2nds UWS GIANTS - NEAFL 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Not a good game, particularly after quarter time!

Saw a lot of the top squad there and geez, talk about walking wounded. Zac Williams in a moon boot and crutches, Whitfield on crutches. Kennedy with arm in sling. Not sure what's up with Buntine, but he was on crutches. Phillips also spotted on crutches.

I think my previous post still holds true, even the coach wants to strangle the shite out of these losers

Last edited:
Final match report
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2014-09-08/uws-giants-bow-out

The UWS GIANTS have fallen one step short of a spot in the NEAFL Grand Final, going down to Aspley by 45-points in a preliminary final at Blacktown International Sportspark.

The GIANTS led by five points at the first break before being over run the Hornets, with the visitors winning 16.16.112 to 10.7.67.

UWS GIANTS coach Brett Hand said it was a disappointing way to finish the season.

“We couldn’t get our hands on the ball early and we were in the game but probably didn’t deserve to be at quarter time and it showed the dominance they had to run away with it” said Hand.

“We had no connection between our midfield and our forwards for most of the day.

"We worked hard to get the ball, but we couldn’t get it out of our back line and we struggled to find targets and we went back into our shells and didn’t play the way we wanted to."

Nathan Wilson, Cam McCarthy, Jon Giles and Jacob Townsend were all among the GIANTS best, but rookie listed GIANT Sam Schulz came in for special mention from Hand.

"Sam Schulz had a really interrupted year injury wise but stood up against (Aspley forward Eddie) Sansbury and then went on the ball in the last half and stood up for us."

The UWS GIANTS finished the regular season on top of the NEAFL ladder with 15 wins from 18 games in their most consistent season to date.

Despite the disappointing end to the season, Hand said there was plenty of good signs throughout the season that will be taken into 2015.

“We’ve grown as a whole footy club and the way we’ve played in the NEAFL is a really good example of that. Players have come back and played their role and then gone up and played good senior footy.

“The pressure is on now to get AFL spots and if you don’t perform in the NEAFL then you don’t get a game in the AFL .

"To hold that standard for the majority of the year was pleasing and to win 11 of our last 13 games is a really good effort and the consistency in performance has been a real highlight,” he said.

Aspley will host the NEAFL Grand Final this Saturday against the Sydney Swans reserves.

I was impressed by Finlayson.

Anyone know anything about Darcy Spinks? Guys sitting behind us gave him a nickname (actually two nicknames) and instant cult status just based on appearance. While we helped identify our listed players for them (including Adam Tomlinson as runner) we couldn't assist with the top ups.

Last edited:
I was impressed by Finlayson.

Anyone know anything about Darcy Spinks? Guys sitting behind us gave him a nickname (actually two nicknames) and instant cult status just based on appearance. While we helped identify our listed players for them (including Adam Tomlinson as runner) we couldn't assist with the top ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh the old Tooleybuc-Managatang Saints Football and Netball club... (ok, I had to look them up) what a name though, just rolls off the tongue. Though I must admit to being a little disappointed to see that the green and gold of the Bucs was completely lost in the so-called "merger" with the Manangatang Saints given that Tooleybuc was 11 years older than Manangatang.

Also love the Nyah Nyah West United name - sounds like a school yard taunt.

Ahh the old Tooleybuc-Managatang Saints Football and Netball club... (ok, I had to look them up) what a name though, just rolls off the tongue. Though I must admit to being a little disappointed to see that the green and gold of the Bucs was completely lost in the so-called "merger" with the Manangatang Saints given that Tooleybuc was 11 years older than Manangatang.

Also love the Nyah Nyah West United name - sounds like a school yard taunt.

They tell me kerang tooleybuc Swanhill would compete in the top 3 of the Neafl and kerang would maybe playoff in the granny , sounds like a strong league, lot of afl players in there line ups. With only 250'000 budgets per club not a hand out from sporting clubs, good luck to them.Sports up date, jolly Gilbee giannseracusa and two others playing for Balranald 2015 live next door to rievolt what's next, who knows??

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back