USAFL and others | BigFooty
  1. New Image Editor now Live

A basic image editor is now available to all users. Improvements are still in the works, but it is usable right now. Just hit "Edit Image" when you upload an image into a post. Try It ...

Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

USAFL and others

Discussion in 'International Footy' started by childsy_1985, Apr 21, 2016.

1. childsy_1985

childsy_1985 Draftee

Adelaide
    I was just wondering how much support the AFL gives to international competitions such as the USAFL. I have been watching USAFL games on youtube for a while now and I have been impressed with how some of the guys have picked up the game, but where aussie kids grow up watching the game most of these guys are picking it up for the first time. Does the AFL help out with coaching and teaching people new to the game how to play?

for anyone who doesnt already know you can watch USAFL games on this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRNfA98KyPPvSiYQ6DYRjWA
    just a guy with a regular camera providing commentary but its still good to watch

Airdog222 likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. canterbury bulldog

canterbury bulldog Debutant

Western Bulldogs
    Talking to some of the guys from the USAFL , they receive little support from the AFL. They have built this competition in the country since 1997. About 34 teams around the country and about 4000 people play from what I'm told

3. TWLS

TWLS All Australian

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    GWS Giants
    This could be down the track some interesting news for the USAFL -Some might say drawing a very long bow for the future.
    In an article by Michael Body in The Australian today - Only avail online to subscribers.
    "Cricket Steps up push into US market."
    In brief the Big Bash League will air live weekly on NBC Sports (85 million domestic subs) for 1 year and options to renew.
    Cricket Australia has resigned 5 yr deal with US Cricket Nwork -Willow -now owned by an Indian Group.
    A big push now on by CA and the ICC to promote the game at grassroots and College with new staff and with a new office in Colorado.
    Right where does the USAFL Come in -This is the long bow - Cricket need Cricket grounds grounds to play on and so does the USAFL. May not happen but worth thinking about in the future.
    Anybody reading this from USAFL suggest do some checking.

4. bweagles

bweagles Rookie

West Coast
    Just started this account on behalf of our club, the Baltimore Washington Eagles, to connect with footy fans in Australia and share info on how footy is going in the US.

The USAFL, from my knowledge, doesn't receive a lot of support from the AFL. There are very few full-time staffed positions in the USAFL dedicated to the league.

Individual clubs are left to their own devices to raise money and recruit players. Because there isn't a constant pool of money, clubs fluctuate in performance depending on what years they get decent sponsorship/donations/recruits and when they don't. The BW Eagles, for example, spent several years at the top of the competition, then dropped off for several years.

The two powerhouse clubs at the moment are Austin Crows and New York Magpies.

The Florida teams also do pretty well re money, players, as do the California teams.

AFL clubs provide assistance to teams they are affiliated with. For example, we're affiliated with WCE and they've sent us some gear. NY Magpies have an official affiliation with Collingwood, etc.

A lot of former players/AFL staff move to the US post-career, and they help wherever they are. We have Danny Seow, former Collingwood/Melbourne player, coaching us, as well as a former development assistant at Gold Coast. There are also ex-VFL/SANFL players scattered across the teams.

But no, there's nothing organised from the AFL. That's a real shame because I can tell you, when Americans pick up this sport, they absolutely love it, including women. Our women's league is full of Americans, whereas the men's league is probably 50/50 Americans/Aussie expats. There's potential here that the AFL hasn't tapped into.

*Crash* and The_Wookie like this.
  5. Kansas

Kansas Draftee

Gold Coast
    Grounds are indeed the biggest stumbling block to the growth of 18 a side footy. While growing a cricket culture here would increase pressure for facilities I struggle to see that happening, frankly in my lifetime, to any great extent.
    As far as help from the AFL, I just wish we could get some kind of television deal done. My god, I was sitting in a local pub in Wichita while hosting a Grand Final watch party and there was Chinese Arena Football on another channel. Seriously, I think a properly packaged AFL Game of the week concept could pull better ratings than the CAFA.

canterbury bulldog likes this.
  6. BigBrainUSA

BigBrainUSA Rookie

Hawthorn
    At the time this was posted, it was the president of the league doing camera, and me. ^_^

It will most likely be the same for this year.

7. CrowdedHouse

CrowdedHouse Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Port Melbourne (VFL)
    The 'American BT' was a guest on this week's podcast.

The last hour of the podcast is a preview of the USAFL women's season for this year.

8. TWLS

TWLS All Australian

West Coast
    Other Teams:
    GWS Giants
  9. RedV3x

RedV3x Club Legend

Fremantle
  10. Freofalcon

Freofalcon Brownlow Medallist

Fremantle
    Other Teams:
    West Perth, Hajduk Split, West Ham
  11. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    This is something of a big deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. melbournemartin

melbournemartin Brownlow Medallist

Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Genève-Servette HC, Pittsburgh Pens
    **** yeah, my dream of playing on ESPN is finally about to be accomplished :handfist::handfist::handfist:

Over The Post likes this.
  13. CrowdedHouse

CrowdedHouse Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    Port Melbourne (VFL)
    Our preview of the Women's Division 1 at this weekend's USAFL Nationals is in our latest podcast...

14. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
  15. RedV3x

RedV3x Club Legend

Fremantle
    Probably the most inaccurate summation of football in the USA I've ever read.