Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, FC St. Pauli
If it's another bad winter you'll certainly see plenty of snow - and ice, which can be tricky. But moving around and sightseeing may be somewhat constrained by the conditions.

March would be better.
I definitely plan to go back around September - October sometime, but part of the reason of going this time is to see the Mrs' sister who lives in San Diego.

Will be going Dallas - NYC - Boston - SF - LA - SD. May stick Atlanta in there somewhere as well

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I definitely plan to go back around September - October sometime, but part of the reason of going this time is to see the Mrs' sister who lives in San Diego.

Will be going Dallas - NYC - Boston - SF - LA - SD. May stick Atlanta in there somewhere as well
Any specific appeal with at Atlanta?

I've been there three times, once on vacation and twice with work and while it has a lovely "soul", it's a significant step down on most other US cities as far as attractions and things to do, go.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Any specific appeal with at Atlanta?

I've been there three times, once on vacation and twice with work and while it has a lovely "soul", it's a significant step down on most other US cities as far as attractions and things to do, go.
One of my best mates is moving there and may be there by the time I go, hence the "may" haha.

Really wanted to get to Detroit for a Red Wings game but can't really squeeze it in.

No interest in Chicago or Vegas.

Save Portland, Seattle, New Orleans, DC for another trip

Dallas for sport obviously?

Otherwise it is an ordinary city especially considering the other good options in Texas

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Best things to do in Boston?
Day one, Follow the Freedom Trail, the history is pretty cool. We were lucky enough to engrave our names on the new copper panels as part of the USS Constitution restoration project. Head past Caffe Vittoria as well

Day 2, get a car for a day and hike Mt Monadnock

Skip the Cheers bar unless it's purely for a social media post.

Skip Salem, even if you like The Crucible.

If you have way too much spare time. Visit the paper house.

Worlds best basketball players weekly? Most NBA players dont play in New York weekly. Its not like melbourne where over half the afl teams play.
Kevin Durant....

Morning_Fog

Premiership Player
Jun 24, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Best things to do in Boston?

Faneuil Hall Marketplace was very cool. You can pick up some cool souvenir. You can then check out a cheers replica store as well.
Fenway Park. Home of the Boston Red Sox
NBA Hall of fame. It’s in Springfield Massachusetts. Its about 50 minutes outside of Boston
Baseball Hall of Fame. Cooperstown. A bit further out, about 4 hour drive but the scenery is worth it and the Hall of Fame is located in a lovely little town.
Plymouth: home of the mayflower and the birthplace of the United States of America where the Pilgrims landed in 1688.
Harvard square and the university

soupaman

Club Legend
May 28, 2006
Wheelers Hill
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ok I think we've settled on our Grand Canyon area plan.

Fly into Phoenix from NY, landing before midday. Grab lunch and drive to South Rim, getting there prior to Sunset. Sleep.

Wake up early and check out the Canyon a bit more, aiming to wind it up by 11. (Doesn't sound like we are there long but we get about an hour till sunset the night before and getting up early means if we take 7-10.30 that gives some time to check it out in the morning, although no decent length walks obviously). Drive to Monument Valley, getting there for a sunset tour of MV, before sleeping the night in the region.

Next day drive to Page, this bit is sill a bit up in the air but looking at doing something to do with a couple of rafting, Antelope Canyon, Marble Canyon, Horseshoe Bend etc. Sleep Page.

Wake up and head to Bryce Canyon, aiming to get there late morning or around lunchtime and spend some time there (ideally 3-6 hours). Drive to Springdale where we will stay the night.

Wake up early and go to Zion, with specific walk yet to be determined, before heading to Vegas in the arvo.

I think I'm happy with that, it's alot of ground to cover but it enables us to see a lot and try a variety of different activities. Evenings are all downtime which means we can relax then and sleep early to make up for the early starts. The rest of the trip is all cities so this will be a cool adventurous few days, just gotta hope the weather is good.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are going back to the USA for Christmas 2020, going to be spending it up in Big Sky Montana with my family for a white Christmas. The intention is we'll fly Melbourne - New York early/Mid Dec 2020, spend about 5 days in NY and then fly NY - Bozeman Montana. We'll stay in Big Sky till mid Jan 2021, then fly home after spending almost a month on the snow. We'll return to Australia just intime for our summer heat to be kicking off!

The last time we went in 2017 we flew to SF, 5 day stay, then flew to Denver and RV'd Denver - Yellowstone - Big Sky - Seattle - San Francisco.

The major cost this time will be the flights, hotel in NY and the ski hire as we'll have accomodation on the mountain with family for in Montana.

Has anyone ever had any luck with the green card lottery?
my brother in law won the green card lottery about 2 & 1/2 years ago.

He was working in NY and had his hands tied work wise as he was always on a sponsorship visa I think it is (if he lost his job he would have 7 days to leave the country).

Then he won the green card lottery so he was stoked as it really opened up his working opportunities.

In the end he ended up marrying an American bird anyway so he could have gotten a permanent residency that way

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was there in July, here's a few lessons I learnt.

- There's a lot of homeless people in San Francisco and crime there is common. Be careful walking the streets at night and stay away from the 'Tenderloin'.
- Uber all the way. Taxis rip you off badly
- Do not ride the subway in LA.
- When walking down the Vegas strip, ignore the Showgirls that come up to you and ask to have a picture taken. Huge con.
- Ignore people handing out CDs or anyone dressed up that comes up and asks for a photo.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Something happen?

I never had a problem with it.

Only a small sample size but some crazy woman asked someone “Excuse me sir. What happened to your arm?” and the guy replied that someone shot him...so that was lovely to hear. And the crazy woman just kept going on heaps of rants, mainly about how pro-guns she is. Very unpleasant if you were there.

We got off at Union Station and there was nothing touristy there. It looked like a really dangerous area and me and my sister just really wanted to get out of there. The reason we went is because I thought that’s what Downtown LA would be. We walked through to the other end of Union Station and that did look a bit nicer.

When we told a few others about it, they shuddered at the thought of riding the Subway, and especially to Union Station.

That was a huge waste of time and I’m just glad nothing bad happened to me and my sister while we were there because in the end we had no reason to go there and if something bad did happen, it would have been my fault as it was my idea.

I’ll never ride that subway at night at least and I’ll always stick to the touristy parts I think.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We got off at Union Station and there was nothing touristy there. It looked like a really dangerous area and me and my sister just really wanted to get out of there. The reason we went is because I thought that’s what Downtown LA would be. We walked through to the other end of Union Station and that did look a bit nicer.

LA is one of my favourite places but i never recommend downtown to anyone, I would only go to that area for a concert or sport event.

In 2016 near Union Station there was an area littered with tents and homeless people, when I saw it I quickly turned around and walked the other way.

Apr 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
LA is one of my favourite places but i never recommend downtown to anyone, I would only go to that area for a concert or sport event.

In 2016 near Union Station there was an area littered with tents and homeless people, when I saw it I quickly turned around and walked the other way.

I did love LA though, but yes Downtown has nothing and is dangerous. You’d only ever go there if there’s something on at the Staples Centre etc.

Mar 26, 2012
Block 123
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I was there in July, here's a few lessons I learnt.

- There's a lot of homeless people in San Francisco and crime there is common. Be careful walking the streets at night and stay away from the 'Tenderloin'.
- Uber all the way. Taxis rip you off badly
- Do not ride the subway in LA.
- When walking down the Vegas strip, ignore the Showgirls that come up to you and ask to have a picture taken. Huge con.
- Ignore people handing out CDs or anyone dressed up that comes up and asks for a photo.
Did you go into the Mission District?

What was didn't you like about the tenderloin?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back