2nds UWS GIANTS - NEAFL 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
The UWS GIANTS will kick off their 2014 NEAFL campaign against NT Thunder in Darwin. The NEAFL fixture was released on Friday and 2014 will be the first year the revised 14-team competition will play on a single ladder and finals series system. The season will commence on March 29 and consist of 21 rounds played over 22 weeks, with each club playing 18 matches. After making the semi-finals in 2013, the UWS GIANTS will open the season against NT Thunder under lights at Darwin’s TIO Stadium on March 29. They will then play at home for the first time against the Sydney Swans reserves as a curtain-raiser to the senior side’s clash with Melbourne at GIANTS Stadium on April 6.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-12-09/2014-neafl-fixture

UWS GIANTS 2014 Fixture

Round Date Opponent Venue Time
1 29 March NT Thunder TIO Stadium 7.00pm
2 6 April Sydney Swans reserves GIANTS Stadium 9.30am
3 12 April Belconnen Kippax Oval 12.00pm
4 BYE
5 26 April Gold Coast reserves Metricon 9.50am
6 3 May Ainslie Robertson Oval 12.00pm
7 9 May Sydney Swans reserves ANZ Stadium 4.10pm
8 BYE
9 25 May Gold Coast reserves Metricon 11.30am
10 1 June Eastlake StarTrack Oval, Canberra 12.00pm
11 7 June NT Thunder GIANTS Stadium 4.00pm
12 14 June Brisbane Lions reserves Coorparoo 1.30pm
13 28 June Sydney Swans reserves SCG 4.00pm
14 5 July Brisbane Lions reserves GIANTS Stadium 10.30am
15 13 July Gold Coast reserves BISP 12.00pm
16 19 July Sydney University GIANTS Stadium 4.00pm
17 BYE
18 2 August Hills Eagles BISP 12.00pm
19 9 August Queanbeyan Dairy Farmers Park 10.00am
20 16 August Sydney Swans reserves SCG 10.00am
21 23 August Brisbane Lions reserves GIANTS Stadium 1.00pm

UWS GIANTS v ACT Under-23

Saturday March 1, 11.30am
Ainslie Oval, Canberra

TEAM:

13. Tom Boyd 15. Tim Golds 16. Nathan Wilson 24. Jono O’Rourke 25. Cam McCarthy 27. Andrew Phillips 28. Liam Sumner 29. Zac Williams 33. Will Hoskin-Elliott 34, Kristian Jaksch 35. Aidan Corr 36. James Stewart 37. Rory Lobb 38. Stephen Gilham 42. Mark Whiley 43. Jake Barrett 44. Tom Downie Sam Reid Michael Mattingly (Wagga) Darcy Spinks (ACT) Jeremy Finlayson (NSW)

can anybody tell us victorians how strong this league is?
just a general idea if you know vic footy,maybe a comparison.

In terms if strength of 2nd tier leagues it's goes

Sanfl, vfl, wafl

Daylight

Neafl

And up until last year, NEAFL North >>> NEAFL East on top of that.

It's all been restructured now, so that the four AFL clubs and a handful of "selected" other clubs have been picked out to take part with the others returning to an intrastate league. It should improve the standard for the AFL clubs because they play each other more often, while also giving the Sydney clubs more games against the stronger Queensland and NT clubs. In theory it should also push the non-AFL clubs to improve themselves.

And up until last year, NEAFL North >>> NEAFL East on top of that.

It's all been restructured now, so that the four AFL clubs and a handful of "selected" other clubs have been picked out to take part with the others returning to an intrastate league. It should improve the standard for the AFL clubs because they play each other more often, while also giving the Sydney clubs more games against the stronger Queensland and NT clubs. In theory it should also push the non-AFL clubs to improve themselves.

With the exception of NT Thunder and the AFL Reserves, UWS still playing Eastern conf teams. Who else came down from North?

With the exception of NT Thunder and the AFL Reserves, UWS still playing Eastern conf teams. Who else came down from North?

There you go. I thought they were going to have a fair draw and have everyone play everyone else, but it looks like they're still interested in minimizing travel costs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

UWS 13.7.85 def ACT U23s 8.10.58

Goals (from what I saw on Twitter): Boyd 3, Stewart 2, Lobb 2, Downie, Sumner, Whiley, others 3

Is 3 enough I wonder? . I would have thought he would have kicked more in the twos. Do you know how long he played ?
I'm assuming he played a fairly normal amount of game time as it was 22-a-side. We only kicked 13 goals as a side, so not knowing how he played within the forward structure I don't think its a bad tally. It'll be interesting to see if he gets a run against Adelaide next week as a test to see whether he gets a spot in round one. For me, Patton's ahead of where I thought he'd be and looking like he'll be in for round one. Depending on his fitness he and Boyd may have their workloads managed and job-share this season.

Boyd is hopeful of playing against Adelaide. I expect he will - he rucked a bit apparently yesterday and I would think they will rest Mummy. He will have to tear it up to play round one though.

From Realfooty:

No. 1 draft pick Tom Boyd showed enough in his first game for GWS to suggest he's ready to make his AFL debut in the season-opening derby with the Sydney Swans.

The powerfully built 18-year-old kicked three goals and demonstrated his versatility with a stint in the ruck in the GWS reserves' 27-point win over the ACT at Ainslie Oval on Saturday.

Boyd is hoping to get the green light for a practice match against Adelaide next Friday at Blacktown.

A strong performance there would have him on track to take on the Swans at Spotless Stadium on March 15.

Advertisement
''I thought I put a pretty good case forward to hopefully get a game next week, but it's all about where the coaches think I'm at,'' Boyd said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ws-reserves-20140301-33t00.html#ixzz2ukCEbCkG

Was at the game at Ainslie Oval on Saturday against ACT u-23's.
Aidan Corr and Jake Barrett both looked very comfortable, impressed with both.
James Stewart, Rory Lobb and Cam MacCarthy also look like keepers. There could be a lot of upside with these guys, once they're bodies are right for AFL.
On this showing, Gilham will struggle to get back in the Seniors.
Williams was just OK, but O'Rourke (at last) showed a bit. Sumner, Jaksch, Boyd and Downie had good moments.

James Stewart, Rory Lobb and Cam MacCarthy also look like keepers. There could be a lot of upside with these guys, once they're bodies are right for AFL.
Williams was just OK, but O'Rourke (at last) showed a bit. Sumner, Jaksch, Boyd and Downie had good moments.

While Gilham doesn't have the same title as Reid it does seem likely he will have the same role of permanent playing coach in the neafl and thats fine as long as having him in the neafl does actually aid the development of our kids

Great first posy, GWG! Interesting observation on Gilham and am not totally surprised. Key defence is an area we will get exposed but we may as well do it with an eye to the future. Barrett looked ok in what I saw of the intraclub as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back