UWS Giants - GWS NEAFL (reserves) team 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

This situation just highlights how we have to make full use of having extended list in 2013 both with our main list (we could have an extra 6 players on what we currently have) and with rookie spots (another 6 on what we currently have). That said we don't need to use every rookie spot but another 1-2 players on what we have would be helpful.

This situation just highlights how we have to make full use of having extended list in 2013 both with our main list (we could have an extra 6 players on what we currently have) and with rookie spots (another 6 on what we currently have). That said we don't need to use every rookie spot but another 1-2 players on what we have would be helpful.
I was at a UWS game, standing next to SOS Silvagni and Gubby Allen (among others who would make me sound like a name-dropper !).
I wasn't eavesdropping and heard nothing special but I was in awe of these guys and the way they take it all in - they seriously have a vision of where GWS is heading and I'm convinced that every move the GWS makes is for a reason. The team is going to be AMAZING in years to come !

But CMC, if you were coach and I was your assistant then we'd agree that another couple of players would be helpful....shows how much WE know !

I was at a UWS game, standing next to SOS Silvagni and Gubby Allen (among others who would make me sound like a name-dropper !).
I wasn't eavesdropping and heard nothing special but I was in awe of these guys and the way they take it all in - they seriously have a vision of where GWS is heading and I'm convinced that every move the GWS makes is for a reason. The team is going to be AMAZING in years to come !

It doesn't make you sound like a name dropper bacause what you experienced is Situation Normal with GWS. I think any of us who hang around the place have similar stories, and the openness and availability of our management, coaches and players is way beyond what other clubs' supporters experience.

And the enthusiasm it has generated with you resounds within us all. It's why all the trolls, snipers and press based pessimism doesn't impact on our vision of what is to come.

This is a truly amazing club already - it's just that the rest of the AFL - and the Australian sporting public - doesn't know it yet. But they will.

It doesn't make you sound like a name dropper bacause what you experienced is Situation Normal with GWS. I think any of us who hang around the place have similar stories, and the openness and availability of our management, coaches and players is way beyond what other clubs' supporters experience.

And the enthusiasm it has generated with you resounds within us all. It's why all the trolls, snipers and press based pessimism doesn't impact on our vision of what is to come.

This is a truly amazing club already - it's just that the rest of the AFL - and the Australian sporting public - doesn't know it yet. But they will.

I saw a couple of the GWS games in the NEAFL last year in Canberra, and the best bit was going to the huddle at quarter and 3/4 time to listen to Sheeds - fantatastic stuff!!

I "liked" both of these previous posts. It's bad enough watching the reaction when you tell people that you follow GWS Giants, but telling people you follow the UWS RESERVES evokes a reaction of stunned silence, without any words that can be discerned !!
There's really nothing to say after you declare that, is there ?

But what you both said is correct - we are watching history being made, and we are a part of it. Whether you stand in the huddle and listen to Sheeds (how good is THAT ??) or stand next to Patton, Palmer, Izzie, Buszard, Silvagni and Gubby as I have done, we know that we're part of something special.

Yes, Oozeboss, they probably all think we're daggy losers but, hey, let 'em think that...we'll have great stories to tell our kids and grandkids about this time in history.

Yes, Oozeboss, they probably all think we're daggy losers but, hey, let 'em think that...we'll have great stories to tell our kids and grandkids about this time in history.

It's so true.

I remember one of the NEAFL games last year in Canberra, and it's quarter time, and I'm at the gate thinking, will I won't I? and a couple of blokes are walking out, and I follow them, and we all look at each other, and we're all wondering: is this allowed?

Yes - it was - we were like kids in the lolly shop!!

We're about to go out and listen to Sheeds for christ's sake!!

Izzy wasn't playing in this game, but he was standing there trying to soak it all up, still learning the positions, team rules, the lingo, etc, etc, and you could just stand next to him, and listen in.

Everything GWS does is about changing perceptions and the true inherent beauty of a new club in our game, and sometimes it's really difficult to even remotely accurately convey that to people comfortably ensconsed in the AFL heartland. It's like watching a mighty predator emerging from its egg in that it's basically helpless & seemingly hopeless right now, but give it a couple of pre-seasons and a few hard lessons in life and - !*SHAZZAM*! - it's top of the food chain. (And not just on the paddock.)

I enjoy catching the UWS games just to see the young blokes having a crack and continuing their footy evolution. I was all set to go to this week's game, but Wagga Wagga might just be a tad far.

The 'Big Picture' is fantastic and this is due to the attention to the minor detailing. From the number 1 GWS player to the UWS weekend Top-ups who are given the opportunity to play NEAFL thru the GWS Academy, I love watching this Club do it's business. I happy to be a Member and glad to be a part of this Club as it develops. Their grass roots vision is something to be admired and it cannot be understated, the impact they are having in Greater Western Sydney - particularly in the developing southwestern area. Well done Giants!

The 'Big Picture' is fantastic and this is due to the attention to the minor detailing. From the number 1 GWS player to the UWS weekend Top-ups who are given the opportunity to play NEAFL thru the GWS Academy, I love watching this Club do it's business. I happy to be a Member and glad to be a part of this Club as it develops. Their grass roots vision is something to be admired and it cannot be understated, the impact they are having in Greater Western Sydney - particularly in the developing southwestern area. Well done Giants!

100% agreement, & when i am out & about i talk it up. lets build it & get more & more people involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will someone let us know where the SH Eagles/UWS top-ups go for training - do they train with the Eagles or with UWS ?

not 100% sure but i think here is how it goes. top ups dont all come from sh eagles ,so top ups train with there clubs,campbelltown, hills etc.
all uws players that are gws listed train in the morning on diferent days depending where the weekends games are & which day.
topup & list players i think come together on match day.
i hope this helps.

not 100% sure but i think here is how it goes. top ups dont all come from sh eagles ,so top ups train with there clubs,campbelltown, hills etc.
all uws players that are gws listed train in the morning on diferent days depending where the weekends games are & which day.
topup & list players i think come together on match day.
i hope this helps.

That sounds about right - shows that it can be a difficult exercise to get these sorts of teams to gel on match day. The old VFL reserves used to be a bit similar in that you never knew where a player trying out was coming from week to week and the teams would display an extraordinary range of capability from week to week and results were unpredictable.

Bare pickings this week, I count 9 listed players

B: S.Clyne, S.Turner, J.Hombsch
HB: M.King, M.Buntine, S.Darley
C: J.Barrett, T.Golds, Z.Williams
HF: L.Hampton, T.Downie, J.Redfern
F: M.Eastman, A.Tomlinson, M.Gibbson
Foll: T.Adams, A.Phillips, S.Schulz

Int: (from) S.Elwin, I.Damme, N.Pleming, E.Hodder, T.Keogh

Ainslie at Wagga for some reason. You guys lost, but pretty close considering the lineup.

UWS 15.8 (98) Ainslie 17.9 (111)

UWS Giants

Goal Kickers: L. Hampton 4, S. Schulz 3, A. Tomlinson 3, S. Clyne , T. Keogh , M. GIBBONS , J. Barrett , M. Eastman
Best Players: T. Adams, Z. Williams, A. Tomlinson, T. Golds, L. Hampton, J. Hombsch
Ainslie

Goal Kickers: K. McGregor 4, J. Bennett 4, N. Paine 4, M. Crook 2, J. Costigan , J. Hirst , R. Tutt
Best Players: L. Highfield, D. Walker, J. Hirst, M. Crook, R. Andrews, E. Stone

Ainslie at Wagga for some reason. You guys lost, but pretty close considering the lineup.

UWS 15.8 (98) Ainslie 17.9 (111)

UWS Giants
Goal Kickers: L. Hampton 4, S. Schulz 3, A. Tomlinson 3, S. Clyne , T. Keogh , M. GIBBONS , J. Barrett , M. Eastman
Best Players: T. Adams, Z. Williams, A. Tomlinson, T. Golds, L. Hampton, J. Hombsch
Ainslie
Goal Kickers: K. McGregor 4, J. Bennett 4, N. Paine 4, M. Crook 2, J. Costigan , J. Hirst , R. Tutt
Best Players: L. Highfield, D. Walker, J. Hirst, M. Crook, R. Andrews, E. Stone

thanks grim love how you keep us newbies up with it.

From the NEAFL website:

NT Thunder 23.16 (154)
UWS Giants 10.12 (72)

UWS Giants
Goal Kickers: N. WILSON 3, R. Assan 2, S. Darley , P. Green , J. Redfern , T. Dhurrkay, A. Phillips
Best Players: A. Kennedy, A. Phillips, J. Hombsch, T. Golds, M. Whiley, S. Clifton

Information is that young Wharton, one of the GWS Academy boys sustained a season ending injury to his knee after a nasty knock whilst playing up at Darwin. Don't know what the damage is but it's not good to hear considering he is playing stronger every week. Stuart Turner turned 18 on the Saturday - what a great way to spend your birthday. From what I heard he played very well. I watched a bit of the live stream footage on the NT Thunder U-Tube link and I was pretty impressed with the 'tenatious' young Green from C'Town. He's like a terrier. Can't believe the Academy didn't pick him up this year. Nevermind, with the amount of game time he is getting at present he will continue to improve. As far as the NT Top-ups we were given, from what I saw I wasn't really impressed. I'll say no more on that.;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back