Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

San Fran for 1 night is obviously a waste imo. Either spend a few nights there or skip it all together.

Instead of driving on the east coast look at catching trains
We are flying from Vegas to San fran, doing Alcatraz and golden gate on day 1, then day 2 hiring a car and driving down the coast to San diego

Edit: I told a lie, it's 2 nights in San fran..will get there day 1, do most of the big name touristy crap day 2, hire car day 3

Last edited:

Don't try to take a back pack in to the NBA games.
Do the South or north rim of the canyon. Take plenty of fluids.
Go and see the Amish towns
No mention of kids. So skip Disney. Hit six flags instead.
Some good beer tasting places near finger lakes in NY
Why no back pack? And already got a chopper flight booked for the canyon. Heard about the Amish towns in Philly and will do that. No kids, but what's wrong with Disney world? Got 2 days booked in there

Why no back pack? And already got a chopper flight booked for the canyon. Heard about the Amish towns in Philly and will do that. No kids, but what's wrong with Disney world? Got 2 days booked in there
No bags allowed in the stadium and no cloak room either. Had to store it at a random pub across the road for 10 bucks a bag.
Chopper sounds cool.
Disney is just personal opinion. We went for the kids and I hated most if it. Some adults love it though.

No bags allowed in the stadium and no cloak room either. Had to store it at a random pub across the road for 10 bucks a bag.
Chopper sounds cool.
Disney is just personal opinion. We went for the kids and I hated most if it. Some adults love it though.
I don't mind that crap honestly, but it's more for the missus. She's a big kid at heart.

What did you like about Sacramento?

I worked with a guy who lived there growing up and he didn't think much of it so it never crossed my mind to visit there.
The river is beautiful and the downtown precinct has improved enormously, but more of a "avoid San Francisco" thing.

Chopper sounds cool.
Is it no backpacks in general, or did yours not meet league approval?
For the nfl game I went to in Atlanta, backpacks were allowed if they were clear. And there may have been size limitations too.
And I’m not even sure handbags were allowed?

With Disney world
One line for most rides
No express passes
No single rider line

Good experience to take kids
But as an adult? If you stick to rides and only rides. You’ll be rushed due to the lines.

Is a 90 second roller coaster worth a 30-90 minute wait? (Most will be 30-45 min, but a few incl. splash mountain are longer)

I didn’t do six flags. But I’d recommend universals before I recommend Disney. Better rides. More single riders lines. Can do the highlights multiple times in a day.

FWIW. It is doable to rush Disney world in a day. I’d recommend animal kingdom first. It’s further away from the other 3. So you lose transport time there. But magic kingdom is open 1 hour later. So time efficiency I’d say
1) animal kingdom —-> Hollywood studios —-> Epcot (inc. lunch) —-> magic kingdom

I skipped Epcot and did a brunch in animal kingdom, and left magic kingdom early as I was craving a burger from hooters next to my hotel. And didn’t mind it. But yeah, rushed. And only did 1 ride twice (think it happened to be the only ride in animal kingdom which had a single riders line (the Everest roller coaster - highlight of Disney world imo) and I only stuck to the thrill rides + safari in animal kingdom. Skipped soooooo much.

With kids. You can drag out Disney and make it fun for them and not regret it.
As an adult. Your time and money is better spent at other theme parks. I’d do universals over Disney. But never got to six flags.

The river is beautiful and the downtown precinct has improved enormously, but more of a "avoid San Francisco" thing.
Sounds like my POV of adelaide vs Melbourne
Controversial call. But some people just hate big cities. The 2 cities Id say are the most overrated in the world are New York and Melbourne.

New York’s a poor mans London
And Melbourne is a poor mans Los Angeles.

Is it no backpacks in general, or did yours not meet league approval?
For the nfl game I went to in Atlanta, backpacks were allowed if they were clear. And there may have been size limitations too.
And I’m not even sure handbags were allowed?
Hmmm, not sure on the specifics. The kids had two normal size schoolbag type backpacks. FWIW

Controversial call. But some people just hate big cities. The 2 cities Id say are the most overrated in the world are New York and Melbourne.

Give me Baltimore over NYC and Portland/Flagstaff over San Francisco/LA any day.

How is melbourne anything like Los Angeles?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Disney world
One line for most rides
No express passes
No single rider line

Good experience to take kids
But as an adult? If you stick to rides and only rides. You’ll be rushed due to the lines.

Is a 90 second roller coaster worth a 30-90 minute wait? (Most will be 30-45 min, but a few incl. splash mountain are longer)

I didn’t do six flags. But I’d recommend universals before I recommend Disney. Better rides. More single riders lines. Can do the highlights multiple times in a day.

FWIW. It is doable to rush Disney world in a day. I’d recommend animal kingdom first. It’s further away from the other 3. So you lose transport time there. But magic kingdom is open 1 hour later. So time efficiency I’d say
1) animal kingdom —-> Hollywood studios —-> Epcot (inc. lunch) —-> magic kingdom

I skipped Epcot and did a brunch in animal kingdom, and left magic kingdom early as I was craving a burger from hooters next to my hotel. And didn’t mind it. But yeah, rushed. And only did 1 ride twice (think it happened to be the only ride in animal kingdom which had a single riders line (the Everest roller coaster - highlight of Disney world imo) and I only stuck to the thrill rides + safari in animal kingdom. Skipped soooooo much.

With kids. You can drag out Disney and make it fun for them and not regret it.
As an adult. Your time and money is better spent at other theme parks. I’d do universals over Disney. But never got to six flags.
A wait is really that long? Why would anyone bother if they have to wait that long just for a 1-2 min ride?

Heading to Hawaii in September for a week. Will be staying in Waikiki.

Any good tips for things to do and especially for food and drink?

Hawaii will be playing Oregon State in college football. Worth going to?

Thanks.

Will be in America in May with the missus

1st - 17th east coast, then Vegas for 5 nights, San fran for 1 drive to Anaheim for 2 then back to LA for the last few nights of the month.

The east coast depends heavily on nba playoff scheduling. But starting in Boston, and will hire a car and drive between new York, Philly maybe the falls on Canada side.

Pretty much only Vegas and Anaheim is locked in accomodation wise... rest will wing it with air bnb's

Any further tips or advice guys? :)
Tips for Vegas. Food and shows are so expensive. If you dont want to blow a load of money spend sometime up on Freemont street. Can gamble smaller amounts and it has some pretty good free music concerts on weekends. Plus its the original part of Vegas so it has all the history and some great bars. If you want to spend some money on a romantic restaurant then Rose Rabbit Lie is pretty unique. Not ultra expensive but has awesome cocktails and your partner will dig the jazz and tap dancers on the tables. Frankies Tiki bar has awesome cheap cocktails. I was sluring my speech after just one drink. If you are still at clubbing age then Vegas has the biggest clubs in the world so worth checking out. Just dont expect a table unless you are willing to spend thousands. Enjoy walkiing the strip. Whilst it tires quickly it is pretty amazing the first time. Do pools early in the morning when they are not crowded. Its still going to be ridiculously not but for some reason mot very crowded. In the afternoon it will be crowded and disgusting.

Heading to Hawaii in September for a week. Will be staying in Waikiki.

Any good tips for things to do and especially for food and drink?

Hawaii will be playing Oregon State in college football. Worth going to?

Thanks.
Dont stay just on Waikaki unless you think the Gold Coast is classy. The real Hawaii is on the other islands. Maui, Kaui and Big Island.

1st - 17th east coast, then Vegas for 5 nights, San fran for 1 drive to Anaheim for 2 then back to LA for the last few nights of the month.

The east coast depends heavily on nba playoff scheduling. But starting in Boston, and will hire a car and drive between new York, Philly maybe the falls on Canada side.

Pretty much only Vegas and Anaheim is locked in accomodation wise... rest will wing it with air bnb's

You lucky bastard.

I was in Boston last month & caught a few games, but was ruing I wasn’t there for playoffs. Just in time for the bucks to come to town....you got tix?

Heading to Hawaii in a few days to sit on a beach and drink. Aside from that, I haven't been there in a while and was wondering what people recommend I do with 10 days. I've been to Pearl Harbor but will be going back with friends, has much changed there regarding tickets etc?

Is there a good recommended to do list for Oahu?

If you go to Disney , my tip is to use the single rider line when av. My wife and were there in 2015 and whilst looking to line up on a line for some rapid ride and saw 90 mins, were considering passing, but happened to watch some kids go up to one of the workers and receive a ticket. We asked the worker what that was for and she advised it was a single rider pass, which meant you went in a separate line and if there was a spare seat you were in, the only issue was we may not be able to ride together, both the wife and i did not care about that, as long as we got to enjoy the ride. As it worked out the first tube came thru with two spaces, we waited a total of 5 minutes and got to meet and chat to some new people, we have done this at both Disney parks Orlando and LA, and it shortens your wait time considerably.

My wife and i are childless and were thinking it was weird middle aged people going to Disney may have been odd, we were not the oldest kid free people, both times have been awesome at Disney.

Last edited:
Trying to decide whether I go to NYC again.

Just went in November, but am planning to go for my birthday.

Catch two Bills games...decisions decisions

Trying to decide whether I go to NYC again.

Just went in November, but am planning to go for my birthday.

Catch two Bills games...decisions decisions
Have you been to many other places in the US?

There are so many cool places in America that it seems to be a bit of a waste to go back to the same place imo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back