Usman Khawaja

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. Good FC player, but beyond that just didn't cut the mustard. He'd constantly a start but never capitalised, 10 times in his test career he made over 20 runs, for 2 x50s and 0 x100s, these figures just aren't acceptable for someone at test level.

Shane_Watson_1828979i.jpg

chris_rogers_18rilcr-18rimmj.jpg

Even before his dismissal he looked edgy and nervous, playing with hard hands that you felt he was just going to give a chance to one of the close-in fielders any ball. And he probably knew it too which is why he did the panic sweep shot.

Re: his 1st innings run out, that seemed to be borne out of nervousness and panic as well, perhaps also those criticisms of him not taking singles enough were in his head and he overcompensated.

Dropping him after one Test would be harsh but he looks so unsure of himself it may be a blessing in disguise for him. If nothing else, this Test shows the selectors were right to leave him out of the India series.

So who's the poor sod who has to play the sole 2nd test in place of Khawaja?

It makes a lot of sense to continue with Khawaja - what's the worst that can happen?

Because there's nothing to gain by introducing a noob for a single test - he will be in a no-win situation.

Why does it have to be a single test? Not as if Cartwright wouldn't score runs in Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why does it have to be a single test? Not as if Cartwright wouldn't score runs in Australia.

Why would we dump khawaja for the ashes?

He has dominated at home in recent years and was our best vs SA when they were all over us, as s**t as things are right now i still want our best side for the ashes as losing that won't make us any better in asia and reality is our next tour where spin will be a threat isn't until march 2019 when we got the uae to play pakistan.

Why would we dump khawaja for the ashes?

He has dominated at home in recent years and was our best vs SA when they were all over us, as s**t as things are right now i still want our best side for the ashes as losing that won't make us any better in asia and reality is our next tour where spin will be a threat isn't until march 2019 when we got the uae to play pakistan.

Why?

England aren't stupid. Khawaja comes in who you recon is bowling...Ali at the very least. Once you have a major weakness teams will exploit it. Waste of time playing someone just at home as well. Lets groom someone- doesn't have to be Cartwright, but just someone that isn't Khawaja. If that means we forgo 10-15 runs at home for the next 12 months, I'll happily accept that. Long term plan.

If it was a simple as just bring your spinner on then usman would have failed the last few years at home and in nz, he like warner can survive spin at home and then destroy pace attacks.

My issue is we are basically saying lets dump somebody we know can score runs vs quality pace(with 9 tests vs sa/eng ahead)in the hope that a year and a half from now his replacement might play well in the uae but for all we know that new bloke might struggle vs pace and might not be the answer in asia anyway.

We still have to pick the ashes side based on the ashes needs as we are far too weak to be picking project players for a 2 test series in march 2019.

If it was a simple as just bring your spinner on then usman would have failed the last few years at home and in nz, he like warner can survive spin at home and then destroy pace attacks.

My issue is we are basically saying lets dump somebody we know can score runs vs quality pace(with 9 tests vs sa/eng ahead)in the hope that a year and a half from now his replacement might play well in the uae but for all we know that new bloke might struggle vs pace and might not be the answer in asia anyway.

We still have to pick the ashes side based on the ashes needs as we are far too weak to be picking project players for a 2 test series in march 2019.
Since when has he proven to score runs against quality pace attacks? All he's proven is that he can bat on a flat deck. He can't play spin, spinners on flat decks are not the same as spinners on non-flat decks.

He was our best vs SA on the only bowler friendly decks we have produced in years and he dominated home and away vs boult and southee, seriously people are actually going to argue he isn't one of our best batsmen vs pace bowling?

fair enough he is shocking in asia but whats that got to do with picking the best top 6 for facing anderson and broad on our decks?

Tell me you are not saying those decks against NZ were anything but flat? Did something for like an hour (of which we won the toss sent them in and rolled them)...and then was a flat road.

I still don't get what you guys are aiming at though?

Im talking about our strongest team to face englands quicks on those typical aussie decks, we don't have blokes who can dominate the best swing bowlers in the world in places like england and i wasn't saying usman is that bloke but once again what on earth has that go to do with picking our best top 6 for facing englands quicks on typical aussie pitches.

if warner had failed in this last knock he still would be our best pick for opener at home vs england on our pitches, not defending the serious flaws these blokes have i just don't want us losing the ashes as well as losing in asia and the notion that we can just pick any 6 randoms out of the shield and they will surely belt englands attack around because the pitches are flat is just silly.

Last edited:
I still don't get what you guys are aiming at though?

Im talking about our strongest team to face englands quicks on those typical aussie decks, we don't have blokes who can dominate the best swing bowlers in the world in places like england and i wasn't saying usman is that bloke but once again what on earth has that go to do with picking our best top 6 for facing englands quicks on typical aussie pitches.

if warner had failed in this last knock he still would be our best pick for opener at home vs england on our pitches, not defending the serious flaws these blokes have i just don't want us losing the ashes as well as losing in asia and the notion that we can just pic any 6 randoms out of the shield and they will surely belt englands attack around because the pitches are flat is just silly.

I'm saying I'd rather move on. If he can't score overseas, he's gone for mine. People bag SMarsh...well he's scored a bucketload more than Khawaja has overseas lately...and then again I have no interest going back there.

Personally I'm giving Cartwright first crack, with Kurtis Patterson/Travis Dean and a few others in contention.

Would you have wanted warner dumped for the ashes as well if he failed in this last dig?

I understand where you are coming from but i think we forget that half our top 6 are still relatively unknown prospects even on our easier decks but in smith usman and warner we do have 3 players that have scored a lot of runs at home in recent years, maybe if the schedule was different i could understand moving on before the ashes but we play the ashes then we play in SA then india/sl at home a year later, we don't have any tours to slow or spinning pitches in the next 18 months so surely for the ashes at least we pick the side just for that actual series?

I just think it's arrogant to assume we are anywhere near strong enough to pick our ashes side with an eye to 2018 tours when we just got rolled at home a few months back.

He's batting like he's afraid he's a poor wicket away from being dropped, like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. A smart captain/coach would walk up to him and give him peace of mind; you're not going to get dropped, you've the entire series to work this out, we'll do whatever extra sessions/ training you need to fix this.

Batting like he's Cullinan before facing up to Warne.

As for whether or not he should/shouldn't be dropped, if you drop him here the mental stuff that's clearly affecting him already becomes fixed in his head. It comes down to whether or not you see him as fixable - his technique against spin; I don't, but if someone is able to show him how to sweep properly it'd go a long way to improving his tactics against them.

If he is, then taking him out serves no purpose; it beats down on a bloke you're using as a foundation. The worst thing to do would be to simply leave him in there, though, without trying to address his issues, or without giving him that peace of mind.

Bumping this thread. What a turnaround for Khawaja these last two years, opening in test cricket, where he should of played his whole Test career in retrospect. Selectors had chances after his innings as opener in 2016 and 2018 and still didn’t pull the trigger to do so.

Can he play a part at all in the 2023 ODI WC in India? I know its late in the process and the squad is pretty much set, but players like Marnus have had poor returns in ODI cricket for the last couple of years.

If Uzzie was given the chance to open for us at the WC on Indian soil, he would dominate. Punter played the 2011 WC aged 36, so age shouldn’t be as big a problem. Warner and Heady have first dibs on the openers spots. But surely he could at least be considered. His performance in the 2019 ODI series in India, where he was Man of the Series, and his most runs effort in the recent test tour of India in 2023, should get some merit for selection. He’s a proven performer in recent times on slow, turning wickets.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back