Travel USA travel tips and tricks

soupaman

Club Legend
May 28, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Planning a fairly ambitious trip over there in October/November.

Will only be 15 days plus flight time.

A rough itinerary atm looks something like
NYC for 6 nights
Fly to vegas, then drive that arvo to Page, stay for 2 nights doing Canyon.
Drive to vegas, stay there two nights.
Drive to Yosemite, stay there two nights.
Drive to San Fran, stay there 3 nights and leave.

I am aware of the approximate travel times involved.

I think we are keen to lock in the 6 nights in NY and 3 in SF.

So my querie on the plan is obviously is there a better way to do it?

The 4 nights in Vegas/Canyon are pretty compact. I like the Page idea because it allows a full day in the area o do a proper tour and relax in the evenings. Th day of travel to get there (5.5 hour flight+4.5 drive) from NY via Vegas is potentially a killer but we are open to it.

The drive back to Vegas and two nights there seems pretty feasible to me.

The drive to Yosemite looks to be between 8-10 hours, depending on stops and also if the Tioga Rd crossing is open. We would be doing it very late October, and as far as I can tell it has closed no earlier than November 1 for atleast about a decade. If it does close I guess he just take the hit and go the long way round. I don't know if we aim to make it the whole way in one big go and then wake up in Yosemite for a day of looking around, or we aim to do 75% (so 6-8 hours) and then tick off the rest the following day.

I am aware of the usual stuff people will suggest:
-What are you going for?
-You can go back, why cram everything in like that?
-Can you go for longer?
-Would you be prepared to sacrifice a day or two in NY or SF to make the rest longer?

In answer to the above we want a mixture of parks and cities, one or two of us may want to go again but we general feel we want to get us much out of it as possible this time as our next few trips planned are all elsewhere for at last the next 5-10 years, cannot go longer, would maybe be ok with shaving off a night at either of the two end cities but generally reluctant unless it has a super big impact.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

NYC for 6 nights

The 4 nights in Vegas/Canyon are pretty compact. I like the Page idea because it allows a full day in the area o do a proper tour and relax in the evenings. Th day of travel to get there (5.5 hour flight+4.5 drive) from NY via Vegas is potentially a killer but we are open to it.

The drive to Yosemite looks to be between 8-10 hours, depending on stops and also if the Tioga Rd crossing is open. We would be doing it very late October, and as far as I can tell it has closed no earlier than November 1 for atleast about a decade. If it does close I guess he just take the hit and go the long way round. I don't know if we aim to make it the whole way in one big go and then wake up in Yosemite for a day of looking around, or we aim to do 75% (so 6-8 hours) and then tick off the rest the following day.

-What are you going for?
-Can you go for longer?
-Would you be prepared to sacrifice a day or two in NY or SF to make the rest longer?

In answer to the above we want a mixture of parks and cities, one or two of us may want to go again but we general feel we want to get us much out of it as possible this time as our next few trips planned are all elsewhere for at last the next 5-10 years, cannot go longer, would maybe be ok with shaving off a night at either of the two end cities but generally reluctant unless it has a super big impact.
What do you plan on doing in Page? That's not near enough to the Grand Canyon. It's like over 2 hours from the south rim and 1.5 hours from the nth rim. Possibly more.

NYC for 6 nights

-What are you going for?
-Can you go for longer?

Which way are you driving from vegas to Yosemite?

I drove threw Barstow, Bakersfield (stayed there a night) & Fresno. It wasn't the most exciting drive to be honest but I went in early December so the Tioga pass was closed.

I think it is shorter to go up along Death Valley and then you can drive through the Tioga pass out to Oakhurst and then onto San Francisco that way aswell

soupaman

Club Legend
May 28, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What do you plan on doing in Page? That's not near enough to the Grand Canyon. It's like over 2 hours from the south rim and 1.5 hours from the nth rim. Possibly more.
Initially i was just trying to find a way to not travel to and from Vegas in one day, and then I figured if we stayed in the area two nights it allows us a full day to try and do as much as possible without having to drive back. Can also see something on the return trip to Vegas.

Not attached to Page as such, just picked what looked like an ok town off the map. Looking at it more closely somewhere South of Page, maybe Tuba City? would potentially be a better fit in that it sets you up to see South Rim on your return drive to Vegas better.

So the intinerary would be something like:
Arrive Vegas. Drive 5ish hours to Page/Tuba City/somewhere around there. Sleep
Do Antelope Canyon tour, check out horsehoe bend, anything else we are interested in the area. Sleep.
Leave, going to South Rim of the Canyon, then continue driving 5ish hours until we hit Vegas.

Which way are you driving from vegas to Yosemite?

I drove threw Barstow, Bakersfield (stayed there a night) & Fresno. It wasn't the most exciting drive to be honest but I went in early December so the Tioga pass was closed.

I think it is shorter to go up along Death Valley and then you can drive through the Tioga pass out to Oakhurst and then onto San Francisco that way aswell

I've only been going off what I can see on google maps so far. My impression is the route you took seems less interesting, so ideally we would go through the Death Valley route and use the Tioga Pass assuming it is still open. If it isn't we'd just take the hit of the extra 2 hours. It's obviously a huge drive, so potentially we would stop somewhere along the way, but i am very conscious of the fact that an extra stop would a) take away from our ability to do Yosemite in the morning and b)bring us one night closer to the Tioga Pass closing. I am considering trying to convince everyone to steal a night from SF or NY to facilitate this.

Last edited:
I've only been going off what I can see on google maps so far. My impression is the route you took seems less interesting, so ideally we would go through the Death Valley route and use the Tioga Pass assuming it is still open. If it isn't we'd just take the hit of the extra 2 hours. It's obviously a huge drive, so potentially we would stop somewhere along the way, but i am very conscious of the fact that an extra stop would a) take away from our ability to do Yosemite in the morning and b)bring us one night closer to the Tioga Pass closing. I am considering trying to convince everyone to steal a night from SF or NY to facilitate this.
Fair call. I only went my way as the Tioga pass was closed so I had no choice, would have prefered to go through Death Valley tbh.

We stopped and spent a night in Bakersfield, if you do go that way dont stop in Bakersfield. It is a dump!

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Initially i was just trying to find a way to not travel to and from Vegas in one day, and then I figured if we stayed in the area two nights it allows us a full day to try and do as much as possible without having to drive back. Can also see something on the return trip to Vegas.

Not attached to Page as such, just picked what looked like an ok town off the map. Looking at it more closely somewhere South of Page, maybe Tuba City? would potentially be a better fit in that it sets you up to see South Rim on your return drive to Vegas better.

So the intinerary would be something like:
Arrive Vegas. Drive 5ish hours to Page/Tuba City/somewhere around there. Sleep
Do Antelope Canyon tour, check out horsehoe bend, anything else we are interested in the area. Sleep.
Leave, going to South Rim of the Canyon, then continue driving 5ish hours until we hit Vegas.

If you have two nights and really set on seeing antelope canyon and horseshoe bend then do one night at page and one night at the south rim. Dont do the south rim as a pass through. Its best to see at different times of the day as the shadows move. Plus there are heaps of different vantage points that look quite different and if you are mobile its worthwhile doing a hike for a couple of hours down and then back.

I love page but for lake powell, not antelope canyon or horseshoe bend. You dont have time to see what makes the Lake great as that requires a multi day boating trip. There is a great one day self guided canoe trip you can do from the dam through horseshoe bend though. Antelope canyon will give you some good photos if you arrive at the middle of the day but is a tourist trap. Not a fun experience the way the tour is done. No freedom to explore at all and crowded. Horseshoe bend from the top is ok for 15 mins but is nothing compared to the views of the grand canyon. Or about a dozen other places in sth Utah/northern arizona for that matter. There is literally nothing in tuba city. I wouldnt stop there let alone stay a night if I had a month in the area. The towns arent what you visit this area for. A Tuba city isnt in the few that semi interesting.

If you only have 2 nights I would spend both at the south rim staying at a lodge or in the town 10 minutes south of the park and skip page all together. You will atleast have a full day to explore the canyon that way and a break from driving for one day, which will be a good thing if you plan on driving to yosemite from vegas.

If this is a once in a lifetime trip to the states that ticking off the big bucket list is a great holiday even with all the driving. If you think you will be back again then i would not do both Vegas/grand canyon loop and yosemite/san fransisco. Just pick one as you still will only scratch the surface of the area even with 6-7 days. If you go to Page you will drive right past Zion/bryce canyon territory. Many people think they are better then Yosemite.

soupaman

Club Legend
May 28, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Been doing a lot more research today.

I think I am trying to cram too much stuff into the 6 day patch where i currently have us doing the Canyon stuff, Vegas, and Yosemite.

We are thinking of cutting one of the options, most likely Yosemite. This cuts out approx 13 hours of driving, for one park day benefit.

As you mentioned in that last paragraph the places we are looking at are very much Zion/Bryce area. Was thinking Zion is a good replacement for Yosemite.

So theoretically, could land Vegas. Drive to Springdale for Zion. Might get there early enough to do something.
Next day do some walking in Zion, drive to Page. Sleep.
At Page do what you mentioned above, so Canoe/Lake Powell/maybe Antelope Canyon I have to do more research on all this. Sleep.
Drive to South Rim, spend most of day there. Drive to Vegas. Sleep.
Vegas.
Fly to San Fran.

Otherwise do it in the reverse order.
Land LV/Phoenix/maybe even Flagstaff if cost is ok. Drive to South Rim. Sleep.
GC. Drive2 hours to Page in late arvo. Sleep.
Page day. Leave in arvo for 2 hour drive to Springdale for Zion.
Zion day. Leave in arvo for Vegas.

Do they sound better? Both of them leave an extra day to go somewhere. Could either add them in to this chunk, or it allows us to spend longer in NY or SF. Or alternatively would we better off trying to do Monument Valley instead of something else?

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

I think I am trying to cram too much stuff into the 6 day patch where i currently have us doing the Canyon stuff, Vegas, and Yosemite.

We are thinking of cutting one of the options, most likely Yosemite. This cuts out approx 13 hours of driving, for one park day benefit.

As you mentioned in that last paragraph the places we are looking at are very much Zion/Bryce area. Was thinking Zion is a good replacement for Yosemite.

So theoretically, could land Vegas. Drive to Springdale for Zion. Might get there early enough to do something.
At Page do what you mentioned above, so Canoe/Lake Powell/maybe Antelope Canyon I have to do more research on all this. Sleep.
Vegas.
Fly to San Fran.

Do they sound better? Both of them leave an extra day to go somewhere. Could either add them in to this chunk, or it allows us to spend longer in NY or SF. Or alternatively would we better off trying to do Monument Valley instead of something else?
I’d cut out Vegas to be honest, it’s cool for the first couple of hours but after that’s its shite. Heading to the Grand Canyon was definitely a highlight though.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
San Fran is kinda dull. 2 nights would be enough there to free up some time for Vancouver.
I must’ve been to a different San Francisco. Absolute opposite of dull. Good sport events, good parks, world class bars, awesome food. Except for tenderloin it’s pretty safe.
Feels a lot like Melbourne to be honest.

Agree with Joop.

Vegas is alright for a short time but is largely the most over rated place on the planet I have been too.

San Francisco is an awesome little big city. Easily one of the best places in America. Having said that it is 5 years since I have been there. It has gotten alot more expensive with the Silicon valley ecplosion since that time i hear

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with Joop.

Vegas is alright for a short time but is largely the most over rated place on the planet I have been too.

San Francisco is an awesome little big city. Easily one of the best places in America. Having said that it is 5 years since I have been there. It has gotten alot more expensive with the Silicon valley ecplosion since that time i hear

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Vegas is great if you have money. Some really cool restaurants, bars and nightclubs. And a bit of gambling on the side just to say you have done it. Can have some amazing nights and then spend the next day recovering in the pool. But you need to be willing to spend money.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Vegas is great if you have money. Some really cool restaurants, bars and nightclubs. And a bit of gambling on the side just to say you have done it. Can have some amazing nights and then spend the next day recovering in the pool. But you need to be willing to spend money.
Depends what you like. Spending a day recovering in the pool while on holiday, seems like a massive waste of a day and extremely boring.

Been to Vegas twice. First time 2 nights - perfect.
Second time 4 nights - was too long.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Vegas.
Fly to San Fran.

Think either of those two are better plans. They will give you some time to enjoy the places you are seeing. Phoenix is an hour or more closer then vegas i think so i would choose to land their and end your trip at vegas if you are going to get in the car as soon as you land. Flagstaff even closer obviously but harder to get flights. Car rental price might be slightly higher though if you arent dropping it the same place as the pickup but it shouldnt be a lot different.

If you have extra day Monument valley is good for an extra day if you have one to spare. You do a tour their rather then hike it yourself. Best to do an early morning or late afternoon tour. Bryce Canyon is great as well for an extra day if you are mobile (there is an amazing 2-4 hour walk called the peekaboo loop through the park that blew our minds - if you go early you have the best bits all to yourself).

Zion has two signature walks. Angels landing which is a bit scary and the Narrows. Each are about half a day.

Vegas is great for unwinding afterwards and enjoying the finer things in life. And lots of alcohol.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I must’ve been to a different San Francisco. Absolute opposite of dull. Good sport events, good parks, world class bars, awesome food. Except for tenderloin it’s pretty safe.
Feels a lot like Melbourne to be honest.
I guess that explains it, because I find Melbourne a bit dull and wouldn't recommend it as a holiday destination.

Nov 11, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Out of all those places, if you're within a few hours drive of Bryce Canyon, I wouldn't miss it. One of the great sights of the world.

There used to be a motel at Ruby's in(?), right at the park

In general, I agree with those who say to not linger in Vegas. The things to see in the US are the natural wonders and national parks. I'd concentrate on Bryce and Zion after the Grand Canyon and stay at the Canyon to save time.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With those two events alone there's more quality sport than some of the other places you mentioned. Not to mention cricket, football, league, netball, hockey etc etc.
They're only once a year though, hence the dullness.
Cricket, league, netball and hockey are a Commonwealth sports, footy's only a local sport. Nothing world class there.

Back