end of the Strip. The Flamingo is a better class of dump and way better located near Jimmy Buffet's and In-N-Out Burgers. Go to New York New York for the Dueling Pianos in Times Square. Fun times.

WARNING

When you are about to check into a lot of Vegas hotels, some well presented joker will come up to you for a few moments of your time. They will offer you some sort of freebie, usually heavily discounted tickets for shows or such like. Tell them in the nicest way to FO. They are selling a pyramid time share sort of scam. Man, they can spot an Aussie a mile off!
Isnt going to a true dump part of the vegas experience. Couldnt get more dumpy then the Luxor. A giant pyrmaid that shoots lazers into the sky at night and its where Tupac was just before he got murdered.

Best bits of Vegas are Robochon 16 course best meal in your life, the eighties hair metal band that plays on Freemont st for free, the cocktails at Frankies tiki that will get you absolutely smashed, XS nightclub at Encore, Rose Rabbit Lie dinner/jazz entertainment, absinthe even if the jokes are a bit low brow and Laundry room speakeasy also near freemont st, giant fortune cookie desert at Taos restaurant (the one with the giant buddha).

Last edited:
Flying MEL > LAX > NYC.

Is a 1hr 35 min layover in LAX cutting it way too fine to make my flight to New York?
Doable if you are going qantas to american airlines as you dont have to go back out into the terminal. Can use the express route although they often wont tell you about it so you have to know what you are doing.

Isnt going to a true dump part of the vegas experience. Couldnt get more dumpy then the Luxor. A giant pyrmaid that shoots lazers into the sky at night and its where Tupac was just before he got murdered.

Best bits of Vegas are Robochon 16 course best meal in your life, the eighties hair metal band that plays on Freemont st for free, the cocktails at Frankies tiki that will get you absolutely smashed, XS nightclub at Encore, Rose Rabbit Lie dinner/jazz entertainment, absinthe even if the jokes are a bit low brow and Laundry room speakeasy also near freemont st, giant fortune cookie desert at Taos restaurant (the one with the giant buddha).

Yep the place has everything for everyone. I have noticed over the years an increase in the homeless. For a city that's existence is based solely on the almighty dollar, a lot of people have missed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. You're ******.
For that flight yes,

But he'll get to New York that day, hopefully just 3 hours late on either of the next 2 flights (1015am or 11am)
Any later and it's going to be a bad travel experience and a bad start to your trip starting on an exhausted foot.

WARNING

They get you on the strip, they approach you everywhere and are very smooth with their words.

Snake oil salesmen.

They offer the world but deliver nothing. They tell you you will get picked up in a limo (its a bloody huge bus), they offer you cash, show tickets, poker machine credits but it amounts to nothing.

Don’t waste your time.

Has anyone flow Virgin Australia in their economy X section?

Is it worth the extra money?

Flying MEL > LAX > NYC.

Is a 1hr 35 min layover in LAX cutting it way too fine to make my flight to New York?

Book a wheelchair transfer with yoiur carrier. That way, you will get pushed to the front of lines.

Last edited:
I posted back a bit about doing the RV thing, scrapped that - works out cheaper getting modest/avg hotels.

Taking along my whole tribe (wife, kids 8, 4, 2!)

Sister is getting married near Vancouver in late June, so will be in Canada for around 2 weeks prior to that, but then we take off to -

Amtrak to Seattle 2 nights, grab a hire car. - visiting aberdeen (cobain's birthplace en route to Portland)
Portland 2 nights(Portland craft beer festival)
Klamath falls via Bend and Crater lake NP 1 night
San Fran 2 nights
Route 1 to Anaheim (big sur, disneyland) 4 nights
Vegas 2 nights (we're staying at Circus Circus, anyone else stayed there)
Grand Canyon South rim, then onto Phoenix 1 night (purely to catch flight to Austin, thanks for road trip ratings deltablues )
Austin 3 nights
Drive to 'Nawlins 3 nights
Memphis/Nashville? - 1 night
Asheville 1n
Shenandoah
DC 1 night
Amtrak to NYC - 5 nights
Home.

a few questions - will probably catch a MLB game - which city do people recommend to hit up for that? NYC?
- Nashville or Memphis?
- Any tips for GC with kids?

Circus Circus is a dump, wrong end of the strip, there's nothing down there these days, bit of a walk to get to any of the action. Try, if you can, something a bit closer to the action. 3 years ago, but I managed to get Harrah's at $55 Aus a night. Have a look at Excalibur/Tropicana, not the greatest but a huge step above Circus circus.

Anywhere for baseball - yawn fest.
Nashville over Memphis if only 1 night and have to choose.

I posted back a bit about doing the RV thing, scrapped that - works out cheaper getting modest/avg hotels.

Sister is getting married near Vancouver in late June, so will be in Canada for around 2 weeks prior to that, but then we take off to -

Amtrak to Seattle 2 nights, grab a hire car. - visiting aberdeen (cobain's birthplace en route to Portland)
San Fran 2 nights
Grand Canyon South rim, then onto Phoenix 1 night (purely to catch flight to Austin, thanks for road trip ratings deltablues )
Austin 3 nights
Asheville 1n
Shenandoah
DC 1 night
Amtrak to NYC - 5 nights
Home.

a few questions - will probably catch a MLB game - which city do people recommend to hit up for that? NYC?
- Nashville or Memphis?
Are you driving all that? It's going to be dons massive hours in the car and not much time to stop and do things in a lot of places.

Are you driving all that? It's going to be dons massive hours in the car and not much time to stop and do things in a lot of places.

Sorry, yeah we are driving a fair whack of it, but we have time to stop at places and have allowed for that.

We do fly PHX to Austin and Amtrak from DC to NYC though

San Fran 2 nights
Austin 3 nights
Asheville 1n
Shenandoah
DC 1 night
Amtrak to NYC - 5 nights
Home.

- Nashville or Memphis?
Way to much driving with kids. Hell its way too much driving without kids. I hope you are also not driving all over canada as well. I would cut atleast one section of your holiday out and take it slower. Kids will have far more fun. Although if you are trying to recreate a chevy chase family holiday from hell then go nuts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back