VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Did Gillon McLaughlin say on Fox Footy today that he didn't expect any community footy to be played this year?
Whether he said it or not, I reckon that is most likely the case. Personally, I thought the chance of playing suburban footy this year dropped to about 10% when Stage 1 restrictions came in. If we get to a full lockdown, I would rate it about 2%.

Also, do we even want to play footy this year? This might be a strange question on a forum dedicated to local footy, but the problems are massive:
- Social distancing must have played havoc with training. I suppose you can train by yourself, but it nothing like being put through your paces on the track. Restarting a comp when players haven't been able to train properly for weeks is asking for huge numbers of injuries. Is it really worth it for a half-arsed joke of a season?
- If we did restart, the VAFA would probably have to rearrange the lower sections, or play with gaps in the reserves comps, because some clubs will be worse affected than others. For example, while universities have been going online only, the uni clubs would have had a harder time recruiting this year's crop of first year students. The smaller unis (Latrobe, Swinburne) will be especially hard hit.
- Even if things get back to normal (or normal enough to play amateur footy), a lot of players will have to miss this season. Players who are self-employed or work for small companies affected by the business shutdown will be working stacks of overtime to get things going again. Players who are casual workers (and I heard somewhere that casuals are something like 37% of the workforce, so it is a big problem) will be working all the Saturday shifts they can get to make up for lost income. The stronger clubs with big numbers will still be OK, but the lower section clubs that struggle for numbers at the best of times might not be able to field two sides.
- Also, I think a lot of people might have changed their outlook on local footy - I know I have. When the restrictions were just a bit of an annoyance (no local footy, can't go to AFL games), we could all look forward to local footy restarting. Now that tens of thousands of people have been thrown out of work (and hundreds of thousands might soon be) and more and more people are getting the virus, local footy is beginning to look pretty trivial.

- Also, I think a lot of people might have changed their outlook on local footy - I know I have. When the restrictions were just a bit of an annoyance (no local footy, can't go to AFL games), we could all look forward to local footy restarting. Now that tens of thousands of people have been thrown out of work (and hundreds of thousands might soon be) and more and more people are getting the virus, local footy is beginning to look pretty trivial.
On the contrary. I think local footy will be just as important, if not more. The novelty of Facebook challenges will wear off pretty soon, and footy players young and old will just want some company and the ability to have a kick with their mates. The results of any competitions that happens in 2020 might be less important than other years, but don't discount the mental benefits of what belonging to a local footy club can bring.
I actually think many will start to question the importance of the AFL competition rather than their local club or league

mappa said:
I actually think many will start to question the importance of the AFL competition rather than their local club or league
I used to be a dedicated Richmond fan, I'm still a Richmond fan. Around 2005-2006 I just lost interest in AFL because of the, well, sameness each week. Led by the media and the dominance of The Footy Show. It was all anyone ever talked about and it became boring. Then I discovered VAFA footy and loved it.
Yes, I was proud of wearing a pair of Richo's used boots when I umpired. I celebrated Richmond's GF win with everyone else. But don't ask me about who the current players are or who we're playing this week. I'll skim the results and give a thumbs up if we win, that's about the extent of my passing interest these days. I don't even go to the Richmond board on here!

To some extent AFL has followed the decline of Formula 1 (I'm talking about the actual sport, not the crowds). It is less and less the elite level of the same game played in local parks, and become a circus. It's distanced itself by continuous rule changes* and the reduction of the human element (video reviews with multiple camera angles etc) as well as the hype and constant scrutiny of the players. It seems just a matter of time before the nine (count 'em!) umpires are supplemented by a team of guys in miked-up striped shirts running onto the field waving little flags to interrupt play for the slightest transgression that the fieldies missed or let go.

Convince me I'm wrong.

* AFL Vic and the local leagues seem quite happy to promulgate the same rule changes in lower level footy, regardless of the relevance to that level of competition.

On the contrary. I think local footy will be just as important, if not more. The novelty of Facebook challenges will wear off pretty soon, and footy players young and old will just want some company and the ability to have a kick with their mates. The results of any competitions that happens in 2020 might be less important than other years, but don't discount the mental benefits of what belonging to a local footy club can bring.
I couldn’t agree any more with this sentiment. Once the darker times pass and the light start to appear I believe local footy will thrive.

I hope you are right. I think a lot of it will come down to how the whole coronavirus thing ends. Now that the virus is off and going (community transmission), there is unlikely to be a day on which the authorities declare victory and let us get back to normal (unless they find a vaccine and vaccinate every last Australian). Instead, I think the restrictions will be wound back slowly and, even when we can go back to the footy, it might be with restrictions / a kind of probation (any reappearance of the virus results in abandonment of the season - that would be woeful). By that time, what we are doing now might start to seem normal and we could emerge from our houses weary rather than elated. Time will tell.

And you are very definitely right about the mental health benefits. Local footy is a big (sometimes the biggest) thing in a lot of blokes' lives, especially those who are socially isolated / sick / disadvantaged. Local footy should be prioritised over AFL for this reason, imo - but it won't be.

I just lost interest in AFL […] then I discovered VAFA footy and loved it.
Unfortunately, you are one of all too few. A huge disconnect between AFL and local footy has developed in the last 20 or 25 years. I think the biggest reason for this is the streaming of junior talent into TAC cup / interstate equivalents or the football academies at an early age, meaning that very few players are drafted from suburban comps. As a result, a lot of AFL fans in the big cities know nothing about local footy (they think all footballers come from the elite junior comps), and don't have much reason to find out. Many of those that do have some awareness regard it as a dead end for blokes who weren't good enough for the big time or (even worse) have the idea that it is 'park footy', with blokes buggering around in half-arsed social games with mates (the tiny crowds at the lower section VAFA games do not help in this regard). If local footy is to survive and prosper, more needs to be done to make people know it is valuable in its own right, not as a failed / substandard form of AFL.

It is less and less the elite level of the same game played in local parks, and become a circus. It's distanced itself by continuous rule changes.
AFL Vic and the local leagues seem quite happy to promulgate the same rule changes in lower level footy, regardless of the relevance to that level of competition.
Could not agree more. Many of the rule changes are not just pointless but harmful (getting rid of 25m penalties, for one). The only thing that can be said in favour of this is if they didn't change the rules to match, the two games (AFL footy, local footy) would have diverged completely by now.

I'm with you BlueJet, my experience says some of these jobs the players get are temporary whilst they are playing footy and able to be offered during the good time.
The good times have disappeared and will not be around for a couple of years.
My prediction for the immediate future..... Several mergers. Could be VAFA Clubs (Unlikley A, B or C Clubs) but lower grades and Suburban Clubs.
Depending whether we get any games played do coaches get a % of pay? Assistant coaches and fitness staff who may still be providing training plans for players to do on their own will want % of pay. Does the Club have the funds with Sponsors not coughing up due to no games? No subs from players etc etc

Could be an interesting off season before the season even gets off the ground.

My opinion, there will be NO FOOTY this year.

Please keep the conversation going because l am going bonkers inside these 4 walls.

Thoughts?

I'm with you BlueJet, my experience says some of these jobs the players get are temporary whilst they are playing footy and able to be offered during the good time.
The good times have disappeared and will not be around for a couple of years.
My prediction for the immediate future..... Several mergers. Could be VAFA Clubs (Unlikley A, B or C Clubs) but lower grades and Suburban Clubs.
Depending whether we get any games played do coaches get a % of pay? Assistant coaches and fitness staff who may still be providing training plans for players to do on their own will want % of pay. Does the Club have the funds with Sponsors not coughing up due to no games? No subs from players etc etc

Could be an interesting off season before the season even gets off the ground.

My opinion, there will be NO FOOTY this year.

Please keep the conversation going because l am going bonkers inside these 4 walls.

Thoughts?

Good Post Carlton,
Really interesting one re coaches. They have been planning and working for a number of months. But if they weren’t paid up front, very difficult for clubs as fundraisers, lunches etc aren’t up front, then it will be impossible for most clubs now. Subs and sponsors are toast.
We won’t play again this year. Tough time in club land to try and be fair and reasonable. What a nightmare.

Good Post Carlton,
Really interesting one re coaches. They have been planning and working for a number of months. But if they weren’t paid up front, very difficult for clubs as fundraisers, lunches etc aren’t up front, then it will be impossible for most clubs now. Subs and sponsors are toast.
We won’t play again this year. Tough time in club land to try and be fair and reasonable. What a nightmare.
I’m staying optimistic Hipp. A 12 round H&A season starting mid-June. No byes, and extend into October or maybe even November if required. Forget promotion/relegation for this season but we can still crown a premier.

I know there are far more important things going on but footy and sport in general bring structure, social engagment and well-being (both physical and mental) to so many people’s lives. Will need a lot of things to improve for it to happen but if we can play some footy we should. Even more important in country towns as footy and netball clubs are the fabric of many rural communities.

Those who see the glass as half full have not given up on 2020 yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m staying optimistic Hipp. A 12 round H&A season starting mid-June. No byes, and extend into October or maybe even November if required. Forget promotion/relegation for this season but we can still crown a premier.

I know there are far more important things going on but footy and sport in general bring structure, social engagment and well-being (both physical and mental) to so many people’s lives. Will need a lot of things to improve for it to happen but if we can play some footy we should. Even more important in country towns as footy and netball clubs are the fabric of many rural communities.

If it starts mid June it has to be 9 weeks and a 2 week finals series.

It would need to push the cricket season back and then next years footy starts later

You can't just push the cricket season into April, the weather is already turning to s**t.

About the latest local footy could expect is a GF in early October.

AFL is going to be in trouble though as they may lose all their major grounds in October to cricket if the T20 World Cup goes ahead.

I can't see us going past early September dates, not as important as the AFL and cricket would want to start.

I can't see us going past early September dates, not as important as the AFL and cricket would want to start.
To be clear I love cricket. Played the game well into 40s and often on a Saturday I wander down to watch my old club for an hour or so and enjoy a cold can with like-minded observers. But extraordinary times require extraordinary measures and some cross sport co-operation. A shortened footy season should mean a shortened cricket season (which is too bloody long anyway).

I actually think there would be great cooperation between the winter and summer tenants (there is generally a lot of cross over anyway). But the biggest impediment here will be local councils. Bloody hopeless and generally unwilling to consider anything that requires some initiative, imagination or creative thinking.

To be clear I love cricket. Played the game well into 40s and often on a Saturday I wander down to watch my old club for an hour or so and enjoy a cold can with like-minded observers. But extraordinary times require extraordinary measures and some cross sport co-operation. A shortened footy season should mean a shortened cricket season (which is too bloody long anyway).

I actually think there would be great cooperation between the winter and summer tenants (there is generally a lot of cross over anyway). But the biggest impediment here will be local councils. Bloody hopeless and generally unwilling to consider anything that requires some initiative, imagination or creative thinking.
How many cricket associations in melbourne? Every one of them would have to agree to a later start to accommodate this too.

How many cricket associations in melbourne? Every one of them would have to agree to a later start to accommodate this too.
I know of 7 in Melbourne's east and south alone.

Recently spoke to someone up high at the ACB. They have already informed the AFL powerbrokers that they will not be much wiggle room when it comes to season extensions.

Recently spoke to someone up high at the ACB. They have already informed the AFL powerbrokers that they will not be much wiggle room when it comes to season extensions.
Well that's that then. The MCC CEO said the contract with the ACB is rock solid and one which they will not seek to vary.

If the virus had begun at a different time of year, would football be prepared to have a late start so cricket could finish their seasons? I doubt it.
Just get used to no footy in 2020 and 2021 to start on time next year.
With AFL contemplating playing finals possibly in December, when do they plan to start 2021? When would the seasons get back on track?
It is what it is. Once in a lifetime kick in the butt.

Stay safe everyone, there are bigger things out there than footy at the moment.

If the virus had begun at a different time of year, would football be prepared to have a late start so cricket could finish their seasons? I doubt it.
Just get used to no footy in 2020 and 2021 to start on time next year.
With AFL contemplating playing finals possibly in December, when do they plan to start 2021? When would the seasons get back on track?
It is what it is. Once in a lifetime kick in the butt.

Stay safe everyone, there are bigger things out there than footy at the moment.

If they get back on, Lloyd's suggestion of a 34 round, 2 year season may be the best option.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back