Autopsy v Richmond - Swans win by 45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching that replay, in the 2nd quarter that Blakey poster could have been one of the best long running goals I have seen in years. He looked so casual when running and no one was catching him

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
But that also must come from having confident players around him, having faith in the team around him ... it's not like he was crap from the off, he obviously had considerable skills and ability, but he must've lost a lot of self-belief in the past few seasons with things going wrong all over the field, mistakes, breaking down under pressure, different game style ... to have the confidence to know now that someone will be on the receiving end, in the right position, will hold that mark, rather than be pressured into more mistakes, that then have a domino effect on players' confidence in their skills, etc ... and as i've posted earlier, the more this group stay together and keep playing this way, keep building faith and confidence in each other, the better the individuals and the team will be ...
Great post.

JZ_Skitzo

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Seahawks
Just watching that replay, in the 2nd quarter that Blakey poster could have been one of the best long running goals I have seen in years. He looked so casual when running and no one was catching him

He's pretty quick when he's at full throttle. I had a great view from behind when he tried to evade two Richmond players and almost got through. As soon as he got the ball he covered 10m in the blink of an eye.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
This really is the big story. Where the f*** did our new-found accuracy come from?

I keep having to scratch myself. The Sydney Swans??!! Accurate??!!

Whichever coach is responsible for it, sign them up for a hundred years.

Space. A ruckman hitting to advantage.

A couple of extra marking forwards (Heeney, Logan, and McLean).

An influx of talent (Gulden and Campbell).

A couple of rule changes.

There’s just that extra half second that allows Florent, Warner etc show their skills.

It will be interesting to see what someone like a Bell can do now with that extra time. Or Ling, a precise kick already.

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
How good is it having Parks and JPK doing their thing now they have the luxury of Mills to act as the safety net.
Slight modification to Josh’s role seems to have him playing more to instinct and lessening the times his lack of speed leaves us exposed... and Luke back throwing his weight around like a Pitbull at full throttle... loving it!
Rampe down back still struggling a little as we refine and put the finishing touches on our defensive group but McCartin getting the job done on the opponent’s heavy artillery certainly eases that pressure. Tom’s composure is something to behold... and as a novice key defender, I’m really keen to see his niggle blossom. Interesting to watch Harry and Jake gritting their teeth to execute their roles and maintain the standards being set by our swarming youth lol. Seeing enough of Braeden, but would love to see him up the ground for a bit as it must be draining for him in that defensive cauldron. And how reassuring is it to see Jordan take the ball for a kick in when the pressure has been mounting? Actually been quite a while since we haven’t had to endure repeat entries into our D50.
Warner... excitement machine!
Florent... it’s a big call but starting to look Burgoynesque?
And if Blakey doesn’t hit the post, it’s a contender for goal of the year. Yeah yeah... he gets a bit over excited at times and maybe tries too hard but he’ll do me in our best 22 every week.
3 goals to Wicksy couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke. Love his determination and intensity... big pay rise coming for the young man you would think. Heeney ever-threatening... Paps, the mongrel bitza that never stops barking, and Logan gently running in the Rolls Royce.
Hickey’s ruck work and understanding with our mids continues to grow and his expression after kicking his second (never looked like missing from the tight angle)... yes Tommy... all swans are loving life atm.
The cherry?
7 kids got their first taste of senior footy at the G and were untroubled in giving the defending premiers a good flogging

We didn't beat them at their own game. We beat them with our game.

Harwick can do one. Drinking his own bathwater.
Prestia and Cotchin out now, they are done. Won't be a factor this year. The new rules have done in their zone, and Hardwick the genius is seemingly last to realise what's happening. Even the Dons have figured it out.

Fair enough mikey, but I think it actually sells ourselves short to not acknowledge that Richmond are a great side that we obviously did a lot of homework on to be able to nullify them. They have been the benchmark for team-wide pressure and work rate, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we studied their blueprint to use it against them.

Hayden McLean
Mark of the Week

The Chad - Goal of the Week

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
To those defending Hardwick (C88, Bonz.....)
I apologise for calling Hardwick a condescending *******. It was in the heat of the moment and my wife was pulled me up telling I was wrong. Ive apologised to Damien and he's taken it as well as he could.

Bulls***.. What he said is condescending! We are the Swans,,, We played like the Swans. just as there are 17 other teams who play like themselves.
I have to agree.
I have no interest in playing the game of putting Richmond on a pedestal. I remember what they were like before this run and they will be like that again soon enough.

The Swans are here to play bloods football 2021 style.
We’re not following anyone.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
We didn't beat them at their own game. We beat them with our game.

Harwick can do one. Drinking his own bathwater.
Prestia and Cotchin out now, they are done. Won't be a factor this year. The new rules have done in their zone, and Hardwick the genius is seemingly last to realise what's happening. Even the Dons have figured it out.
Hahaha love this.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
This really is the big story. Where the f*** did our new-found accuracy come from?

I keep having to scratch myself. The Sydney Swans??!! Accurate??!!

Whichever coach is responsible for it, sign them up for a hundred years.
First you develop a plan that doesn’t involve kicking it long down the line. Then you practice the plan. Then you play it.

The truth is, most of these kicks are short and easy to execute. The key is that the swans are relaxed. They know what the strategy is and all they have to do is play their part.

Don Pyke is a genius.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Warner is a better player now than zak jones ever was or will ... i get the thing about hardness but jones also played with that macho dumbness that i think affected whatever skills he had ...
Part of that is set up too.
Often Jones was turning, then accelerating, so often got caught. His positioning not A1, the ball coming out behind him.
Contrast to Warner's goal. JPK pokes the ball IN FRONT OF HIM. Hits it at speed. Clean pick up (skill!) and runs through a strong tackle with power from his speed.
Without the little poke from Josh to advantage we get nothing.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Fair enough mikey, but I think it actually sells ourselves short to not acknowledge that Richmond are a great side that we obviously did a lot of homework on to be able to nullify them. They have been the benchmark for team-wide pressure and work rate, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if we studied their blueprint to use it against them.
Seeing the analysis on how we blunted Dusty was really eye-opening.
JPK and Parky bumping him away from the ball at centre bounces. Not a hard tag, getting between him and where he wants to be and making a handball to him much riskier. Then George the magnet when he goes forward. Again, not a hard tag, just a solid defensive cover.
Sure he picked up 20 possessions but his effectiveness was slashed. He was tired too from the constant attention.
Great analysis and terrific execution.

Seeing the analysis on how we blunted Dusty was really eye-opening.
JPK and Parky bumping him away from the ball at centre bounces. Not a hard tag, getting between him and where he wants to be and making a handball to him much riskier. Then George the magnet when he goes forward. Again, not a hard tag, just a solid defensive cover.
Sure he picked up 20 possessions but his effectiveness was slashed. He was tired too from the constant attention.
Great analysis and terrific execution.
We exploited his allowance to not run defensively. I think I saw him kick to a player that marked it cleanly about 3 times

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
We exploited his allowance to not run defensively. I think I saw him kick to a player that marked it cleanly about 3 times
This is going to give Dimma headaches for a while. For sure the Port analysts will have noted how it was done and they certainly have the cattle to do it just as well as we did. They may have to start Dusty away from the centre. 👏👏👏👏

To those defending Hardwick (C88, Bonz.....)
I apologise for calling Hardwick a condescending *******. It was in the heat of the moment and my wife was pulled me up telling I was wrong. Ive apologised to Damien and he's taken it as well as he could.

Bulls***.. What he said is condescending! We are the Swans,,, We played like the Swans. just as there are 17 other teams who play like themselves.

It was definitely condescending and intended to be so. He was salty that they'd just been flogged so thought he'd be smart and say "Well done Swans, you played as well as we do at our game". Piss off flog.

People thinking it's fair play from him are nuts.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I saw the Hardwick thing differently I think?

The comment about being Richmond like was after about a minute or so of talking about how good we were. He also said SOME of it was Richmond like and followed up with talk about forward half turnover and pressure being strong, which have been hallmarks of Richmond. It was also I think the third question posed to him, he didn’t come out of the blocks and go “oh wow, I just felt like we played Richmond”.

I am not defending Hardwick, I couldn’t care less about him, but I just didn’t find it condescending on first listen or again now trying to workout why people are upset.

I saw the Hardwick thing differently I think?

The comment about being Richmond like was after about a minute or so of talking about how good we were. He also said SOME of it was Richmond like and followed up with talk about forward half turnover and pressure being strong, which have been hallmarks of Richmond. It was also I think the third question posed to him, he didn’t come out of the blocks and go “oh wow, I just felt like we played Richmond”.

I am not defending Hardwick, I couldn’t care less about him, but I just didn’t find it condescending on first listen or again now trying to workout why people are upset.
He was also talking about how we were getting from contest to contest working hard

He was also talking about how we were getting from contest to contest working hard

Which as everyone knows was invented by Richmond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back