VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Heaps of room. Only used 28/45 Points in their GF romp.
Like the pres said of 3 point player Brendan Goddard, just giving back mate...
But probably got 5hr/week job for 100k with alh group or Probuild.

Jono is no old boy, but does know some of the lads at Caulfield.

Well done on scanning the list of sponsors. Couldn’t see him at Hammond Floors or Shephard Shoes?

I was informed by someone that attended the VAFA AGM that the league ran at a $150,000 loss in season 2019. I'm not sure if the Annual Report is accessible yet but surely that's a massive concern? I believe the league made a contribution to the construction of the new facilities at Elsternwick Park, could that be the sole reason for the huge loss? Thinking back to my post a couple of weeks ago about the new $11 charge to players when they register.....$11 x approx 13,000 registered VAFA players = ~140k :think::think:

But I'm sure it's all about promoting the sponsors ;)

I was informed by someone that attended the VAFA AGM that the league ran at a $150,000 loss in season 2019. I'm not sure if the Annual Report is accessible yet but surely that's a massive concern? I believe the league made a contribution to the construction of the new facilities at Elsternwick Park, could that be the sole reason for the huge loss? Thinking back to my post a couple of weeks ago about the new $11 charge to players when they register.....$11 x approx 13,000 registered VAFA players = ~140k :think::think:

But I'm sure it's all about promoting the sponsors ;)
Unbelievable. Would love to see spending areas.

In all seriousness what’s the deal with those “Irish” tours. Do players fund their own way their, accom, uniform or does the league cover everything?

Boys/Girls

The financials are available, they come with the annual Report in a separate document.

They made a loss of $150k but the loss was lower than in 2018 when they lost $245k. No big junkets in 2019,

Biggest issue is that their income streams are limited and stagnate, whilst costs were well managed with the main increase in costs being umpiring up $180k. However to offset these costs rep footy costs were down $200k. Overall costs for 2019 were down.

How does the VAFA increase revenue.

They are not getting any of the $11, its going to AFLvic.

Biggest weakness in my opinion is the amount of money received by VAFA sponsors. In 2019 they only took in $304k down from $360k the previous year.

Also VAFA get literally nothing from AFLvic - $34k.

On the Balance Sheet side they have $400k in cash down from $500k in 2018.

They are not insolvent, but definitely need to maintain or reduce costs,, but need to get real sponsors that can add value not only to the comp but to all the clubs.

Max "Arthur Anderson" Leader

Boys/Girls

The financials are available, they come with the annual Report in a separate document.

They made a loss of $150k but the loss was lower than in 2018 when they lost $245k. No big junkets in 2019,

Biggest issue is that their income streams are limited and stagnate, whilst costs were well managed with the main increase in costs being umpiring up $180k. However to offset these costs rep footy costs were down $200k. Overall costs for 2019 were down.

Biggest weakness in my opinion is the amount of money received by VAFA sponsors. In 2019 they only took in $304k down from $360k the previous year.

They are not insolvent, but definitely need to maintain or reduce costs,, but need to get real sponsors that can add value not only to the comp but to all the clubs.

They will be getting a majority of the $11 less GST and SportsTG fee for handling!

THE EYE

:think:

Boys/Girls

They were spending 200k on rep football!? Does that include the Irish junket?

Boys/Girls

Whoever the sponsorship manager is should be sacked, that figure is embarrassing. Perhaps they need to trim a few fat cats from the payroll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what’s the future hold if they’ve lost 400k over 2 years?

Need a turn around quickly
Not easy, but everyone has to remember the Comp has grown by nearly a third in the last three years, and that costs money.

Soon the Women's teams will fees will increase inline with Men's comp. This will help.

It comes down to getting paying sponsors, not in-kind sponsors.

Not easy, but everyone has to remember the Comp has grown by nearly a third in the last three years, and that costs money.

Soon the Women's teams will fees will increase inline with Men's comp. This will help.

It comes down to getting paying sponsors, not in-kind sponsors.
What are the fees at the moment. Surely they are at break even at minimum.

Whoever the sponsorship manager is should be sacked, that figure is embarrassing. Perhaps they need to trim a few fat cats from the payroll.
Blair O’Hara did pretty much get sacked. Paul Wagland took over earlier this year, he’s doing a reasonable job so far in a job that was a shambles before he started. The AFL forcing vafa to ditch Sportscover as the naming rights sponsor and switch over to JLT/Marsh is the big one that hurt in terms of revenue. They still haven’t secured a new naming rights sponsor for Elsternwick Park and Holmesglen is putting in no where near the cash for front of jumper that Sportscover did.

Blair O’Hara did pretty much get sacked. Paul Wagland took over earlier this year, he’s doing a reasonable job so far in a job that was a shambles before he started. The AFL forcing vafa to ditch Sportscover as the naming rights sponsor and switch over to JLT/Marsh is the big one that hurt in terms of revenue. They still haven’t secured a new naming rights sponsor for Elsternwick Park and Holmesglen is putting in no where near the cash for front of jumper that Sportscover did.

I have been told that Bastion has been charged with finding the VAFA a new major sponsor for the last little while, sadly to no avail just yet.

You would think a company would jump at this opportunity given that the VAFA have upwards of tens of thousands players, coaches, supporters, support team but clearly not given the tough economic environment in some sectors.

I have been told that Bastion has been charged with finding the VAFA a new major sponsor for the last little while, sadly to no avail just yet.

You would think a company would jump at this opportunity given that the VAFA have upwards of tens of thousands players, coaches, supporters, support team but clearly not given the tough economic environment in some sectors.
The money the VAFA might want plenty might rather throw it into the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back