Status
Not open for further replies.

dosser

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
this. None of these young men deserve snide comments from the likes of us. For sure player A might be better for us than player B but that doesn't mean B is "crap" or "rubbish". He might need to work on something to improve or he might need an operation. We mostly don't know these things.
An example: my family knows James Bell's family. He is an excellent young man from a good family who tries his heart out week in and week out. I am sick to death of the rubbish thrown out on this site about him.
Pathetic.
Thank you, KC. It says more about the actual poster instead of the player when this happens. To say a particular player may not make it is one thing, however every one of them has already achieved more than most of us on the footy field and simply don't deserve the vitriol that can be found in here.
Every one of them are trying as hard as they can and are painfully aware of their failures already. The last thing they need is for people with less ability than them criticising them for not being able to do something that none of us are able to do.
I know it can be difficult when supporters are emotional, but these guys are human beings as well.
Sorry for the rant, but I have been a part of the AFL system and I wanted to speak up.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Is it somewhat accurate

I think I read somewhere that it's roughly as accurate as tipping the favourite every game. It's just a way of seeing how each team is going.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
The further right a team is, the better defence they have.

The higher up a team is, the better attack they have.

Norf are at the bottom left because they are bad.
The Magpies one on the Squiggle is just as funny. Talk about going nowhere fast.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
When everyone's finished watching the replay for the 5th time I suggest for a little light humour you head over to see how Richmond's match day thread unfolded. The first 5 pages are all cocky strutting, predicting a big win and rubbishing Swans or individual Swans players. The next 5 pages are a bitchfest, blaming the umpiring. At about 10 pages in the reality starts to dawn on them that we're just a far better team. From then on it's another 50 pages of meltdown that takes in almost all the stages of grief.

I guess there are a lot of band-wagoners who have only known the Richmond of 2017-2020. Those who remember the Richmond of nearly 40 years in the wilderness must be feeling the first tingle of déja-vu. Of course even in their fall there'll be glimpses of former glory on the way down, heck they might even make it to another GF this year, but few coaches have the skills to take a team to multiple GFs over a 5 year period then rebuild an entirely new team with a completely new game plan over the space of a few years.

Over the coming years Swans fans will be looking forward to plenty of GF opportunities while Richmond fans will only be looking back at former glory. I think they can smell the storm coming.

Guys I'm only going to say this once, if you go over to other boards, It's their mods, their rules.

We're not going to turn this thread into a place to whinge about how other forums are moderated. Full stop.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
The Magpies one on the Squiggle is just as funny. Talk about going nowhere fast.

It's actually a pretty fair reflection of how each team is going, Geelong went backwards the most because they lost to Adelaide who were last year's wooden spooners, our attacking rating went up after beating the Tigers, etc

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
It's actually a pretty fair reflection of how each team is going, Geelong went backwards the most because they lost to Adelaide who were last year's wooden spooners, our attacking rating went up after beating the Tigers, etc
It's a fair bit of fun to follow as the year progresses. Also, I like starting at round one and then clicking through the rounds watching the Swans progress across the page.

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Don’t write Richmond off.
While I'm not writing off Richmond, I do feel our win against them is different from Hawthorn's win last year and GWS's the year before. The difference is we came in a did exactly what we did the last 2 games, Richmond wasn't surprised by us, it wasn't unexpected, we just came in and did what we had to.

Richmond definitely had a down game, but they weren't any better the past 2 games, we were able to do what Hawthorn and Carlton couldn't, win against a team not playing at 100%.

Mar 11, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool, Patriots & UConn
Richmond have won flags by performing at the right time of the season. It's impossible to write them off this early into the season with only one loss. Realistically, it will only be safe to write them off after they have been knocked out of the finals. Think Hawthorn in 2016, I think you could probably argue the writing was on the wall for the end of the Hawks dominance - but it was only after they were knocked out by the Dogs it was safe to rule them out.

Would someone mind explaining the squiggles
Short version: A program that rates a team based on how much they score and restrict their opposition scoring.

Basically the more up you are on the grid the more you score, the more to the right the better you restrict your opposition. The cups on the grid represent how each of the 20 or so most recent premiers were (Geelong and Hawthorn being very high up but 05 and 12 Swans not as high, but further to the right). Based on your recent games, the program predicts the score of the game. Once the game happens the program re-aligns where you are on the grid. For example going into Round 3 they program predicted Richmond to win with 98 - 61. However they lost 71 - 117. Since we scored significantly more than 71 we moved a lot more up and because we stopped Richmond from scoring 98, we also moved to the right.

The program then predicts the entire season based on where everyone currently sits on the grid and adjusts after each round. It's interesting to see how the season unfolds and where any potential growth occurs in a season or to see how much teams are struggling. Looking back on past seasons with it is really fun.

It tips reasonably well and often shows what teams might be on the up in the following season or on the decline (it had us doing well in the back end of 2011 leading into 2012 and thought Freo were crap in 2015 before they fell off being a top side)

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has described Sydney's win over his side as "Richmond-like",

The Swans set up, played and won like the Swans not like the Tigers.
haha.. piss off Hardwick you condescending *********, and enjoy the slide..

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has described Sydney's win over his side as "Richmond-like",

It was Bloods-esque, piss off Dimma.

Stephens needs to get game time, or his mind might start wandering home
You ever been to the RedCliffs IGA?? Not muchgoing on there mate...

Really not as big an issue... Radelaideis much closer than Melb clubs anyway. Just as easy to REX it to Sydney anyway. And Power/crows can't fit him anyway.

Bandit55

Senior List
Apr 1, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
You ever been to the RedCliffs IGA?? Not muchgoing on there mate...

Really not as big an issue... Radelaideis much closer than Melb clubs anyway. Just as easy to REX it to Sydney anyway. And Power/crows can't fit him anyway.

I’ve been to the Civic Centre all the action happens there. Dragon played there back in the 70s and the crowd rioted.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham

If anything our win was more hawthorn 2012-2016 not Richmond. Of course Hardwick would make our success all about him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back