Use of the word 'Wog'

Remove this Banner Ad

Dare say my Nannu wouldn't really like it, because he copped a fair amount of discrimination when he was growing up here. On the other hand, I have relatives who use it somewhat frequently, especially at large family gatherings. Personally, I don't much care, unless it's being used in a derogatory manner. Being more Anglo, I wouldn't use it in relation to anyone who didn't know me, because they'd probably think that I was taking the piss.

Aside from being a young dumb campaigner I wouldn’t have used the word unless it was with mates and I knew they weren’t offended by it. In certain contexts “wog” is (especially amongst men) a term of endearment, we take the piss out of each other. It’s also not a word that’s been used to oppress and vilify the way the n word or the f word has.

Having said that, I certainly wouldn’t say it to people I didn’t personally know well enough to know they wouldn’t be offended and if by chance they (over time had) become offended by me using it I would openly apologize and stop.

I think with racist behaviour one of the biggest issues is that perpetrators (almost always white people) get extremely offended by having their racist behaviour called out because they think that, by extension, they are being called racist. Plenty of people are guilty of racist acts (me included) that doesn’t by extension make you a racist person, but if you don’t recognize and address that behaviour then you sure as hell are, to me, a racist.

To use a pretty bad analogy. You might have one traffic accident that was your fault, that doesn’t make you a bad driver but if you have a bunch of accidents that are your fault and never learn from those then you are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back