Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait, what point are you trying to make? State Farm Stadium is a poor stadium because it's too good? The Superbowl is a poor event because it's too popular?
Poor stadium for atmosphere cos its capacity is too small and its comfort is too high. Go to a stadium with 100 thousand mostly standing people and you will be blown away by the atmosphere. But if butt comfort is what you are looking for in a sporting event then im sure its great but still inferior to a couch and watching it on tv.

Never said anything about popularity being a bad thing. Just tickets consumed by rich people more interested in the half time event and status updates rather then actually caring about who wins like their life depends on it. An issue with the afl grand final as well but we can at least fit nearly 50 percent more people in.

Poor stadium for atmosphere cos its capacity is too small and its comfort is too high. Go to a stadium with 100 thousand mostly standing people and you will be blown away by the atmosphere. But if butt comfort is what you are looking for in a sporting event then im sure its great but still inferior to a couch and watching it on tv.

Never said anything about popularity being a bad thing. Just tickets consumed by rich people more interested in the half time event and status updates rather then actually caring about who wins like their life depends on it. An issue with the afl grand final as well but we can at least fit nearly 50 percent more people in.
We can safely assume you've never been to an Cardinals game. Tied with Arrowhead and US Bank Stadium for the best atmosphere in my opinion. Are you suggesting NFL teams should play in college stadiums to improve atmosphere? It's only natural there's a few college stadiums with better atmosphere given drunk students in their early 20's are bound to create more noise than older people, which the NFL's demographic is more suited to.

Wow. So you expect the NFL to forgo revenue so people who aren't prepared to stump up the cash for a ticket at market value can feel a little better? The Superbowl is a great event the way it is.

Anybody spent time in Anchorage?

Looking at spending about eight days there, with a couple in Fairbanks later this year. Would love to hear what people have thought.
Spent about a week there end of Feb early March.I hung around a few extra days to check out the start of the Iditarod dog-sled race which was good fun.

What's United like to fly with from here to there?
They have really picked up their act. Only a few years ago when I dabbled in the industry they were the airline that I heard the most complaints about. American Airlines are now rated the worst US airline now by many in the industry

Anybody spent time in Anchorage?

Looking at spending about eight days there, with a couple in Fairbanks later this year. Would love to hear what people have thought.
Haven't been there, but apparently the Chugach state park is incredible. Someone I know did some touring through there and said you could spend weeks exploring the different parts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's the carnivore challenge up in Kennesaw at a place called big pie in the sky - I think it's for two people, 11lb pizza which is pretty much stacked with meat. I haven't tried it but I have eaten there many times, good pizza! Can't think of any others off the top of my head, though Anne's Snack Shack and the Ghetto burger are a good way to stretch your belly, if you don't mind the wait!

No idea on the game time for Georgia-Clemson. I'd be thinking along the lines of 7-8pm though.

No wonder there are such high obesity rates in America.

Lincoln Financial Field was pretty intense atmosphere. But they were the reigning champs and vying for the NFC East again when i saw them.

I reckon of the games i saw the Nashville Predators at Bridgestone Arena had the best fans and best atmosphere - i loved it!

That person is biased and will promote his status. Dont listen to them. And yes 63 thousand capacity is a small stadium.

Have you been to Cardinals Stadium (State Farm Stadium)? Or perhaps Gillette Stadium or Nissan Stadium?

Would like to know these 100,000 standing room stadiums. Can you let me know where they are? Interested to know.

Have you been to Cardinals Stadium (State Farm Stadium)? Or perhaps Gillette Stadium or Nissan Stadium?

Would like to know these 100,000 standing room stadiums. Can you let me know where they are? Interested to know.
No stadium is just standing but plenty use a combination of seats/standing to get up there. Ot atleast they did.

Michigan stadium, beaver stadium, kyle field, lousianna university, the one in ohio ... the list goes on with Us colleage football.

Latin america had a number of stadiums that could reach that level before they started inserting seats. Eden gardens in India also used to be over 100 thousand before they inserted seats and is now down to under 70 thousand.

Lincoln Financial Field was pretty intense atmosphere. But they were the reigning champs and vying for the NFC East again when i saw them.

I reckon of the games i saw the Nashville Predators at Bridgestone Arena had the best fans and best atmosphere - i loved it!
I've been to a couple of games at Soldier Field. Man that place is awesome. I'd recommend a game as well as a stadium tour, it's brilliant. I've also seen a game and done a tour of Mile High. Also great, except there aren't enough Bears for my liking. The atmosphere was brilliant though. For such an open stadium it gets really loud. This was at the height of Tebow-mania though.

I've been to a couple of games at Soldier Field. Man that place is awesome. I'd recommend a game as well as a stadium tour, it's brilliant. I've also seen a game and done a tour of Mile High. Also great, except there aren't enough Bears for my liking. The atmosphere was brilliant though. For such an open stadium it gets really loud. This was at the height of Tebow-mania though.

Soldier Field is great, did the tour and imagine it would be a great stadium to watch any sport at.

I was disappointed with my Mile High tour, for the $20 they only took us to 3 places. This was the year they won the superbowl so maybe they were more busy than usual and had to rush groups through daily.

Soldier Field is great, did the tour and imagine it would be a great stadium to watch any sport at.

I was disappointed with my Mile High tour, for the $20 they only took us to 3 places. This was the year they won the superbowl so maybe they were more busy than usual and had to rush groups through daily.
The one thing I remember them talking about was the psychology behind the change rooms. The home team's rooms had all the players integrated as a team. The visitor's had the team segregated, lockers were in the way of lines of sight and the walls were painted a pink colour to induce a sense of calm. Real interesting stuff.

No not end story. We all see the games on tv. You cant pretend you have had an experience then no one has witnessed. There is no atmosphere. Tickets arent held for fans they are sold at the highest price to rich elites.

People who pay ridiculous prices are biased into saying they had the time of their lives so they can justify the high price to themselves. And so they can claim status. But we all see it on tv. The most atmospheric thing about the superbowl is the half time show and thats why there are so many elites there that ruin the atmosphere of the game. Plus the tiny stadiums doesnt help either.

Good viewing angles and nice seats dont impact crowd noise which is what drives atmosphere. They impact comfort. Being comfortable usually lowers atmosphere.
I went to Super BOwl LI in Houston and Ive probably only ever attended 2 afl games that even had a moment where it matched that Super Bowl for atmosphere (Collingwood vs Adelaide 2009 Semi Final at the end and Adelaide vs Collingwood 2014 Rd 9 for the play just before 3/4 time where Jenkins goaled)

And even then, Id still say the Super Bowl was a more electric atmosphere.

I laugh at this.
There was one aspect about the Super Bowl which reminded me of Soccer.
1 person will stand and a massive triangle forms behind it where everybody stands to see over the initial person who stood.
It leads to everyone standing.

When Tom Brady threw his interception basically my entire endzone was standing and we were 100 yards away as it was returned for a pick 6 at the other end.

Sure, there will be some people at the event who are there for the event (the people sitting next to me were there just for the event, but they were Michigan fans in college so got into the game following Tom Brady)
But most are there for that once in a lifetime event to see their team hopefully win the Super Bowl.

Many many people would love to see the event just once in their life. I was planning to attend Super Bowl LIII (When I was making plans it was the next one on my Birthday, and due to leap years is the last on Feb 3 for years), Atlanta makes it. I bring up the timeline 2 years so I can see my team try and win. A lot of people were doing that. May have had plans to do it once. But their team makes it? Stuff the price. You gotta go. Nothing would beat seeing your team hoist the Lombardi.

I have no regrets for going to Houston for Super Bowl 51. I actually have regrets for going to Melbourne for the 2015 Semi Final. There were 72 more people at the MCG that day. But the atmosphere was trash compared to the Super Bowl.

No stadium is just standing but plenty use a combination of seats/standing to get up there. Ot atleast they did.

Michigan stadium, beaver stadium, kyle field, lousianna university, the one in ohio ... the list goes on with Us colleage football.

Latin america had a number of stadiums that could reach that level before they started inserting seats. Eden gardens in India also used to be over 100 thousand before they inserted seats and is now down to under 70 thousand.

So you are saying college stadiums are better than NFL stadiums? Glad it took us nearly two weeks to realise you were arguing something totally different to what the discussion was about.

For the record, I follow college football a lot more (particularly the Mountain West and BYU), but I'd take to suggest a college stadium is better than a pro stadium (for anything other than the age demonstrate and atmosphere- if you support the home team) is part of the "cool to be different" hipster attitude of millennials.

So you are saying college stadiums are better than NFL stadiums? Glad it took us nearly two weeks to realise you were arguing something totally different to what the discussion was about.

For the record, I follow college football a lot more (particularly the Mountain West and BYU), but I'd take to suggest a college stadium is better than a pro stadium (for anything other than the age demonstrate and atmosphere- if you support the home team) is part of the "cool to be different" hipster attitude of millennials.
The only college stadiums worth going to are those with something special about it

Heres a list of stadiums Id watch a college football match as a neutral

Michigan Stadium - You got to experience the Big House
Beaver Stadium - Only for the white out though. I wouldn't bother for any random game
Rose Bowl - It doesn't mean much to me but Id do it to see if it's as special as others say it is
TIger Stadium - Death Valley, the only stadium with the 5 yard markings, one of 2 or 3 FBS stadiums wit the 2 legged goal posts (along with Washington State and Florida State)? Just so many small things about it which make me want to go
Sanford Stadium - Gotta check out the Hedges around the field
Boone-Pickens Stadium - Id love to see how close to the field the stands actually are. It looks really cramping and therefore intimidating.
Lane Stadium - Wouldn't mind witnessing Virginia Techs enter sandman entrance
Albertson Stadium - The Blue Turf
Harvard Stadium - The horse shoe
Roos Field - The inferno

Remove this Banner Ad

Back