Travel USA travel tips and tricks

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2023 I have access to long service leave, so am thinking of the following road trip. I'll have a lot of leave so will do it slowly and extensively probably. Just wondering on peoples thoughts or if there's anything else along this path you might recommend.

1. Boston, MA - USS Constitution, Boston Red Sox game - I have done Boston before (The only other place on this whole trip I have done is Boise) but when I got out to the Constitution it was late and I wouldnt have had the time to see everything, so I just took the photo from the outside. Would love to go back inside. I also did a tour of Fenway, but I would love to actually see a game too (I already know the words to Sweet Caroline :p)

Foxbourough, MA - Tour of Gillette Stadium, maybe do a little shopping for a Pats mate back home

2. Providence, RI - Go to "The Brewery" in Pawtucket - A little bit of Family Guy love, plus I think it lets me do a little more stuff and see a little more sights without adding much time (as I'd just take 1 day off the 3rd destination)

3. Springfield, MA - Basketball Hall of Fame - Felt a good stop between Boston to stay #4, so even though it's probably my least favourite of the 4 american sports, why not

Cooperstown, NY - Baseball Hall of Fame - Well, it's not that far out of the way on the way to city #4, so why not.

4. Ithica, NY - Hiking around the Finger Lakes - The city has next to no interest for me (though, IIRC, it was the base for the movie Road Trip, so i guess there is that symbolism) but the area around the finger lakes looks stunning, so Id use it as a base for some long hikes around the area

5. Buffalo, NY - Niagra Falls, KeyBank arena - In the past, waterfalls meant minimal to me, but having done Iguazu and Victorian Falls I'd love to see another of the big Waterfalls, and being a Sabres fan I'll go to the shop there, maybe do a tour if they're doing them then (Dont currently, guess we've got nothing to show off)

6. Toronto, ON - Hockey Hall of Fame - Initially I was going to go down to Cleveland and check out the city that housed The Drew Carey Show before heading straight to city #10, however, with 2 hall of fames knocked off, I noticed I could do them all and make it work without too much hassle. So why not.

7. Detroit, MI - Ann Arbor (Michigan Stadium tour) - It's the 3rd biggest stadium in the world and where Tom Brady came from. Seeing him at his best was a sight to behold, so I wouldn't mind checking out where it began (ignoring California here) - Plus, I needed to stop about here as it would've been too long of a drive from 6 to 8.

8. Dayton, OH - Football Hall of Fame - Gotta get them all in

9. Bloomington, IN - Kathryn Janeway Statue - Okay, I'm a Trekkie. And Voyager is what got me into Star Trek. I gotta see the statue for the captain of the ship. Though, I might make it a pit-stop between 8 and 10 instead of spending a night

10. Chicago, IL - Deep Dish Pizza, Wrigley Field - I have heard good things about the traditional Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, there is now a place in Adelaide that does them, but I gotta have the real thing. Plus. Wrigley Field is the one ground other than Fenway I'd love to visit. If I see a game? Great, if not, a tour will suffice.

Milwaukee, WI - My mum has always taken photos of offices of her workplace from around the world. Well, if I'm in the area I might just get one of the HQ for her

11. Green Bay, WI - Lambeau Field - It will be too early for a game (well, maybe pre-season???) but the history there is enough to make me happily visit the area for a tour.

12. Fargo, ND - Honestly no reason to come here (Even if I do admire NDSU) except to sleep as I dont really want to do a 12 hour drive.

13. Rapid City, SD - Mt. Rushmore - This is the one thing between 10 and 14 which is on my bucketlist.

14. Cody, WY - Yellowstone - Cody will be my gateway to Yellowstone. (Will be looking at late August/Early September here) - Might even stay in Yellowstone, idk

15. Twin Falls, ID - Shoshone Falls - It's the Niagra of the West. It's the testing grounds for Evil Kenivel. And as I said back at Buffalo, I really love waterfalls now

16. Boise, ID - Broncos Game, Hiking around the foothills - I love this city, a real Adelaide charm and feel to it. My goal will be to be here for September 9th and the game vs UCF. Some more hiking in the hills with sweeping views across the town.

17. Seattle, WA - See a mate, Seahawks game (if it doesnt work, a tour), Boeing tour - A mate of mine (Family friend, and we caught up quite often when I lived in Sydney and he lived in Canberra) lives there now and it would be good catching up. I'd love to experience the atmosphere in that stadium and hear just how loud it gets. Then see the production plants for the Boeing fleet. WOuld be great.

The 2 big changes I'm open to

1. Do I take a more southern route between Chicago and Rapid City. Lambeau Field and my admiration of NDSU makes me consider going WI-MN-ND but if there's some good suggestions to take more of a IA-NE route I will consider it.

2. Is there anything in ID, OR or WA someone would recommend? I am open to going from Twin Falls to somewhere else on the way to Seattle, be there for the Washington-Boise State game on September 2 then work back and finish the entire trip at Boise instead of Seattle.

17. Seattle, WA - See a mate, Seahawks game (if it doesnt work, a tour), Boeing tour - A mate of mine (Family friend, and we caught up quite often when I lived in Sydney and he lived in Canberra) lives there now and it would be good catching up. I'd love to experience the atmosphere in that stadium and hear just how loud it gets. Then see the production plants for the Boeing fleet. WOuld be great.
Seattle is a great spot. The mariners baseball stadium is next door to the Seahawks stadium and is well worth the tour.

In 2023 I have access to long service leave, so am thinking of the following road trip. I'll have a lot of leave so will do it slowly and extensively probably. Just wondering on peoples thoughts or if there's anything else along this path you might recommend.

1. Boston, MA - USS Constitution, Boston Red Sox game - I have done Boston before (The only other place on this whole trip I have done is Boise) but when I got out to the Constitution it was late and I wouldnt have had the time to see everything, so I just took the photo from the outside. Would love to go back inside. I also did a tour of Fenway, but I would love to actually see a game too (I already know the words to Sweet Caroline :p)

Foxbourough, MA - Tour of Gillette Stadium, maybe do a little shopping for a Pats mate back home

2. Providence, RI - Go to "The Brewery" in Pawtucket - A little bit of Family Guy love, plus I think it lets me do a little more stuff and see a little more sights without adding much time (as I'd just take 1 day off the 3rd destination)

3. Springfield, MA - Basketball Hall of Fame - Felt a good stop between Boston to stay #4, so even though it's probably my least favourite of the 4 american sports, why not

Cooperstown, NY - Baseball Hall of Fame - Well, it's not that far out of the way on the way to city #4, so why not.

4. Ithica, NY - Hiking around the Finger Lakes - The city has next to no interest for me (though, IIRC, it was the base for the movie Road Trip, so i guess there is that symbolism) but the area around the finger lakes looks stunning, so Id use it as a base for some long hikes around the area

5. Buffalo, NY - Niagra Falls, KeyBank arena - In the past, waterfalls meant minimal to me, but having done Iguazu and Victorian Falls I'd love to see another of the big Waterfalls, and being a Sabres fan I'll go to the shop there, maybe do a tour if they're doing them then (Dont currently, guess we've got nothing to show off)

6. Toronto, ON - Hockey Hall of Fame - Initially I was going to go down to Cleveland and check out the city that housed The Drew Carey Show before heading straight to city #10, however, with 2 hall of fames knocked off, I noticed I could do them all and make it work without too much hassle. So why not.

7. Detroit, MI - Ann Arbor (Michigan Stadium tour) - It's the 3rd biggest stadium in the world and where Tom Brady came from. Seeing him at his best was a sight to behold, so I wouldn't mind checking out where it began (ignoring California here) - Plus, I needed to stop about here as it would've been too long of a drive from 6 to 8.

9. Bloomington, IN - Kathryn Janeway Statue - Okay, I'm a Trekkie. And Voyager is what got me into Star Trek. I gotta see the statue for the captain of the ship. Though, I might make it a pit-stop between 8 and 10 instead of spending a night

10. Chicago, IL - Deep Dish Pizza, Wrigley Field - I have heard good things about the traditional Chicago Deep Dish Pizza, there is now a place in Adelaide that does them, but I gotta have the real thing. Plus. Wrigley Field is the one ground other than Fenway I'd love to visit. If I see a game? Great, if not, a tour will suffice.

Milwaukee, WI - My mum has always taken photos of offices of her workplace from around the world. Well, if I'm in the area I might just get one of the HQ for her

11. Green Bay, WI - Lambeau Field - It will be too early for a game (well, maybe pre-season???) but the history there is enough to make me happily visit the area for a tour.

12. Fargo, ND - Honestly no reason to come here (Even if I do admire NDSU) except to sleep as I dont really want to do a 12 hour drive.

13. Rapid City, SD - Mt. Rushmore - This is the one thing between 10 and 14 which is on my bucketlist.

14. Cody, WY - Yellowstone - Cody will be my gateway to Yellowstone. (Will be looking at late August/Early September here) - Might even stay in Yellowstone, idk

15. Twin Falls, ID - Shoshone Falls - It's the Niagra of the West. It's the testing grounds for Evil Kenivel. And as I said back at Buffalo, I really love waterfalls now

16. Boise, ID - Broncos Game, Hiking around the foothills - I love this city, a real Adelaide charm and feel to it. My goal will be to be here for September 9th and the game vs UCF. Some more hiking in the hills with sweeping views across the town.

1. Do I take a more southern route between Chicago and Rapid City. Lambeau Field and my admiration of NDSU makes me consider going WI-MN-ND but if there's some good suggestions to take more of a IA-NE route I will consider it.

2. Is there anything in ID, OR or WA someone would recommend? I am open to going from Twin Falls to somewhere else on the way to Seattle, be there for the Washington-Boise State game on September 2 then work back and finish the entire trip at Boise instead of Seattle.
I hope you get to do your trip.
One place you mention - Rapid City ND, I visited and the area around it is superb. Black Hills, Badlands, Custer Park, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, Deadwood, Devils Tower. The city itself is nothing much - but around it is heaps to do and the Hills are beautiful. In Custer Park I had to stop the car as a huge herd of buffalo wandered by - so close you could touch them.
An out of the way, but really good spot!

My name is engraved on the USS Constitution as part of the restoration, the lower hull was covered with fresh copper sheets that tourists signed.

Same.
2023 long service leave its then or never
Getting vaccinated next month
Will do some OZ hops around in the next 2 years

But June 2023 13 weeks

Brisbane LA Salt Lake City Denver Chicago Buffalo Niagara Falls DC Philly
NYC Boston Springfield Syracuse Cleveland Detroit Indianapolis
St Louis Louisville Columbus Cincinnati Canton Pittsburgh
Baltimore Harrisburg Gettysburg then a week or two with my Aunt and Uncle in NJ.

Nice, My best trip in America involved some of these cities. Very easy to meet people if you will be single.

Dayton OH has the Museum of the US Air Force
A definite must see

Also extra time in Chicago
#1 city in the US

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same.
2023 long service leave it's then or never

But May to July 2023 11 weeks

Bus and train tour (travel pass):
Brisbane LA Salt Lake City Denver Chicago Buffalo Niagara Falls DC Philly NYC Boston

Then a 30 day car road trip:
Springfield Syracuse Cleveland Detroit Indianapolis
St Louis Nashville Louisville Columbus Cincinnati Canton Pittsburgh
Baltimore Harrisburg Gettysburg drop the car off at Philly then a week or two with my Aunt and Uncle in NJ including the POCONO 400 NASCAR event.

Here is a tip , stay away from all of LA and SFC.
Absolute diabolical s**t holes .
And that was 6 moths PRE covid.
Be hell on earth now.

Canadian side of Niagara Falls is way better than Buffalo

The one beauty of the USA presently is that you can get RAT tests anywhere swab yourself there and then and get a result within a couple of hours

So me and my best mate still on next year - very flexible - a lot of RAT tests no real bother. I got tested 9 times in 5 weeks when i went from QLD to SA for Christmas school holidays to satisfy the QLD government and my HR department.

Coast to coast (only 2 buses - the rest are small passenger flights to save time) for 30 days then a 30 day road trip hiring a car then a week or two with my Aunt, Uncle and cousins in NJ.

couple of friends and i are looking at a little Vancouver-Banff trip early OCT before we have a wedding in Toronto on OCT 8

anyone have any experiences or recommendations on how to approach this? i have looked up the rocky mountaineer and the last train of the season is OCT 3 which is kind of fitting, i know it can be pricey but i am sure its amazing and memorable.

looking at arriving in Vancouver maybe OCT 1

couple of friends and i are looking at a little Vancouver-Banff trip early OCT before we have a wedding in Toronto on OCT 8

anyone have any experiences or recommendations on how to approach this? i have looked up the rocky mountaineer and the last train of the season is OCT 3 which is kind of fitting, i know it can be pricey but i am sure its amazing and memorable.

looking at arriving in Vancouver maybe OCT 1
I did Vancouver and Whistler in late September a few years back. I recommend you spend a night or 2 in Whistler. Vancouver is nice but IMO not a lot to do there. Whistler is only an hour from Vancouver. It used to be called 'Whistralia' as so many young Aussies were living and working there. What amazed me is how vibrant the place is outside the ski season. Mountain biking takes over the ski slopes, and you can go on official bear spotting tours.

I don't know anything about Banff, but imagine it is a bigger version of Whistler.

Have you considered flying into Seattle before Vancouver? Seattle is one of the USA's hidden urban gems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back