ADDE8CF7-135A-4334-9ED8-B807085C3B59.jpeg

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
On the surface this seems like good PR. Offer him a trial then after trial has finished apologise and say he is really close but not quite ready to make the step yet.

On the flip side it may make a mockery of the league. Can you imagine potential marquee players hearing that Usain Bolt plays in the league? They'll laugh and then head to India. I've seen him play in the charity match at Old Trafford a few months back and whilst he is a decent footballer he isn't close to professional standard.

sydney_gws

Club Legend
Oct 31, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
qpr
They need young players who might develop into stars to be sold overseas. Need to sign if possible 19, 20 year olds as imports, not dead wood 4th tier 30 year olds.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I saw something about the Bolt thing generating the equivalent of 4.5 million worth of advertising traffic for the CCM. That's all well and good but you're not going to be able to do anything with those numbers. Can't sell memberships, can't sell advertising etc etc. Am sure if they go to Masterfoods and tell them we got all this extra exposure this year through Bolt so we'll need to up our arrangement.

darko

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tbh small part of me wants to see this happen.

I want to see 9.58 on the back of a jersey. Also want to see how much media frenzy we get. I reckon it'll be pretty wild.

On the flip side however it makes a mockery out of the league. Then again FFA have been doing that for a better part of the decade.

Nov 27, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kind of embarrassing, but I mean Borrussia Dortmund had him trial so it ain't that bad. Would definitely rather see the league's Marquee money go elsewhere though.

Dortmund wasn’t a real trial, they had finalised the squad and just had Bolt in the corner kicking the ball around for fun and show.

This would be a legitimate trial...which is somewhat scary lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The_Todd07

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Red Sox 76ers
Kinda want it to work out just for the potential to see him fly past defenders who had a 5-10m start on him to get onto a through ball. Who knows what would happen next but the first part would be something to behold

Would be better as a RB. Got the speed to keep up with wingers and the height to defend crosses. If he takes possession under pressure he can just blast the ball up field. Could also get into the box for attacking corners and pose a problem for defenders.

Putting him up front is just begging for mistakes to be made and skill errors getting highlighted.

Last edited:

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
He may be the fastest in the word but would he even be the fastest over 20 metres at CCM? How often is he going to be able to get at least half a field of space to exploit his pace. Going to tune in tonight to watch though.

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Without seeing the game tonight, I've thought all along would his speed really make that much difference.

Sure he can run 100m in under 10 seconds but there are blokes in the league who can run 100m in 12 seconds who have the football nous regarding where and when to run etc. And over say 30 metres the gap in speed really isn't that much.

Plus, I understand the publicity surrounding him but wouldn't the basketcase that is the Mariners be better off spending the 3 million dollars the chairman said they can afford on someone capable of making them competitive again.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
So many melts on the Twittersphere tonight

The bloke clearly loves his football and cricket, pretty sure he said a few years back when he retires from sprinting he'd try and make it as a footballer. That dream is nearly a reality.

He's got a few things going for him that could help him, speed, professional discipline etc, his age being what 31? goes against him a bit, but who knows.

Can't fault anyone trying to make it in various sports.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
Trouble in paradise. Apparently he wants 3 million and Central Coast said they'd do 150k and a couple inflatable sauce bottles. Not training with the squad now until a deal is done, lol. How badly does he really want to be a footballer? Time will soon tell.

AJ_2000

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2007
Right Here.... Right Now.
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Houston Roughnecks
It's too early to sign a pro contract. He's a mile off the standard to play in the a league and make a living from this. I don't have an issue with him training and improving - but not getting a legit pro contraxt

I'm sure the $3m is closely tied by his people to being remunerated for the potential income he would generate for the club/comp - but he's not worth that as a footballer, nor the $150k.

Back