VAFA General Discussion 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on Max. Beer is not the answer. Your numbers are spot on. As are AM’s wise words on the matter. Drink less..be your best!
Aim for 150-200 members. Get the past players involved with a past players memebership package. Only needs to be $100-200.
Get some good sponsors. Look after these sponsors by having a sponsors support booklet so that their goods and services are purchased and promoted. Have raffles. Have 2 functions a year that are about making money. Silent auctions etc.
A Committee dinner fundraiser.
Make sure players pay subs. Talk to uni’s and gyms re trainer help. Work experience type help.
Not beer and bogans on match day.
I did see Hampton Rovers held a member recruitment drive. At first I scoffed but I really do think that's the way, particularly for community clubs. So many people say they want to help their own community, but they're generally all talk. Show them how they can help the club out - put their money where their mouth is.

In saying that, I know there will inevitably be issues and I do like the fact that the VAFA is drenched with piss during games, but I feel something has got to give. A designated alcohol area from half time in the 2PM game onward with strong consideration of restrictions is something I wouldn't be against.

Do the numbers, I have said this in the past. You make $2.50 per can approx. say you sell 50 extra cans. That is only $112.50 profit. A decent meat raffle would raise more.

Even if you sold an extra 400 cans, that $1,000 a game or a maximum $9,000 a season.

Not sure alcohol will be the saviour of struggling clubs.

Max “only coke” Leader

I don’t think this has got anything to do with making $100 a week selling cans over the bar.. more so allowing clubs to give a service offering to their sponsors and club raising money through having a luncheon where a sponsor might pay $2k for a table where lunch and a few beers or wine are served. Denying clubs the ability to hold these type of functions is extremely prohibitive and really unnecessary.

I don’t think this has got anything to do with making $100 a week selling cans over the bar.. more so allowing clubs to give a service offering to their sponsors and club raising money through having a luncheon where a sponsor might pay $2k for a table where lunch and a few beers or wine are served. Denying clubs the ability to hold these type of functions is extremely prohibitive and really unnecessary.
Can’t you hold a luncheon now under current alcohol rules?

allowing serving of alcohol, perhaps from half time in the ones, might attract a few more supporters/past players to come more regularly, rather than a one off luncheon. They might even buy a couple of Pies or a social membership.....

Can’t you hold a luncheon now under current alcohol rules?

allowing serving of alcohol, perhaps from half time in the ones, might attract a few more supporters/past players to come more regularly, rather than a one off luncheon. They might even buy a couple of Pies or a social membership.....
Anyone who is talking about a extended luncheon has clearly missed the point of these new discussions.

Clubs want to sell a few cans while the seniors are on. It will attract more supporters and make the club a little bit of money.

Div 1 is a better comp than division 4 EFL but the crowds are far less? I wonder why..

Anyone against this i dare say hasn't watched a game of the numbered division football in a while or they'd see what a shambles it is.

Anyone who is talking about a extended luncheon has clearly missed the point of these new discussions.

Clubs want to sell a few cans while the seniors are on. It will attract more supporters and make the club a little bit of money.

Div 1 is a better comp than division 4 EFL but the crowds are far less? I wonder why..

Anyone against this i dare say hasn't watched a game of the numbered division football in a while or they'd see what a shambles it is.
Well I for one, when I stopped playing and decided that I'd umpire, considered other leagues & a crucial part of my decision to stay in the VAFA was no booze.
I've been president of a club in the lower grades & my club have always been adamant that it'd make sweet FA difference financially.
I'm sure if you wanted to craft an argument either way you could. For mine, booze after half time in the seniors might be a good compromise. Try and get some part players down that way.

Don't most kids drink water these days instead of beer? Wasted argument and column space in the VAFA publications, we do not need alcohol induced abuse and thuggery at VAFA games, full stop.
If anyone wants a reference point, all you need to do is look at the violence at AFL games these days, it's a disgrace. The VAFA should continue to lead the way and who knows, one day we may have a safe environment at AFL games because they ban alcohol sales.

Well I for one, when I stopped playing and decided that I'd umpire, considered other leagues & a crucial part of my decision to stay in the VAFA was no booze.
Fair point - the opinion of the umpires (paid and volunteer) should certainly be taken into account. And any change should definitely keep drinkers away from behind the goals or the umpires' gate. But this can be controlled.
For mine, booze after half time in the seniors might be a good compromise. Try and get some part players down that way.
I think it would need to start earlier - from the opening bounce of the seniors, perhaps. Too many times I have seen reserves players shoot through as soon as they have showered, just to go and drink at the nearest pub. I went to Swinburne a couple of times when there was a pub just over the road (think it is now closed) and saw 15-20 reserves players (from both sides) drinking and watching AFL in the pub, while only 2 or 3 remained at the ground to watch their seniors. Starting sales at half time won't fix this.
I'm sure if you wanted to craft an argument either way you could.
Very true. As I posted long ago, I think the only way we will get beyond the well-worn arguments is to give it a go under controlled conditions. For mine, I think allowing alcohol consumption indoors (in the social club) only, with no outdoor drinking, would be a sensible thing. So long as a dry area is provided for kids / families and any misbehaviour is cracked down on (and I'm sure the VAFA would), I don't see this as being a problem.

The VAFA do most things right. Sure they can improve on a few, but on balance it's a good league. Other leagues have better footy (and some definitely have worse), bigger crowds and better atmospheres, but there something intrinsically good about the VAFA. I'd like to see them be more flexible with this though. Serving alcohol is not the panacea to big attendances and bursting bank balances, but it might help. How about this idea:

Each Club must present a floorplan of where alcohol will be served. It must be indoors, or directly adjacent to an indoor facility (such as clubrooms). That is, no 'can bar' on the far side of the ground. The VAFA must approve this. Once it's approved, if any Club is found providing alcohol outside these areas, they are given a warning, and put on a bond. If it occurs a second time, then automatic loss of VAFA Alcohol Licence for 12 months and the payment of the bond. Next offense is loss for good.

Not perfect. Probably requires refinement. It's a start though.

I've been president of a club in the lower grades & my club have always been adamant that it'd make sweet FA difference financially.
I'm sure if you wanted to craft an argument either way you could. For mine, booze after half time in the seniors might be a good compromise. Try and get some part players down that way.
And the VAFA still have probably the least umpires per teams.

The VAFA do most things right. Sure they can improve on a few, but on balance it's a good league. Other leagues have better footy (and some definitely have worse), bigger crowds and better atmospheres, but there something intrinsically good about the VAFA. I'd like to see them be more flexible with this though. Serving alcohol is not the panacea to big attendances and bursting bank balances, but it might help. How about this idea:

Each Club must present a floorplan of where alcohol will be served. It must be indoors, or directly adjacent to an indoor facility (such as clubrooms). That is, no 'can bar' on the far side of the ground. The VAFA must approve this. Once it's approved, if any Club is found providing alcohol outside these areas, they are given a warning, and put on a bond. If it occurs a second time, then automatic loss of VAFA Alcohol Licence for 12 months and the payment of the bond. Next offense is loss for good.

Not perfect. Probably requires refinement. It's a start though.
Well done Mappa I like your thought process ! but if you were to change the penalties to FINES then submit this to the VAFA you'd be on a winner :p:p

In some 3rds news Chadstone have dropped out this week , sad for any club . Massive walkout apparently.
In both D4 and D3?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s it matter VAFA will just force clubs to fill those roles
Because some clubs can't actually fill these roles.

Pretty poor form that they forfeit the higher division which I assume would be like their ones team??!
Should be made to play the higher division IMO....
They had 4 sides down to 3. I don't mind too much, it means we still bank 2x byes (8 more points) unless North Brunswick or Glen Eira pull out, and we've already played (and beaten) them once, and don't play them again until the last round.

Pretty poor form that they forfeit the higher division which I assume would be like their ones team??!
Should be made to play the higher division IMO....
Extremely poor form, the entire div 4 team left, they then dropped their div3 team to div4, take a look at their score today, the VAFA should enforce them to play in div3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back