VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Ask the EFL people. Have lost of lot of numbers in their umpiring ranks.

Not as many as the VAFA Paz, field umpire losses the most across all competitions topping out at 80 across the 2019 season.

I know a couple left the ammos and went to Eastern, but most went to SFL due to being treated poorly by management and coaching staff!

Not as many as the VAFA Paz, field umpire losses the most across all competitions topping out at 80 across the 2019 season.

I know a couple left the ammos and went to Eastern, but most went to SFL due to being treated poorly by management and coaching staff!
Often referred as a dummy spit after not getting the grand final they thought they were entitled to, usually as a result of a self inflated opinion of their ability.

Interesting announcements out of HQ - the umpire one bringing one of it's own home to run it is big.
I thought the reason Haydn gave up umpiring was so he was available on Saturday afternoons should anything come up, obviously no longer a requirement?

Think the focus needs to be promoting a career in the Ammo's - most of the young kids seem to disappear to VFL after a few years, very few hanging around.

That has seemed to be the focus in the last decade and a half, at least one young scuffler being given a spot on the A GF panel each year as a stepping stone to greater things. I've mixed feelings on the youth policy - yes it keeps out someone more experienced and equally deserving of a top spot, but at the same time I get a feeling of great pride when someone I've umpired with gets a gig with the AFL. Especially some of the self-deprecating ones who get there with pure hard work and modest talent, unlike some stars who have been fast-tracked. But that's just my opinion, worth what you paid for it!

Clearly it was spoken about a major financial loss to the VAFA last year On this thread.

Is it time to stop these rep games. Premier B to 4 is heading to North Queensland.

At what price do these trips come?

Clearly it was spoken about a major financial loss to the VAFA last year On this thread.

Is it time to stop these rep games. Premier B to 4 is heading to North Queensland.

At what price do these trips come?

To deny players the opportunity to at rep level would be a backward step.

It is a backward step for every other competition that doesn't have it now.

The main reason behind the financial situation is the long needed redevelopment of Elsternwick Park. There will more to come on that front.

The main reason behind the financial situation is the long needed redevelopment of Elsternwick Park. There will more to come on that front.
I believe the financial performance has a lot to do with the EP redevelopment, but in main, the lack of the VAFA to get any real meaningful sponsorship's.

$300k a year is very very low. I would say the sponsorship generated by the Prem A, B and C clubs would com close to $3,000,000 per annum.

If we consider there is 10,000-12,000 players, both male and female in a demographic of 17 to 35 (as a general rule), surely brands that cater specifically to this sub culture would do we to get access to them.

Health insurance companies
Health products, food and supplements
Clothing companies - 2XU, Politix (now a sponsor), Nike, Adidas

You don't need to get accounting or legal firms. Happy to take their money, but players of the VAFA demographic don't care about these sponsor and won't really support them.

On a side note VAFA get bugger all from Football Victoria. We are the biggest adult football competition in Victoria/Australia. They need to be giving more the chump change to assist the every growing VAFA.

The VAFA also need to ensure whom ever the employ is more than suitably qualified. Too many jobs for the boy/girls. The mistakes made by well meaning staff who are not either qualified or have the right level of understanding of football administration is off the charts. Just look who OX have employed as a staff member - Paul Newton. A real football person. So spend money on professionals. It will save money in the long run.

Max "coming of the shortish run" Leader

I don’t agree with that. Expensive and no interest is shown from my experience.

Quite a few blokes I know have played in it and said it was just a waste of time.

I believe the financial performance has a lot to do with the EP redevelopment, but in main, the lack of the VAFA to get any real meaningful sponsorship's.

$300k a year is very very low. I would say the sponsorship generated by the Prem A, B and C clubs would com close to $3,000,000 per annum.

If we consider there is 10,000-12,000 players, both male and female in a demographic of 17 to 35 (as a general rule), surely brands that cater specifically to this sub culture would do we to get access to them.

Health insurance companies
Health products, food and supplements
Clothing companies - 2XU, Politix (now a sponsor), Nike, Adidas

You don't need to get accounting or legal firms. Happy to take their money, but players of the VAFA demographic don't care about these sponsor and won't really support them.

On a side note VAFA get bugger all from Football Victoria. We are the biggest adult football competition in Victoria/Australia. They need to be giving more the chump change to assist the every growing VAFA.

The VAFA also need to ensure whom ever the employ is more than suitably qualified. Too many jobs for the boy/girls. The mistakes made by well meaning staff who are not either qualified or have the right level of understanding of football administration is off the charts. Just look who OX have employed as a staff member - Paul Newton. A real football person. So spend money on professionals. It will save money in the long run.

Max "coming of the shortish run" Leader
agreed 300k is horrendous. I know of clubs with 150k. As you said it’s a extremely focused market which is perfect for advertisement. Sporty 18-35.

Would think any of the big real estate agents in the area would look at the VAFA as a premium marketing opportunity, perhaps its the VAFA administration and the lack of ability to harness and value add to these corporate companies that make them reluctant to tip money in and perhaps the VAFA not knowing the value of its own product.

Looking at the staff page on the VAFA website it looks like all appointments basically come from within the VAFA system and what is obvious is a lack of professional sport background. If they wanted to maximise these sponsorship $ they prob need someone from AFL or AFL Club level who fully understand the value of what it has to offer.

Would think any of the big real estate agents in the area would look at the VAFA as a premium marketing opportunity, perhaps its the VAFA administration and the lack of ability to harness and value add to these corporate companies that make them reluctant to tip money in and perhaps the VAFA not knowing the value of its own product.

Looking at the staff page on the VAFA website it looks like all appointments basically come from within the VAFA system and what is obvious is a lack of professional sport background. If they wanted to maximise these sponsorship $ they prob need someone from AFL or AFL Club level who fully understand the value of what it has to offer.
Brett Connell is about the only one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What’s going to happen with D4 if St Johns and Swinburne can’t get 2 sides up?
Between both sides they have a total of 5 clearances in. I would say that’s low even for a good club to cover general turnover.

games aren’t far away!

What’s going to happen with D4 if St Johns and Swinburne can’t get 2 sides up?
Between both sides they have a total of 5 clearances in. I would say that’s low even for a good club to cover general turnover.

games aren’t far away!

Presumably the VAFA have been assured by those teams coming from clubbies that they will have enough for 2 teams. If the clearance are as bleak as what you're suggesting and they dont get 2 teams per club off the ground, perhaps it's time the VAFA bites the bullet and combines 3 and 4

Presumably the VAFA have been assured by those teams coming from clubbies that they will have enough for 2 teams. If the clearance are as bleak as what you're suggesting and they dont get 2 teams per club off the ground, perhaps it's time the VAFA bites the bullet and combines 3 and 4
They would have no choice, you couldn’t have a division with 4 teams

I think the fixture was released prematurely. Safe bet would have been to wait until clearances started rolling in but it's done now and may need to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back