UTOPIA

Remove this Banner Ad

http://workingdog.com/Brand-new-Utopia-starts-Wednesday-July-19!.php

Utopia Season 3…More Not So Grand Designs

The highly-anticipated third series of the multi-award winning comedy Utopia starts on Wednesday, July 19 at 9pm on ABC and ABC iview.

Set inside the offices of the “Nation Building Authority”, a federal government organisation responsible for overseeing major infrastructure projects, Utopia explores that moment when bureaucracy and grand dreams collide. It’s a tribute to those political leaders who have somehow managed to take a long-term vision and use it for short-term gain.

The eight-part series follows the working lives of a tight-knit team in charge of guiding big construction schemes from announcement to unveiling. Constant shifts in priorities are the order of the day as the staff are asked to come up with plans for everything from new roads and rail lines to airports and high rise urban developments. In short, Utopia examines the forces that go into creating a very well-designed white elephant.

Watched Utopia for the first time ever last night. Dunno how I've missed it all this time, I think I thought it was something else entirely.

I consider The Hollowmen to be the greatest Australian comedy series of all time, despite being only 13ish episodes long, so Utopia being in the same vein has piqued my interest after just one episode. Rob Sitch's character being almost identical (or perhaps he is the same character, with Utopia being a spinoff?) is bloody fantastic.

Yep.

I also think that the replacement token Asian girl isn't as good as the previous one - she doesn't play the clueless assistant as well

Yeah i watched the first episode with my wife and she didn't realise it's basically all the people from have you been paying attention, then i mentioned the girl from playschool and it turns out she isn't on it anymore

Yeah i watched the first episode with my wife and she didn't realise it's basically all the people from have you been paying attention, then i mentioned the girl from playschool and it turns out she isn't on it anymore
Not surprising that they have similar casts, given that they're both Working Dog productions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought last week's ep was the best in a long time. Worked up to the end beautifully.

Sitch and Pacquola make the show, would not work without them. Perhaps they could create another 'straight' character to revolve the chaos around.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I consider The Hollowmen to be the greatest Australian comedy series of all time, despite being only 13ish episodes long, so Utopia being in the same vein has piqued my interest after just one episode. Rob Sitch's character being almost identical (or perhaps he is the same character, with Utopia being a spinoff?) is bloody fantastic.

I'd suggest there's a distinction between Sitch's character: he's more cynical and gets more exasperated by the inefficiencies and the insanity in Utopia. His attitude is more like Lachy Hume's character from Hollowmen to me.

The thing that gets me in my office is how universally revered Utopia seems to be, but it's hilarious to me that the people who seem to love it so much also seem to be the people who are responsible for a lot of the same pointless waste of money/time initiatives that we see in the show.

I miss the red head dude.... it was that beautiful synchronicity between being eager to help and being a complete nuff. The new dude is just a w***er.... unlike big red didn't realize he's a nuffie.

New receptionist is bad as well.... just smacks of smart person pretending to be dumb person.

I miss the red head dude.... it was that beautiful synchronicity between being eager to help and being a complete nuff. The new dude is just a ******.... unlike big red didn't realize he's a nuffie.

New receptionist is bad as well.... just smacks of smart person pretending to be dumb person.

Yeah good calls. And just how Hugh (the redhead) obviously had some natural intelligence, but didn't have that common sense that would make it an asset. He'd probably be good at a trivia night.

Favourite scenes? The one where they had money leftover in the budget, so a catch-up between Tony, Jim and Rhonda became a fully catered event, complete with waiters and printed table places cracked me up. Or when Katie brings in the obligatory three dozen muffins for a quick staff catch-up and Tony says "We don't actually have to have a banquet every time we get together" (not that funny, but definitely resonated with me).

Yeah good calls. And just how Hugh (the redhead) obviously had some natural intelligence, but didn't have that common sense that would make it an asset. He'd probably be good at a trivia night.

Favourite scenes? The one where they had money leftover in the budget, so a catch-up between Tony, Jim and Rhonda became a fully catered event, complete with waiters and printed table places cracked me up. Or when Katie brings in the obligatory three dozen muffins for a quick staff catch-up and Tony says "We don't actually have to have a banquet every time we get together" (not that funny, but definitely resonated with me).

My favourite is the fast rail episode:

"Jim, its a white elephant!"
"But 95% of people are for it!"
"What about the other 5%?"
"Who cares about them, I mean who are they?"
"Economists, feasibility planners, rail experts....."

Is Mrs Doubtfire still there? Haha

Nice that it's back. My old work had a huge storeroom of outdated gear and merchandise from defunct programs and plastered with sponsors logos who were no longer with us. Never used. Tens of thousands of dollars worth.

At one stage we gave a bunch of clothing to goodwill but later copped complaints when a few homeless people were wandering around town with our corporate gear on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back