Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Out of all those places, if you're within a few hours drive of Bryce Canyon, I wouldn't miss it. One of the great sights of the world.

There used to be a motel at Ruby's in(?), right at the park

In general, I agree with those who say to not linger in Vegas. The things to see in the US are the natural wonders and national parks. I'd concentrate on Bryce and Zion after the Grand Canyon and stay at the Canyon to save time.

I really enjoyed the parklands of the Presidio of San Fransisco (Golden Gate Bridge region) drive and walk around the parklands and then the drive up the mountain as you go over the bridge.

If you drive up Conzelman Road four about 15 minutes to Slackers Hill, you get a fantastic view of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge. Quite spectacular.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
They're only once a year though, hence the dullness.
Cricket, league, netball and hockey are a Commonwealth sports, footy's only a local sport. Nothing world class there.
Melbourne Cup and the whole spring carnival, Bells Beach, Australian Open are a few more ‘world class’ sporting events.
I would like to hear your thoughts on NYC & Philadelphia and their comparable world class sporting events, obviously not including NFL & Baseball because they’re only local sports as you’ve previously put.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They're only once a year though, hence the dullness.
Cricket, league, netball and hockey are a Commonwealth sports, footy's only a local sport. Nothing world class there.
You must run on your own definition of world class. You mean world played? In which case, it doesn't really matter where you go.

Weird argument.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Melbourne Cup and the whole spring carnival, Bells Beach, Australian Open are a few more ‘world class’ sporting events.
I would like to hear your thoughts on NYC & Philadelphia and their comparable world class sporting events, obviously not including NFL & Baseball because they’re only local sports as you’ve previously put.

Spring carnival doesn't attract the world's best. We get Europe and Japan's second rate horses. Aus open has been mentioned already. Bells beach I'll take your word that we get the world's best there. I've never followed surfing TBH.
It's not just sport remember.
NYC comes under amazing architecture and culture - Broadway. But they also have the world's best basketballers and hockey players almost weekly and the US open.
Phillies history is fascinating and still shapes the entire world today. The Amish culture is also quite fascinating. Again, the b-ball is world class.

You must run on your own definition of world class. You mean world played? In which case, it doesn't really matter where you go.

Weird argument.
I'd imagine most people would classify EPL, NBA, NHL, grand slams, grands prix etc to be truly world class events. They are played globally and the best from around the entire world move to be a part of those competitions.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Spring carnival doesn't attract the world's best. We get Europe and Japan's second rate horses. Aus open has been mentioned already. Bells beach I'll take your word that we get the world's best there. I've never followed surfing TBH.
NYC comes under amazing architecture and culture - Broadway. But they also have the world's best basketballers and hockey players almost weekly and the US open.
Phillies history is fascinating and still shapes the entire world today. The Amish culture is also quite fascinating. Again, the b-ball is world class.

I'd imagine most people would classify EPL, NBA, NHL, grand slams, grands prix etc to be truly world class events. They are played globally and the best from around the entire world move to be a part of those competitions.
Then AFL is the same. People have moved from the USA, Ireland, Canada, and Australia's surrounding islands to play.

The AFL is a world class sporting tournament as much as the NHL and similar US leagues.

Melbourne's sport is world class. Close to as good as you can get anywhere in the world. Being 'one off events' or 'commonwealth sports' does not change that.

As I said in the Vegas posts, what people like differs, that's human nature, but you cant argue that Melbourne doesnt have one of the strongest sporting cultures in the world. Be it regular games, annual events like boxing day, Melbourne cup etc or attracting major events like swimming world champs and golf tournaments.

Again, weird argument.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United

Actually that’s incorrect, NHL isn’t played globally it’s just American and a couple Canadian teams, EPL is only in the UK. If you’re saying soccer is played globally then we have the A-League. NBA is only America with the raptors.
Each to their own though I guess, but I suggest if you think Melbourne is dull maybe get out and explore more.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Then AFL is the same. People have moved from the USA, Ireland, Canada, and Australia's surrounding islands to play.

The AFL is a world class sporting tournament as much as the NHL and similar US leagues.

Melbourne's sport is world class. Close to as good as you can get anywhere in the world. Being 'one off events' or 'commonwealth sports' does not change that.

As I said in the Vegas posts, what people like differs, that's human nature, but you cant argue that Melbourne doesnt have one of the strongest sporting cultures in the world. Be it regular games, annual events like boxing day, Melbourne cup etc or attracting major events like swimming world champs and golf tournaments.

Again, weird argument.
You're funny.
Lol. Comparing AFL to NHL. Ice hockey is played globally by millions and has multiple professional leagues. AFL is played seriously in Aus and nowhere else. Hell, Qld and NSW don't even take it seriously. The only athletes who migrated here to play are those who couldn't make it in heir chosen sport back home. Unlike athletes who move from other pro-leagues to play EPL, NHL or NBA, or race grand prix, or ride horses, or in the TDF. The best in the world coming to the one place to compete against each other is how I define world class. You may have your own unique definition I guess.

Absolutely being a Commonwealth sport degrades it. It's us England, Canada and some third world countries competing. Not even close to world class.
Melbourne Cup only attracts Europe's and Japan's second rate horses. So it's not world class.
Golf, I admit I don't watch, but I thought the bigger names tend to avoid Aussie tournaments.
FYI Perth has hosted the swimming champs more often than Melbourne. But yes, at least it's a world class event.

Actually that’s incorrect, NHL isn’t played globally it’s just American and a couple Canadian teams, EPL is only in the UK. If you’re saying soccer is played globally then we have the A-League. NBA is only America with the raptors.
Each to their own though I guess, but I suggest if you think Melbourne is dull maybe get out and explore more.
Ice Hockey is played globally across several pro-leages, NHL being the pinnacle.
EPL attracts the world's best players similarly, hence it's world class.
A league is a s**t kicker league in comparison.
NBA again is the pinnacle of basketball. Despite having other pro leagues around globally, the best come to compete in the US - world class.
Having lived in Melbourne for 36 of my 40 years, I've explored it plenty.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
You're funny.
Lol. Comparing AFL to NHL. Ice hockey is played globally by millions and has multiple professional leagues. AFL is played seriously in Aus and nowhere else. Hell, Qld and NSW don't even take it seriously. The only athletes who migrated here to play are those who couldn't make it in heir chosen sport back home. Unlike athletes who move from other pro-leagues to play EPL, NHL or NBA, or race grand prix, or ride horses, or in the TDF. The best in the world coming to the one place to compete against each other is how I define world class. You may have your own unique definition I guess.

Absolutely being a Commonwealth sport degrades it. It's us England, Canada and some third world countries competing. Not even close to world class.
Melbourne Cup only attracts Europe's and Japan's second rate horses. So it's not world class.
Golf, I admit I don't watch, but I thought the bigger names tend to avoid Aussie tournaments.
FYI Perth has hosted the swimming champs more often than Melbourne. But yes, at least it's a world class event.

Ice Hockey is played globally across several pro-leages, NHL being the pinnacle.
EPL attracts the world's best players similarly, hence it's world class.
A league is a **** kicker league in comparison.
NBA again is the pinnacle of basketball. Despite having other pro leagues around globally, the best come to compete in the US - world class.
Having lived in Melbourne for 36 of my 40 years, I've explored it plenty.

Your arguments are nonsensical and contradictory. Sports exclusive to a particular area are world class, those that are exclusive to a different area, aren't (even though sports like cricket are played in Africa and North America)

Anyway, carry on. Pointed out a ridiculous call and you're obviously unable to reflect on it.

soupaman

Club Legend
May 28, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Out of all those places, if you're within a few hours drive of Bryce Canyon, I wouldn't miss it. One of the great sights of the world.

There used to be a motel at Ruby's in(?), right at the park

In general, I agree with those who say to not linger in Vegas. The things to see in the US are the natural wonders and national parks. I'd concentrate on Bryce and Zion after the Grand Canyon and stay at the Canyon to save time.
Think either of those two are better plans. They will give you some time to enjoy the places you are seeing. Phoenix is an hour or more closer then vegas i think so i would choose to land their and end your trip at vegas if you are going to get in the car as soon as you land. Flagstaff even closer obviously but harder to get flights. Car rental price might be slightly higher though if you arent dropping it the same place as the pickup but it shouldnt be a lot different.

If you have extra day Monument valley is good for an extra day if you have one to spare. You do a tour their rather then hike it yourself. Best to do an early morning or late afternoon tour. Bryce Canyon is great as well for an extra day if you are mobile (there is an amazing 2-4 hour walk called the peekaboo loop through the park that blew our minds - if you go early you have the best bits all to yourself).

Zion has two signature walks. Angels landing which is a bit scary and the Narrows. Each are about half a day.

Vegas is great for unwinding afterwards and enjoying the finer things in life. And lots of alcohol.

Based on the above and further research I am very interested in both Bryce Canyon and Zion, and now am trying to shoehorn Monument Valley in as well.

Thoughts on each bit:
Bryce Canyon. Like the idea of the Peekaboo walk. Should be feasible, awesome and is not too far out the way.

Zion. Angels Landing looks epic, although I suspect I will have difficulty convincing 2 of our 4 that it is both safe and within their capabilities. If we do this I would like to stick the Emerald Pools one on the end of it as well. The Narrows also appeal but seems less impressive, unique and challenging.

Monument Valley. I'm thinking if we are doing a trip around the area we should try and fit this in. It seems pretty accessible from our planned route via Page, either by tour or self driven. Not sure how long it requires. Seems like the Loop takes 2-4 hours (so realistically 3) so could do it in a day seeing as it would be a 4 hour round trip to get there and back.

South Rim sounds cool but not sure we are keen on hiking down to the bottom and back up, especially if I'm trying to sell all these other hikes.

Was thinking something like the following.

Fly from NY to Phoenix, landing about 11ish. Hire car and leave for South Rim, getting there about 4.30. This gives us about 2 hours till sunset to do short walk then check into hotel and sleep.

Next morning drive out to Monument Valley (approx 3 hours). Either do tour or drive ourselves. Drive to Page (2 hours) where we will stay the night. If we get back in time do Horseshoe Bend, otherwise leave that for the morning. Sleep.

Do Horseshoe bend, otherwise check out the Dam. Drive to Bryce Canyon (2.45 hours), do walk at own leisure (2-3 hours). Drive to Springdale. Stay night.

Wake up early and do decent walk at Zion, (Angels Landing/The Narrows/something else). Be done by early afternoon. Drive 2 hours to Vegas and check into hotel.

Issues: No Antelope Canyon. Page is very brief but I think I am just prioritizing the other stuff. South Rim might be a bit brief, getting there mid to late afternoon and leaving early morning. Might die doing Angels Landing.

My alternative was to fly to Vegas, drive to Zion getting there by 3-4ish and doing shortish walk. Then do Bryce Canyon the next day, before going to Page. Fullday in Monument Valley, coming back to Page. Drive down to south Rim getting there mid morning, hang around till lunch then drive back to Vegas checking out Hoover Dam. The more I look into Zion though the better it looks so I think this plan doesn't really do it justice.

I do still have one extra night I can put in here but am going to have issues with a group that aren't typically avid hikers and I think 4 days of scenery might be their limit. Possible solution though would be with the second plan to fly to Vegas, stay there that night and then leave early morning to get to Zion, however apparently you want to be on the first bus to do Angels.

I really enjoyed the parklands of the Presidio of San Fransisco (Golden Gate Bridge region) drive and walk around the parklands and then the drive up the mountain as you go over the bridge.

If you drive up Conzelman Road four about 15 minutes to Slackers Hill, you get a fantastic view of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge. Quite spectacular.

Noted. Thanks, will look into this. Looking to hire bikes and ride the bridge so not sure if we are fit enough to ride that high but will look into it esepcially if we end up hiring a car.

Thanks for the input guys btw, really appreciate it and finding it much more helpful than generic "Grand Canyon? Just do that by helicopter like we did out of Vegas".

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Your arguments are nonsensical and contradictory. Sports exclusive to a particular area are world class, those that are exclusive to a different area, aren't (even though sports like cricket are played in Africa and North America)

Anyway, carry on. Pointed out a ridiculous call and you're obviously unable to reflect on it.
The nonsense is from yourself. A local comp not played globally professionally, can't possibly be world class. By your logic if I invent a game and only me and 5 mates play it, we are world-class at that game because we are the best at it in the world.
But agreed, carry on. It's too far off topic now.

Dec 21, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The nonsense is from yourself. A local comp not played globally professionally, can't possibly be world class. By your logic if I invent a game and only me and 5 mates play it, we are world-class at that game because we are the best at it in the world.
But agreed, carry on. It's too far off topic now.
Again classic bigfooty, take one slice of an argument, which was in relation to what you had said and ignore the rest.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Again classic bigfooty, take one slice of an argument, which was in relation to what you had said and ignore the rest.
I guess our opinions on what counts as world class clearly differs. I set the bar higher than you and I'm OK with us having different standards. There's no objective measure here to make an agreement, as it's a subjective judgement. I appreciate your POV, but I will respectfully disagree. I appreciate you attempting to convince me of your standpoint though. 👍

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Based on the above and further research I am very interested in both Bryce Canyon and Zion, and now am trying to shoehorn Monument Valley in as well.

Thoughts on each bit:
Bryce Canyon. Like the idea of the Peekaboo walk. Should be feasible, awesome and is not too far out the way.

Zion. Angels Landing looks epic, although I suspect I will have difficulty convincing 2 of our 4 that it is both safe and within their capabilities. If we do this I would like to stick the Emerald Pools one on the end of it as well. The Narrows also appeal but seems less impressive, unique and challenging.

Monument Valley. I'm thinking if we are doing a trip around the area we should try and fit this in. It seems pretty accessible from our planned route via Page, either by tour or self driven. Not sure how long it requires. Seems like the Loop takes 2-4 hours (so realistically 3) so could do it in a day seeing as it would be a 4 hour round trip to get there and back.

South Rim sounds cool but not sure we are keen on hiking down to the bottom and back up, especially if I'm trying to sell all these other hikes.

Fly from NY to Phoenix, landing about 11ish. Hire car and leave for South Rim, getting there about 4.30. This gives us about 2 hours till sunset to do short walk then check into hotel and sleep.

Next morning drive out to Monument Valley (approx 3 hours). Either do tour or drive ourselves. Drive to Page (2 hours) where we will stay the night. If we get back in time do Horseshoe Bend, otherwise leave that for the morning. Sleep.

Do Horseshoe bend, otherwise check out the Dam. Drive to Bryce Canyon (2.45 hours), do walk at own leisure (2-3 hours). Drive to Springdale. Stay night.

Wake up early and do decent walk at Zion, (Angels Landing/The Narrows/something else). Be done by early afternoon. Drive 2 hours to Vegas and check into hotel.

Issues: No Antelope Canyon. Page is very brief but I think I am just prioritizing the other stuff. South Rim might be a bit brief, getting there mid to late afternoon and leaving early morning. Might die doing Angels Landing.

My alternative was to fly to Vegas, drive to Zion getting there by 3-4ish and doing shortish walk. Then do Bryce Canyon the next day, before going to Page. Fullday in Monument Valley, coming back to Page. Drive down to south Rim getting there mid morning, hang around till lunch then drive back to Vegas checking out Hoover Dam. The more I look into Zion though the better it looks so I think this plan doesn't really do it justice.

I do still have one extra night I can put in here but am going to have issues with a group that aren't typically avid hikers and I think 4 days of scenery might be their limit. Possible solution though would be with the second plan to fly to Vegas, stay there that night and then leave early morning to get to Zion, however apparently you want to be on the first bus to do Angels.

Noted. Thanks, will look into this. Looking to hire bikes and ride the bridge so not sure if we are fit enough to ride that high but will look into it esepcially if we end up hiring a car.

Thanks for the input guys btw, really appreciate it and finding it much more helpful than generic "Grand Canyon? Just do that by helicopter like we did out of Vegas".
Hey there, FWIW

Zion has plenty of options, Angels being the pinnacle. So no reason you can't spend a whole day there and split the group and 2 can do Angels, while others do something less taxing, then meet up later for more moderate activies.

Bryce is pretty amazing and worth the whole day if you can manage it. The group will get used to all the hiking and the natural stuff is a one off you can't see anywhere else.

South rim is the way to go. No chance you are getting all the way up and down unless you allocate time to camp at the bottom. South Kaibab trail has plenty of good turn around points that make it worthwhile. Lipan Point and Shishone point are easy access and away from the crowds with unique views and photo opps.

I think you are referring to riding the Golden Gate Bridge? It's an easy ride, you don't need any fitness for it at all. Go for it!

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

Thoughts on each bit:

Think you still are rushing the grand canyon bit by only giving yourself a 2 hour window to see it. Go to airport in new york, 4 plus hours of flying, another airport and car rental pickup and then nearly 4 hours drive to south rim. At that point I would imagine you would be exhausted and not up for more then a quick look at the canyon. Plus there is is also a chance the weather could be crap. I would stay at the grand canyon for atleast the next morning as well to give you some proper time to explore. Even if you arent going to walk down it there is more then one just lookout to see. There are heaps and you tend to walk from one to the next along the top and/or catch a hop on hop off bus as well. These walks are gentle and flat. You need atleast half a day to do this. And it is worth it. Grand Canyon South Rim really is one of the great views in the world and it looks very different in late morning vs later in the day. There may also be crowds during certain times of the year which can slow you down so you need to factor in a bit of extra time.

You could leave at lunch time from the GC and make it to monument valley at around 3-4pm. Then do the 2-3 hour tour of monument valley. They do late afternoon and sunset tours. You wont be able to drive the loop of monument valley in a rental car. They wont allow it so foriegners have to do the tour. You could risk it but they deliberately make it hard for non 4wds to get down to the loop. The tour will be better anyway as they take you to some great spots for photos you cant see on your own doing the loop and they also tell you about the local culture. You can then leave Monument Valley next morning as planned.

The next day I also cant see you making it Zion if you want an extended stop at both Page and Bryce. Its nearly 5 hours driving just to get from Monument Valley to Bryce. Horseshoe bend 20 mins stop. dam is another 20 mins. Im assuming you will have an hour or so for lunch and then 3-5 hours at Bryce. You could possibly squeeze all this in if you stay at Bryce for the night. I cant see how you make it to Zion.

Next morning you could drive to Zion early and try Angels Landing in the middle of the day and afternoon. Then drive to Vegas and arrive around dinner time. This is another very tight day. Note if during the May to October season you have to catch a bus into Zion from the entrance. This will add at least 2 hours to your trip with the queues and the fact the bus has to stop everywhere.

This trip is doable but will be very tight and allows no margin for error or times to wander off and do unplanned things. If you can add an extra day to this part of the trip and space it out it would make it much more enjoyable. Its definately worth doing.

What time of the year do you plan on doing this trip?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Well managed to read the whole thread, something I probably should’ve done before booking.

By the sounds of it I’ll be spending too long in each of the cities I’m going to, at the same time though I’m not really the type that wants a jam packed schedule hence why something like a contiki tour doesn’t appeal to me (along with other reasons). Feel like I could’ve squeezed an extra city or two in though.

Visiting LA, SF and NY so yes a very generic trip but I’ve never been before so I think it’s appropriate. Just staying in shared air BnBs as the prices were fairly similar to hostels. Was reassuring that people were saying Brooklyn was a decent place to stay in. Originally booked to stay in Oakland but then decided against the idea due to a few things I had read.

Still haven’t decided what to do in regards to banking and SIM cards.

Also is attending a theme park alone acceptable? I’m more than happy to do just about everything else lonesome but I feel like a theme park would just be unnatural.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well managed to read the whole thread, something I probably should’ve done before booking.

By the sounds of it I’ll be spending too long in each of the cities I’m going to, at the same time though I’m not really the type that wants a jam packed schedule hence why something like a contiki tour doesn’t appeal to me (along with other reasons). Feel like I could’ve squeezed an extra city or two in though.

Visiting LA, SF and NY so yes a very generic trip but I’ve never been before so I think it’s appropriate. Just staying in shared air BnBs as the prices were fairly similar to hostels. Was reassuring that people were saying Brooklyn was a decent place to stay in. Originally booked to stay in Oakland but then decided against the idea due to a few things I had read.

Also is attending a theme park alone acceptable? I’m more than happy to do just about everything else lonesome but I feel like a theme park would just be unnatural.
Single ride line FTW

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors

Attending a theme park on your lonesome is ok.

You can use the single rider lines and not have to queue up with everyone else. Saves a lot of time.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn

https://datago.co/pages/north-america-best-prepaid-sim-card-options-for-north-america

Not bad. Good size.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Hey there, FWIW

Zion has plenty of options, Angels being the pinnacle. So no reason you can't spend a whole day there and split the group and 2 can do Angels, while others do something less taxing, then meet up later for more moderate activies.

Bryce is pretty amazing and worth the whole day if you can manage it. The group will get used to all the hiking and the natural stuff is a one off you can't see anywhere else.

South rim is the way to go. No chance you are getting all the way up and down unless you allocate time to camp at the bottom. South Kaibab trail has plenty of good turn around points that make it worthwhile. Lipan Point and Shishone point are easy access and away from the crowds with unique views and photo opps.

I think you are referring to riding the Golden Gate Bridge? It's an easy ride, you don't need any fitness for it at all. Go for it!
Camped at the bottom of grand canyon last year going down the south kaibab trail in the middle of summer. Thought we were doing pretty well until we saw a jogger who ran all the way down and then back up again in a single day with only one 1.5 litre of bottle of water on him (there was no water on the trail). There are some seriously crazy elite people on that trail.

Yeah true just feel like I won’t enjoy it as much lonesome but guess that’s just part of travelling solo.
you will enjoy it but being on a crazy roller coaster and looking next to you to see your mates/partners expression only to remember it is a 15 year old asian kid you dont know gets weird.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Last edited:

soupaman

Club Legend
May 28, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Think you still are rushing the grand canyon bit by only giving yourself a 2 hour window to see it. Go to airport in new york, 4 plus hours of flying, another airport and car rental pickup and then nearly 4 hours drive to south rim. At that point I would imagine you would be exhausted and not up for more then a quick look at the canyon. Plus there is is also a chance the weather could be crap. I would stay at the grand canyon for atleast the next morning as well to give you some proper time to explore. Even if you arent going to walk down it there is more then one just lookout to see. There are heaps and you tend to walk from one to the next along the top and/or catch a hop on hop off bus as well. These walks are gentle and flat. You need atleast half a day to do this. And it is worth it. Grand Canyon South Rim really is one of the great views in the world and it looks very different in late morning vs later in the day. There may also be crowds during certain times of the year which can slow you down so you need to factor in a bit of extra time.

You could leave at lunch time from the GC and make it to monument valley at around 3-4pm. Then do the 2-3 hour tour of monument valley. They do late afternoon and sunset tours. You wont be able to drive the loop of monument valley in a rental car. They wont allow it so foriegners have to do the tour. You could risk it but they deliberately make it hard for non 4wds to get down to the loop. The tour will be better anyway as they take you to some great spots for photos you cant see on your own doing the loop and they also tell you about the local culture. You can then leave Monument Valley next morning as planned.

The next day I also cant see you making it Zion if you want an extended stop at both Page and Bryce. Its nearly 5 hours driving just to get from Monument Valley to Bryce. Horseshoe bend 20 mins stop. dam is another 20 mins. Im assuming you will have an hour or so for lunch and then 3-5 hours at Bryce. You could possibly squeeze all this in if you stay at Bryce for the night. I cant see how you make it to Zion.

Next morning you could drive to Zion early and try Angels Landing in the middle of the day and afternoon. Then drive to Vegas and arrive around dinner time. This is another very tight day. Note if during the May to October season you have to catch a bus into Zion from the entrance. This will add at least 2 hours to your trip with the queues and the fact the bus has to stop everywhere.

This trip is doable but will be very tight and allows no margin for error or times to wander off and do unplanned things. If you can add an extra day to this part of the trip and space it out it would make it much more enjoyable. Its definately worth doing.

What time of the year do you plan on doing this trip?
Ok thanks.

I think I might propose the following, using the extra night we have up our sleeves.

Land Vegas/Phoenix. Spend that evening there. Sleep.
Drive to South Rim, getting there just after lunch. Spend the rest of the day there (4-5 hours). Sleep.
Drive to Monument Valley, doing tour while there. Get back to Page before sunset. Sleep.
Do Horseshoe Bend in morning, then drive to Bryce Canyon for the day. At the end of the day or whenever we finish up drive to Springdale and sleep the night.
Do Zion, leaving whenever we are satisfied for Vegas.

That would give us nights in South Rim, Page and Springdale, drive times of 5ish hours, 5ish hours (plus tour), 5ish hours and 2ish hours, which is a lot but you get to see a lot and for the most part it's fairly direct. We are going in late October for this bit so with 11 hour days we get 6, 6, 6, and 9 hours sunlight minus whatever we lose by not waking up at 6am.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Camped at the bottom of grand canyon last year going down the south kaibab trail in the middle of summer. Thought we were doing pretty well until we saw a jogger who ran all the way down and then back up again in a single day with only one 1.5 litre of bottle of water on him (there was no water on the trail). There are some seriously crazy elite people on that trail.
Yeah, that's next level crazy. A mate of mine camped down there once. On the way down he crossed paths with a guy who attempted up and down in one day. The guy was unconscious when he found him and would have most likely died had my mate not chanced upon him.

Stayed in SF once and did a day tour to visit Yosemite.

The guy driving the mini bus was s****ing himself driving back through Oakland at 8pm that night!!!
why did he drive threw Oakland?

you dont need to get off the highway to get back to SF

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Back