VAFA General Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is interesting for VAFA in that the number of teams in the Divisions needs a review. Any chance of others wanting to come to VAFA (or even VAFA accepting them?)
Thanks for showing some interest in a matter that has been canvassed here before. The clubs are Cerberus, Carrum and Frankston I'm told. They probably have more of a connection with the Peninsula than the VAFA, location wise. And being surrounded by clubs that pay players I guess the fear a Bentleigh scenario, who lost a lot of players to surrounding paying clubs when the gave the VAFA a go, might deter them.

Found it a bit of an oddity at first also but don't really see the need to come out against old boy clubs having womens teams if they have the resources to do so. How many school clubs actually have it as a rule that you need to have been a student to play there? Plus with the severe lack of VAFA 'old girl' clubs we would be basically forcing girls who want to play to a select group of clubs going along that line of thinking
Name the women’s teams which are “stand alone”?

Answer: there are two out of nearly 70 (inc. reserves), being RMIT and Melbourne Cricket Club. All the rest are either directly linked to a suburban, old boy or university men’s football clubs at this stage

The APS co-ed schools such as Carey, Collegians and Caulfield are fielding teams straight from their schoolgirl ranks, but it will obviously take 5-10 years to get a Firbank or MLC or Loretto/Mandeville “old girl” team coming straight from an all-girls’ school, with no male club/team alignment.

Thanks for showing some interest in a matter that has been canvassed here before. The clubs are Cerberus, Carrum and Frankston I'm told. They probably have more of a connection with the Peninsula than the VAFA, location wise. And being surrounded by clubs that pay players I guess the fear a Bentleigh scenario, who lost a lot of players to surrounding paying clubs when the gave the VAFA a go, might deter them.
Ok. So of the remaining div 3/4 clubs some others may already be looking elsewhere.

Answer: there are two out of nearly 70 (inc. reserves), being RMIT and Melbourne Cricket Club. All the rest are either directly linked to a suburban, old boy or university men’s football clubs at this stage

The APS co-ed schools such as Carey, Collegians and Caulfield are fielding teams straight from their schoolgirl ranks, but it will obviously take 5-10 years to get a Firbank or MLC or Loretto/Mandeville “old girl” team coming straight from an all-girls’ school, with no male club/team alignment.

Ahh hedge.. so how is the state of womens footy?

What are you talking about?
For example this week at TBO Old Ivanhoe and Ormond seniors and reserves play on opposite days and if going to watch their mates say on the Sunday they have to pay $15. If your in one day as a player you should be able to get in on the other day. Anything else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For example this week at TBO Old Ivanhoe and Ormond seniors and reserves play on opposite days and if going to watch their mates say on the Sunday they have to pay $15. If your in one day as a player you should be able to get in on the other day. Anything else.
Obviously don’t pay to get into the game they’re playing. So are you saying it should be as if they’re playing on the same day (even though they aren’t) and thus they don’t have to pay to watch their club mates play on another day?

So they get to use the “free pass” on both days?

That’s just totally weird.

Obviously don’t pay to get into the game they’re playing. So are you saying it should be as if they’re playing on the same day (even though they aren’t) and thus they don’t have to pay to watch their club mates play on another day?

So they get to use the “free pass” on both days?

That’s just totally weird.
They don't get a pass for the other day , it's a joke and Willy which they deserve have teams on the one day.

If they were mates then they wouldn't mind paying $15 to watch them in a final. In other comps you pay a fee at the gate so cant feel sorry here.

They don't get a pass for the other day , it's a joke and Willy which they deserve have teams on the one day.

I'm in agreement with Bedford here. It's one thing to manufacture the days the semi's are played (so it's Semi Final 1 for Seniors/Semi Final 2 for ressies on same day and vice versa), which impacts supporters having to now pay $30 to attend local footy that is free all year. It's another to ask the players who themselves pay to play the game, to then have to pay to watch their ressies/seniors team-mates.

VAFA should grant a weekend pass to the clubs to provide their players. Really quite simple.

I'm in agreement with Bedford here. It's one thing to manufacture the days the semi's are played (so it's Semi Final 1 for Seniors/Semi Final 2 for ressies on same day and vice versa), which impacts supporters having to now pay $30 to attend local footy that is free all year. It's another to ask the players who themselves pay to play the game, to then have to pay to watch their ressies/seniors team-mates.

VAFA should grant a weekend pass to the clubs to provide their players. Really quite simple.

I’m with him as well for once , this is just a money grab nothing more. Is there anywhere you can find out what the ground hire is .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Didn’t give me much of a chance to answer! So, I think we are in agreement that with the current lack of old girls teams, there shouldn’t be much fuss about old boy clubs fielding women’s teams if they wish.

What is the general requirement for Club's hosting Finals in relation to providing a canteen?
Went down the road to the DIV 4 Final on Sunday and the spread was limited to a couple hot dogs and nothing else. I know there is never much love for the Divisions but surely a good opportunity for clubs to make a bit of coin. Alot of cold hungry people standing around.

What is the general requirement for Club's hosting Finals in relation to providing a canteen?
Went down the road to the DIV 4 Final on Sunday and the spread was limited to a couple hot dogs and nothing else. I know there is never much love for the Divisions but surely a good opportunity for clubs to make a bit of coin. Alot of cold hungry people standing around.
We aren't given any specific requirements, but we have hot dogs, pies, pasties, dimmies, chips, potato cakes, salad rolls and a BBQ going pretty much all day down at the Garvey, plus the heaters on and tellies going in the rooms all day too.

Sounds like you might have been bit shortchanged

As said above, no requirements but that’s where you make the money so would be disappointing if a club put their hand up but didn’t take advantage of it.

There have been finals where the host club has been caught out by size of crowd and run out of food very early in day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back