VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

To be fair, without the hotel quarantine debacle, we would be playing footy at the moment. Look at Adelaide, Sydney, Perth, Brisvegas, all playing local footy again now.
if we stayed on the same path we were on when this debate was originally raging, we’d be off to training tonight, getting ready for round 3.

While I tend to agree re hotel quarantine was a mess. Realistically, given the general's public behaviour I can't help but feel this was always going to happen.

Think of how many AFL players, coaches, staff have been stung for Covid Breaches. If professionals in the public can't seem to do it properly (all be it a minority), how can we expect the general public to do. Let alone VAFA players that would have to be following some sort of loose protocol in order to avoid any potential breaches.

The idiotic, plain stupidity of people's behaviour in Victoria is the true reason why we're in this mess. If everyone did the right thing, we would be fine. Unfortunately that is not to be and I have seriously lost faith in the Victorian public. I always thought Australians were team players that did the right thing and would 'stick fat'. After all this I cant help but feel we are a long way off it.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but it honestly hurts to see the rest of Australia going about their days like nothing has happened, yet we in Victoria are struggling.

Im hoping someone can share some more positive news or have more of a positive outlook than I.

Fingers crossed, footy clubs can begin training January 2021

While I tend to agree re hotel quarantine was a mess. Realistically, given the general's public behaviour I can't help but feel this was always going to happen.

Think of how many AFL players, coaches, staff have been stung for Covid Breaches. If professionals in the public can't seem to do it properly (all be it a minority), how can we expect the general public to do. Let alone VAFA players that would have to be following some sort of loose protocol in order to avoid any potential breaches.

The idiotic, plain stupidity of people's behaviour in Victoria is the true reason why we're in this mess. If everyone did the right thing, we would be fine. Unfortunately that is not to be and I have seriously lost faith in the Victorian public. I always thought Australians were team players that did the right thing and would 'stick fat'. After all this I cant help but feel we are a long way off it.

Apologies for going slightly off topic but it honestly hurts to see the rest of Australia going about their days like nothing has happened, yet we in Victoria are struggling.

Im hoping someone can share some more positive news or have more of a positive outlook than I.

Fingers crossed, footy clubs can begin training January 2021

I prefer to look forward rather than back. Forget all the blame game and lets try and be positive. Going round and round with the negative stuff isnt helping anyone. We're all locked down but let's look forward to 2021 and the smell of freshly cut grass, cheers after a goal, hearing a half time spray from the opposition change room or a frothy with mates. It's going to be a great season next year.

Very good read and very true.
Thanks Bedders. The thumbs-up I've received on this post has been uplifting. It didn't take long to put it together, just rolled off the tongue (so to speak).
There'll be another geography experience as soon as the new season(?) nears.

Hey guys,

Hope this is in the right place.

Just wondering if you guys can give us a few pointers as to what the standard is like down the bottom end of VAFA (Div 3 and Div 4), in comparison to say the NFNL? I've never had much to do with the comp, unfortunately. I've only ever seen the top division which was a very high standard.

Haven't played for about 5 years (I'm late 20s now) and coming off an ACL reco (will be 2 years as of 2021) and am looking at getting back into things - preferably at a bit of an easier pace for obvious reasons.

Are the lower division clubs, at least in the ressies suitable, or would I be better going suburban?

I thought about social footy league but I would prefer to train to be quite honest.

Hey guys,

Hope this is in the right place.

Just wondering if you guys can give us a few pointers as to what the standard is like down the bottom end of VAFA (Div 3 and Div 4), in comparison to say the NFNL? I've never had much to do with the comp, unfortunately. I've only ever seen the top division which was a very high standard.

Haven't played for about 5 years (I'm late 20s now) and coming off an ACL reco (will be 2 years as of 2021) and am looking at getting back into things - preferably at a bit of an easier pace for obvious reasons.

Are the lower division clubs, at least in the ressies suitable, or would I be better going suburban?

I thought about social footy league but I would prefer to train to be quite honest.

NFNL div 3 = C grade/div 1

The turtles were confident of making finals in div3 NFNL, aside from beating some equivalent Div 2 ammos level sides in reservoir and lalor they were miles off it.

I’d also argue the gaps between divisions in the NFNL are bigger than the ammos. Which is understandable when you have 3 divisons vs 7(?)

I’ve had next to no experience with the ammos, happy to be corrected

The turtles were confident of making finals in div3 NFNL, aside from beating some equivalent Div 2 ammos level sides in reservoir and lalor they were miles off it.

I’d also argue the gaps between divisions in the NFNL are bigger than the ammos. Which is understandable when you have 3 divisons vs 7(?)

I’ve had next to no experience with the ammos, happy to be corrected
The fact is you can't compare unless you can watch both or you have knowledge of players that go from one league to another.

The fact is you can't compare unless you can watch both or you have knowledge of players that go from one league to another.

I can compare but my opinion may not carry as much weight as others

Turtles were confident of playing finals and were a long way off the top sides in div 3 NFNL.

I can compare but my opinion may not carry as much weight as others

Turtles were confident of playing finals and were a long way off the top sides in div 3 NFNL.
The Turtles finished dead last in D2 - 5th division of the ammos in their final year in the VAFA. They won 1 game and had a % around 30. They copped some frightful hammerings. I note they went 6/9 with a % of 90 in the 3rd tier of the NFL.

Based on the above, I find it strange you would use them as as benchmark by which to judge C or D grade ammos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Turtles finished dead last in D2 - 5th division of the ammos in their final year in the VAFA. They won 1 game and had a % around 30. They copped some frightful hammerings.

Based on the above, i find it strange you would use them as as benchmark by which to judge C or D grade ammos.

not a bench mark but it’s a way to compare the leagues. Turtles would of improved their list on the back of swapping leagues

i don’t see the top two divisions of both leagues being that far apart

so that’s me comparing NFNL div 3 to ammos c section/D1

the ammos divisions are more even and you can see sides jumping 1-2 divisions year on year.

NFNL has far bigger gaps within its divisions.

Banyule has made the biggest leap in recent history And even then it took 3-4 seasons to make a div 2 GF.

not a bench mark but it’s a way to compare the leagues. Turtles would of improved their list on the back of swapping leagues

the ammos divisions are more even and you can see sides jumping 1-2 divisions year on year.

Banyule has made the biggest leap in recent history And even then it took 3-4 seasons to make a div 2 GF.

I know this convo has gone elsewhere a little bit, but for my purposes I guess it's safe to presume that div 3-4 ammos is going to be a fair bit lower standard than even Div 3 NFNL?

I know this convo has gone elsewhere a little bit, but for my purposes I guess it's safe to presume that div 3-4 ammos is going to be a fair bit lower standard than even Div 3 NFNL?

Yes.

I’m probably biased, but I didnt think my comparison was that far off.

Probably. Out west you have Westbourne Grammarians in D3 or even Therry Penola or PEGS who both have 3 sides in D1, as well as several Brunswick sides

Yes.

I’m probably biased, but I didnt think my comparison was that far off.
Sorry but it was was. The Turtles 2018 results would have seen at best mid table in D3 - 6th tier of the VAFA. 2019 they were mid table in the 3rd tier of the NFL. Which ever way you slice it that does not equate to C/D grade VAFA.

D1 - C has been a bit of a jump for a few.

I hope Bedford doesn’t take this as a shot, but Ormond to me seemed to do a bit of jumping between them. Dominated D1 then relegated from C.

I may be wrong and it may have happened less than I thought but we never seemed to get rid of them for long!!!

D1 - C has been a bit of a jump for a few.

I hope Bedford doesn’t take this as a shot, but Ormond to me seemed to do a bit of jumping between them. Dominated D1 then relegated from C.

I may be wrong and it may have happened less than I thought but we never seemed to get rid of them for long!!!
2019 seems like an eternity ago but didn't Ormond finish 3rd in C grade last year?

Double whack JJ
Sorry Bedders. Have removed the duplicate entry. I hope I didn't come come across as a smart arse and not meaning to whack anybody. It is very difficult to compare competitions. The top grade of the NFL is outstanding but the logic used in this case was, in my opinion, way off the mark.

2019 seems like an eternity ago but didn't Ormond finish 3rd in C grade last year?

Well they were eventually a chance to get it right! But it’s more a general point that imo the gap is there between C and D1.

Obviously there will always be exceptions like Williamstown but they took a long time to get a squad together to make the jump.

Although the jump from C to B might be even harder

I’m sure someone would know some actual facts on the gap in the divisions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back