Moved Thread Using the term 'ruckperson' apparently will reduce domestic violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I decided to go here. (Please move if it is necessary)

According to this article, a university led conference is calling for gender-neutral language in sports, and believes using terms such as "ruckperson" and "batspeople" will reduce domestic violence against women.

Push to makes sports language gender-neutral to reduce violence against women
PETER ROLFE, Herald Sun
December 1, 2017 3:31pm
Subscriber only
AN AFL ruckman should be known as a “ruckperson” and cricket batsmen referred to as “batspeople” under a Victorian-led push to reduce violence against women.

WOMEN FACE RAMPANT SEXUAL VIOLENCE

BID FOR MORE FEMALE SPORT ON TV

A university-led conference has called for gender-neutral language to be used across all sporting codes at every level.

Swinburne and Latrobe University researchers have begun work on studies linking sports to reducing violence against women.

TOM ELLIOTT: GENDER-BASED QUOTAS BELITTLE WOMEN

dcfd16c59d0a2db9abfc6f05183b6301

A roundtable of Victorian sport leaders, including professional clubs, governing bodies and government partners, met to tackle the issue of geder-neutral language in sport.
And a roundtable of Victorian sport leaders, including professional clubs, governing bodies and government partners, met to tackle the issue last week.

A key recommendation was to “employ gender-neutral language across the sporting sector’’. “This is believed to discredit rigid gender roles and stereotyped constructions of masculinity and femininity,’’ it found.

The project was commissioned by the Andrews Government’s Office of Prevention and Women’s Equality. Pilot testing of the recommendations is set to be carried out next year.

Honestly one of the most ridiculous things I've read lmao.

This world is a complete and utter mess

So I guess it’s now

Snowperson
Walkperson
Batperson
Superperson(although super girl and Wonder Woman will be fine)

I hate to tell the people who actually think this is an issue but although I am a person I am also a man and would prefer to be referred to as such.

And while I’m at it I might be a Dinosaur but the word partner sh!ts me beyond tears also.

also watch the meninists flock to this thread like flies to a pile of s**t
What about those who don't identify as human, such as dragon-kin, fiction-kin and worm-kin et al? I'm sure they'd have something to say if they ever discovered sports.

I propose taking this logic to its natural conclusion: replace 'man' with something that encompasses all, such as Ruckentity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

here come the professional victims

I don't remember too many Centre-Half Forwardmen playing footy, so just saying 'Ruck' should be fine

So I guess it’s now

Snowperson
Walkperson
Batperson

one of those things is not like the other things

Superman is a proper noun - it's someone's name, so don't stress your worried head

No one has walkmans anymore anyway

So I guess it’s now

Snowperson
Walkperson
Batperson

I hate to tell the people who actually think this is an issue but although I am a person I am also a man and would prefer to be referred to as such.

And while I’m at it I might be a Dinosaur but the word partner sh!ts me beyond tears also.

Australia's new greatest cricketer Don Bradperson ??

This gender neutral speak has been around for years and it doesn't apply to AFL has a ruckman is clearly the right term wheres in the AFLW it would be a ruckwomen, its a bit different in jobs where it can be filled by either a man or women.

Why cant a female Ruck be referred to as a Ruckman in just the same way as a female man is referred to as a WoMAN?

Yeah this sort of language bastardization has been happening for a while now but is there any proof of outcome?
If so, then lets cut the BS and just ban the word man, and move onto target more extreme language such as male, penis, XY etc.

It’s about time someone brought this to our attention

How dare we call people Ruck”man”, so sexiest...

Everyone should get behind this, we can finally get rid of this absolute shocking injustice

#ruckperson #person #woperson

Why cant a female Ruck be referred to as a Ruckman in just the same way as a female man is referred to as a WoMAN?

H

I don't see any reason why they can't be called a ruckman but my point was that the term ruckman is the right one for the AFL because only a man plays in that position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back