Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the pick up points was in Oakland, One person got picked up and dropped off in Oakland.
does Oakland actually look that dodgy when you drive through it?

I have only ever driven on the highway through Oakland

Cookie

Club Legend
May 2, 2004
Right in front of you
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CreweAlex,SF Giants,Detroit Lions
Ok thanks.

I think I might propose the following, using the extra night we have up our sleeves.

Land Vegas/Phoenix. Spend that evening there. Sleep.
Drive to South Rim, getting there just after lunch. Spend the rest of the day there (4-5 hours). Sleep.
Drive to Monument Valley, doing tour while there. Get back to Page before sunset. Sleep.
Do Horseshoe Bend in morning, then drive to Bryce Canyon for the day. At the end of the day or whenever we finish up drive to Springdale and sleep the night.
Do Zion, leaving whenever we are satisfied for Vegas.

That would give us nights in South Rim, Page and Springdale, drive times of 5ish hours, 5ish hours (plus tour), 5ish hours and 2ish hours, which is a lot but you get to see a lot and for the most part it's fairly direct. We are going in late October for this bit so with 11 hour days we get 6, 6, 6, and 9 hours sunlight minus whatever we lose by not waking up at 6am.

Suggest you book you digs at Page. It can be very busy. Not much there to hold your attention except the polluting power station. Man, does that place belch out some horrid black crap from those stacks. It's more than likely responsible for the haze that often hangs over the GC.

Monument Valley is best seen at dawn and dusk so an overnight there is best. I'd sacrifice Zion for a days at Mesa Verde and the North Rim. Bryce is non-negotiable. If you have time and you're an animal lover, have a day at Kanab and the animal rescue place there. It's in the Kanab Canyon. The town has a huge western movie pedigree.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
does Oakland actually look that dodgy when you drive through it?

I have only ever driven on the highway through Oakland

This was 2016 , I don't remember much from that day but i'll always remember his urgency to get out of there asap.

It must be pretty bad if San Francisco is the safer option as it does has it's fair share of dodgy neighbourhoods.

This was 2016 , I don't remember much from that day but i'll always remember his urgency to get out of there asap.

It must be pretty bad if San Francisco is the safer option as it does has it's fair share of dodgy neighbourhoods.
I walked everywhere in San Franciso even at night. A lot of homeless and crazy people out there but I never felt unsafe.

In retrospect I may have just gotten lucky!

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Stayed in SF once and did a day tour to visit Yosemite.

The guy driving the mini bus was s****ing himself driving back through Oakland at 8pm that night!!!

I’m keen to go to an A’s game as the Giants aren’t playing when I am there. Will have to make sure I go to a day game ;).

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Spring carnival doesn't attract the world's best. We get Europe and Japan's second rate horses. Aus open has been mentioned already. Bells beach I'll take your word that we get the world's best there. I've never followed surfing TBH.
It's not just sport remember.
NYC comes under amazing architecture and culture - Broadway. But they also have the world's best basketballers and hockey players almost weekly and the US open.
Phillies history is fascinating and still shapes the entire world today. The Amish culture is also quite fascinating. Again, the b-ball is world class.

I'd imagine most people would classify EPL, NBA, NHL, grand slams, grands prix etc to be truly world class events. They are played globally and the best from around the entire world move to be a part of those competitions.
Worlds best basketball players weekly? Most NBA players dont play in New York weekly. Its not like melbourne where over half the afl teams play.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Ok thanks.

I think I might propose the following, using the extra night we have up our sleeves.

Land Vegas/Phoenix. Spend that evening there. Sleep.
Drive to South Rim, getting there just after lunch. Spend the rest of the day there (4-5 hours). Sleep.
Drive to Monument Valley, doing tour while there. Get back to Page before sunset. Sleep.
Do Horseshoe Bend in morning, then drive to Bryce Canyon for the day. At the end of the day or whenever we finish up drive to Springdale and sleep the night.
Do Zion, leaving whenever we are satisfied for Vegas.

That would give us nights in South Rim, Page and Springdale, drive times of 5ish hours, 5ish hours (plus tour), 5ish hours and 2ish hours, which is a lot but you get to see a lot and for the most part it's fairly direct. We are going in late October for this bit so with 11 hour days we get 6, 6, 6, and 9 hours sunlight minus whatever we lose by not waking up at 6am.
That works better. Busy trip but you will get time to enjoy things and relax in the evenings with morning drives on most days and whole afternoons to explore. The weather wont be hot at that time of the year so good for afternoon walks.

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
where is best to stay in new york for some first timers? some leave we booked back in feb has come up and the gf has always wanted to go to NY.
would be leaving this friday/saturday so super last minute & im not too happy about it. we have approx 3 weeks so was thinking something like NY a week, then go Boston, Montreal, Toronto (if a friend is still there, shes moving back to France any week now) then home.
prices seem ****ed everywhere being peak season, looks like im going to get reamed wherever we go. would feel better if i had NY sorted before we leave - less worried about doing the rest on the fly.

cheers

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
where is best to stay in new york for some first timers? some leave we booked back in feb has come up and the gf has always wanted to go to NY.
would be leaving this friday/saturday so super last minute & im not too happy about it. we have approx 3 weeks so was thinking something like NY a week, then go Boston, Montreal, Toronto (if a friend is still there, shes moving back to France any week now) then home.
prices seem ****** everywhere being peak season, looks like im going to get reamed wherever we go. would feel better if i had NY sorted before we leave - less worried about doing the rest on the fly.

cheers
Try Park Slope. Get an air bnb apartment near the subway . Assuming air bnb still exists in NYC, I was there a out 4 years ago now.

prices seem ****** everywhere being peak season, looks like im going to get reamed wherever we go. would feel better if i had NY sorted before we leave - less worried about doing the rest on the fly.

cheers
Airbnb in Williamsburg.

One subway station from Manhatten and a cool bar (think Fitzroy) vibe about it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
thanks all, will look into each of them tonight. gf just messaged me saying buy the plane tickets we'll wing it so we'll see how it goes

I stayed west from Central Park on broadway last year.

Good area during the day and close to subway, plenty of options for food.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jaxes Don't go to Brooklyn, it really isn't as trendy as you think it is. Melbourne is better. All the good bars are spaced out and there's no real central strip like we have in every popular suburb in Australia. It's a long walk from one to the other. Also a pain in the arse getting to Manhattan where, really, it's better.

Brooklyn isn't cheap at all and the rich who were priced out of Manhattan by the uber rich are in BKN now. Joint's cooked. All the good bands have moved to LA.

Seriously consider Hoboken. Or somewhere around there in Jersey. I stayed in the Heights/Hoboken for a week and preferred it to Brooklyn. You get the bus, a light rail, and one other option to the city and it takes the same amount of time as it would from Queens or whatever. The positive is, if you leave after the 8:30-9:30 rush, your bus'll be dead. Hoboken has a really relaxed feel, there's barely people around. It's a nice feeling to get out of Manhattan after a long day on your feet and dodging crowds, then finding yourself in suburbia with barely any noise and even less people.

It also offers some pretty surreal views of New York City. Sitting there and overlooking the centre of the western world is...

Special Agent Utah

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls/Bears Texas Rangers
Jaxes Don't go to Brooklyn, it really isn't as trendy as you think it is. Melbourne is better. All the good bars are spaced out and there's no real central strip like we have in every popular suburb in Australia. It's a long walk from one to the other. Also a pain in the arse getting to Manhattan where, really, it's better.

Brooklyn isn't cheap at all and the rich who were priced out of Manhattan by the uber rich are in BKN now. Joint's cooked. All the good bands have moved to LA.

Seriously consider Hoboken. Or somewhere around there in Jersey. I stayed in the Heights/Hoboken for a week and preferred it to Brooklyn. You get the bus, a light rail, and one other option to the city and it takes the same amount of time as it would from Queens or whatever. The positive is, if you leave after the 8:30-9:30 rush, your bus'll be dead. Hoboken has a really relaxed feel, there's barely people around. It's a nice feeling to get out of Manhattan after a long day on your feet and dodging crowds, then finding yourself in suburbia with barely any noise and even less people.

It also offers some pretty surreal views of New York City. Sitting there and overlooking the centre of the western world is...

Don’t agree with all Brooklyn points BUT Hoboken is cool, younger crowd there now as more affordable, heaps of good bars and restaurants..

Special Agent Utah

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls/Bears Texas Rangers
Anyone travelled solo over to the states, Normally go with mates but thinking about heading back over at end of year by myself..

Any tips

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Anyone travelled solo over to the states, Normally go with mates but thinking about heading back over at end of year by myself..

Any tips
Same as everywhere bra. Boring and lonely at times, the luxury of doing what you want whenever, no busted up friendships. Hostels are generally tougher as it's got less vibrancy and generally less 18-25 year olds go there.

BillyK

Draftee
Jun 27, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
What about an American heading to Singapore? Are there any culture shocks I should be aware off? I hear asia is big on the spitting :think:

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Most likely going to be in the US at the end of December and in January.

Is January a bad time to go to Boston and NY? I do want to see the snow and those 2 cities are up on the must see list but i know it'll be freezing

Looking forward to seeing my first Cowboys game,

Haha it'll be ******* freezing mate. Buy a good jacket and some big boots and you'll be set. Have fun and spend some time on the West Coast to defrost.

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Most likely going to be in the US at the end of December and in January.

Is January a bad time to go to Boston and NY? I do want to see the snow and those 2 cities are up on the must see list but i know it'll be freezing

Looking forward to seeing my first Cowboys game,
If it's another bad winter you'll certainly see plenty of snow - and ice, which can be tricky. But moving around and sightseeing may be somewhat constrained by the conditions.

March would be better.

Back