Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a quick cheap sporting trip.

Flying Adelaide to Honolulu - Overnight flight, so sleep
4 Full days (3 nights) on Oahu. 1 day to search the countryside. 1 day for the game vs Hawaii, 1 day to relax. (Screw shopping. Most cities in the world have everything) 1 day to do the Pearl Harbor stuff.
I can no longer go to Yellowstone (I have since found out most of the park shuts in early October. so will be shut for when im there) so ill probably just fly straight through to Boise (Honolulu-Seattle is an overnight flight, so sleep). Probably hire a car and do some driving around the Treasure Valley. Thinking heading out to Shoshone Falls. A hike through the foothills just outside the city. See the nature. Go to the Boise Game.
THen head back to Seattle. Go to 49ers vs Seahawks, Head out to the Boeing factory and have a tour. THen spend a day seeing Seattle (got a friend who lives there so can show me around)

This isn't a trip to see the country (that was 2014) I just want a quick trip to see specific things. Flights were cheap due to sales. Boise is a cheap city to stay in. Seattle I can have things covered. So the one concern is Honolulu. But hey, 4 days/3 nights is nice and quick.
Just seattle and hawaii is fine. Although the best parts of hawaii arent on oahu.

2022 at the earliest IMO.

Which is damn disappointing as all our OZ family have gotten invites to my American cousin's wedding in May 2021 in Columbia, NJ when I was due to go back for a 2nd look at the USA but off the books now dammit!!!

I’m a little more optimistic- I reckon mid 2021. Come June 2021 borders will be SEMI open. Not like it was before, but possible to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m a little more optimistic- I reckon mid 2021. Come June 2021 borders will be SEMI open. Not like it was before, but possible to travel.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I heard - dont listen/watch news so second hand info... that yesterday was the largest worldwide tally for new cases, largely driven by Europe and North America. If that's the case, mid-late 2022 at the earliest I'd say.

I heard - dont listen/watch news so second hand info... that yesterday was the largest worldwide tally for new cases, largely driven by Europe and North America. If that's the case, mid-late 2022 at the earliest I'd say.
I reckon thats based on the assumption that there needs to be zero cases before governments open up travel. Thats not going to be the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which is damn disappointing as all our OZ family have gotten invites to my American cousin's wedding in May 2021 in Columbia, NJ when I was due to go back for a 2nd look at the USA but off the books now dammit!!!
yeah that sucks

My wife is hanging to meet her nephew that is almost 5 months old but can't because of the same restrictions

The only real issue will be getting back into Australia. Otherwise everything could be organised. You could fly to Colombia as well. It's the morons in Canberra that are the problem (mandatory detention, flight caps).

If rapid testing becomes more accurate (they're working on it) then this could become an avenue for travel again.

Want to fly? Take a rapid test at the airport. Wait 30mins, test negative, and you're good to go. Test positive, and you're in quarantine. Happens in both directions (when you leave OZ, when you return to OZ).

I know it would be a massive bummer to test positive before your trip, on the day you're supposed to leave no less, and have to cancel, but you could take precautions before you fly to get that low possibility even lower. Same story on the way home, you might get stuck quarantining if you catch it while overseas, and test positive when you return, but...It would be a risk/process MANY would be prepared to go through. I would.

The big catch is how accurate they are. Currently they're not bad, but not perfect. IF they can get it refined, it might be the way forward until there is a vaccine.

Some airlines in the US is already using them. As is some European airports.

If rapid testing becomes more accurate (they're working on it) then this could become an avenue for travel again.

Want to fly? Take a rapid test at the airport. Wait 30mins, test negative, and you're good to go. Test positive, and you're in quarantine. Happens in both directions (when you leave OZ, when you return to OZ).

I know it would be a massive bummer to test positive before your trip, on the day you're supposed to leave no less, and have to cancel, but you could take precautions before you fly to get that low possibility even lower. Same story on the way home, you might get stuck quarantining if you catch it while overseas, and test positive when you return, but...It would be a risk/process MANY would be prepared to go through. I would.

The big catch is how accurate they are. Currently they're not bad, but not perfect. IF they can get it refined, it might be the way forward until there is a vaccine.

Some airlines in the US is already using them. As is some European airports.
No way any company would insure against your losses either.

No way any company would insure against your losses either.
Probably not, but the travel industry would/could encourage more flexibility in their booking processes as their "give" to get the economy moving.

Test positive? Free changes to your travel plans. Sadly, you're not going today, but you can change it to a month from now, when you're recovered, free of charge.

That might get things moving again.

Really starting to lose my patience with QANTAS

Told that the refund would take in excess of 90 days. Cool. I dont need the $2k right now. Im not gonna spend it. I just forgo on a little bit of interest.
But tomorrow is day 150. Getting a little ridiculous now.

Really starting to lose my patience with QANTAS

Told that the refund would take in excess of 90 days. Cool. I dont need the $2k right now. Im not gonna spend it. I just forgo on a little bit of interest.
But tomorrow is day 150. Getting a little ridiculous now.

i had a singapore trip booked

if it helps i just kept using the sms/chat option through the qantas app thing they have, beats trying to make phone calls and i got mine refunded soon after

Remove this Banner Ad

Back