v Hawthorn Round 14

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
ablettjnr said:
He is a joke, but i have a soft spot for him, being a former member of my school.

I wouldn't say he's a joke.He can play.His selection each week is joke.Give him a month in the magoos and then maybe bring him back if form warrants it.

His constant senior selection is starting to have Geelong fans turn on him [me being one].

Callan would've played played 50 games if got anywhere near the amount of chances Charlie has had.

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
JUBJUB said:
Callan would've played played 50 games if got anywhere near the amount of chances Charlie has had.

That's the disappointing thing. Callan has to work his arse off to even get considered while Gardiner is now an automatic inclusion despite not establishing himself even though he's nearing 50 games. Clear favouritism and that's what I'm getting disillusioned with, the obvious bias from the coaching staff and this is evident at the selection table and on game days.

The bloke I feel for is Cameron Thurley. 7.0 from 4 games and most of those 4 were spent on the bench while Gardiner has kicked 2 goals for the year. I know they are different players, but I'd love to see the return from Thurls if he got the chances Charlie has had.

Sep 22, 2000
Calling Wambulances for the Geelong whiners
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ford
Catman said:
The bloke I feel for is Cameron Thurley. 7.0 from 4 games and most of those 4 were spent on the bench while Gardiner has kicked 2 goals for the year.

An interesting point you bring up.Thurley did spend a lot of time on the bench,yet Charlie doesn't seem to get benched much.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Catman said:
That's the disappointing thing. Callan has to work his arse off to even get considered while Gardiner is now an automatic inclusion despite not establishing himself even though he's nearing 50 games. Clear favouritism and that's what I'm getting disillusioned with, the obvious bias from the coaching staff and this is evident at the selection table and on game days.

The bloke I feel for is Cameron Thurley. 7.0 from 4 games and most of those 4 were spent on the bench while Gardiner has kicked 2 goals for the year. I know they are different players, but I'd love to see the return from Thurls if he got the chances Charlie has had.

Spot on. It seems that every year there is a young player or two who have to absolutely battle for a senior game, and are always the "first one dropped" so to speak. I remember it was Hunt for a while, and probably up until this year David Johnson. Seems like Callan has that spot now. Of course the flipside are the coach's favourites - and I reckon Gardiner, Tenace and Mackie are 3 of them at present.

By the way I'm a fan of all 3 of these guys - Tenace has so much pure talent I'm just waiting for him to fire - but none have done much this season and guys like Callan, Thurley, Lonergan and Haynes are at least producing form in the seconds.

I think at times the selectors put in players, hoping they will in return play very well. Lonergon in a few weeks ago was a suprise to most and i think they are playing Gardiner hoping he will turn good. I saw he needs to do it the hardway, look at McCarthey for instance. I think he could have made it into the team last week and I was sure he would of taken gardiners spot...

jmain14

Club Legend
May 20, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
cats2rise said:
I think at times the selectors put in players, hoping they will in return play very well.
of course they hope they will play well, and so do I. if they weren't to hope that they play well I'd be very worried...

jmain14 said:
of course they hope they will play well, and so do I. if they weren't to hope that they play well I'd be very worried...
lol yeah i meant in Gardiners case, they havnt shown much form but hoping they can play well on the big stage. played ok against hawks, unfortunatly cant see him being dropped this week

Back