2nds UWS Giants - GWS NEAFL (reserves) team 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Elimination Final – Eastlake vs UWS Giants – 2:00pm, Saturday 24 August, Dairy Farmers

UWS Giants
B: 13. Sam Darley 48. Sam Frost 21. Matt Buntine
HB: 38. Stephen Gilham 47. Josh Bruce 22. Shaun Edwards
C: 15. Tim Golds 30. Lachlan Plowman 42. Mark Whiley
HF: 32. Gerald Ugle 49. Joe Redfern 46. Bret Thornton
F: 41. Josh Growden 37. Setanta O’hAilpin 36. James Stewart
Rucks: 44. Tom Downie 25. Anthony Miles 45. Sam Schulz
Inter (from): Matt Eastman Joshua Rodman Jeremy Finlayson
Jake Barrett

The boys had a solid win, onto the semi now.

UWS 15.16.106 d Eastlake 9.10.64

Best: Schulz, Miles, Bruce, Downie

The UWS GIANTS will play Ainslie in the first semi-final of the NEAFL this Saturday after defeating Eastlake by 42 points at Dairy Farmers Park. In a tough and physical encounter, the GIANTS kept the home side to just one goal in the first half of their sudden death elimination final. The GIANTS extended their lead to 75 points at three quarter time before Eastlake fought back late in the match to bring the final margin back to seven goals. GIANTS coach Brett Hand says he was impressed with how his side performed in their first finals appearance. “We wasted some opportunities early in the match but I was pleased with how Tom Downie gave our midfielders first use of the ball and how we handled the physical pressure that Eastlake applied,” said Hand. “I couldn’t have asked for more in terms of our effort, work rate and our ability to maintain our focus and composure on winning the footy all day." Small forward Gerald Ugle kicked four goals while Setanta O’hAilpin was often double teamed but still managed to kick three goals. Sam Schultz and Anthony Miles continued their good form in the midfield while Stephen Gilham and Josh Bruce also played well in defence. The UWS GIANTS play Ainslie at O'Connor Oval, Canberra this Saturday, August 31 at 11.45am.

Eastlake 9.10.64
UWS GIANTS 15.16.106
Goal Kickers: Ugle 4, O'hAilpin 3, Stewart 2, Barrett 2, Gilham , Redfern , Thornton , Edwards
Best Players: Schulz, Miles, Gilham, Downie, Bruce, Ugle

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-08-26/uws-giants-neafl-triumph

Semi-Final 1 – Ainslie vs. UWS Giants – 11:45am, Saturday 31 August, Ainslie Oval

UWS Giants
B: 13. Sam Darley 48. Sam Frost 21. Jeremy Finlayson
HB: 2. Jake Barrett 47. Josh Bruce 19. Nick Haynes
C: 15. Tim Golds 30. Lachlan Plowman 14. Tom Bugg
HF: 32. Gerald Ugle 49. Tim Barrett 46. Bret Thornton
F: 23. Joshua Rodman 37. Setanta O’hAilpin 6. Matt Eastman
Rucks: 44. Tom Downie 25. Anthony Miles 45. Sam Schulz
Inter (from): Jack Dimery, Michael Mattingly 33. Zac Johns
5. Taran Etto

A few more topups than last week with the senior injuries/rests.

I've also heard they're looking at Dimery as a possible rookie, he'd be 20 or 21yo, plays off half back. Local junior from Baulkham Hill/Sydney Hills Eagles.

A few more topups than last week with the senior injuries/rests.

I've also heard they're looking at Dimery as a possible rookie, he'd be 20 or 21yo, plays off half back. Local junior from Baulkham Hill/Sydney Hills Eagles.

Hopefully we will use our rookie list to give a go to a few locals like Dimery, also would think the success of Rampe at the swans has made us more likely to give some guys in there early 20s a chance.

@NEAFL_Eastern: 1/2 time and a strong qtr by @ainslie_fc has seen them stretch their lead to 38 points, 9.7-61 to @GWS_Giants 3.5-23 #NEAFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soundly beaten in the end.

@NEAFL_Eastern: Full time and @ainslie_fc have ran out convincing winners, 15.13-103 to @GWS_Giants 5.11-41 #NEAFL

And the final match report for the year

An undermanned UWS GIANTS have bowed out of the NEAFL finals following a 64-point loss to Ainslie in the first semi final in Canberra. Due to an extensive injury list, the GIANTS had only 12 AFL listed players take to the field and were forced to play the match with only 20 players. UWS GIANTS coach Brett Hand says despite the loss, he was impressed with the character the players showed. “I was really pleased with how our guys stuck at it all day and fought it out,” said Hand. “With only two players on the bench, our rotations really suffered but I couldn’t have asked any more of the players we had available. “The eight players we brought up from the Slater & Gordon GIANTS Academy gave it everything and are looking promising for the future,” he said. Midfielder Tim Golds finished the season on a strong note, playing his best match of the season while Sam Schultz and Lachie Plowman continued their good form in the midfield. Sam Darley provided plenty of run from defence while Sam Frost also played well in the backline. The loss sees the GIANTS finish the NEAFL season fourth on the ladder, and Hand says there are plenty of positives to take out of the season. “A loss like that does leave a bit of a sour taste in your mouth but the boys were competitive right until the end, and have come a long way this season,” said Hand. “The finals experience they’ve got in the last two weeks will help them in years to come as they continue to grow with the GIANTS.”
AINSLIE 15.15.105 UWS GIANTS 5.11.41

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-09-02/uws-bow-out

Plowman in the centre?

How is Plowman progressing??

From what I saw of him he looked big and strong enough but seemed a bit positionally naïve at times and prone to clangers.

I know it's easy to say but we did overspend on him with pick 3, sure we were deficient in key backs but IMHO picks 1-5 are for mids or kpf's. Most defenders are manufactured anyway. I know he was an outstanding junior and highly rated but I reckon we panicked. An Ollie Wines would have been much more useful. Again only my opinion, hope in time he proves me wrong (like Haynes has!).

Oh well, at least we've got a good excuse
In addition to the lack of listed players and half a bench, one of the top ups (Eastman) ended up in hospital with rib damage apparently.

Bizarre close to the season after we had such a good run leading into the finals having so many listed players available. Guess it was bound to happen as the AFL season wound down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back