VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Got a call from several clubs about the timing of the VAFA email. Clever timing in that the election starts today and the club endorsed nominees can't really to anything to right the wrong. Clubs believe that the Board via Brett C/Mikala S using their positions to notify VAFA clubs is unfair in the least.
One club has the goss that both the VAFA and the President allegedly denied the "outsider 3" the opportunity to use the same VAFA media that they then have used.
Well if that's what the current board stands for and they get reelected don't complain here.

Donald Trump would have a field day.
Some fresh blood cant hurt after another year of financial pain and serious questions around the structure of the Divisions.

Very true Steve Grace has gone to Caulfield Grammar as footy director at school level
😂 Well done Bedford, this is even funny for you, check the Premier board next time?

Re the other election stuff, who cares. George Voyage is a great man and has my vote every day of the week, ditto for Mick Overman, a magnificent human being.

😂 Well done Bedford, this is even funny for you, check the Premier board next time?

Re the other election stuff, who cares. George Voyage is a great man and has my vote every day of the week, ditto for Mick Overman, a magnificent human being.
Thanks , glad you found it funny. Just checked the Premier thread and it was there , but not his destination.

Gold...our old mate Briza is back.
Read this post and thought..‘it’s hard to change your writing style, but easy to change a name. Looking forward to your rantings in 2021.

Would assume that number includes job keeper, as well as payout of annual leave and long service leave to Benny on his retirement.

Hope there was no "Golden $ Handshake" approved by the admin?
Also note new instructions for voting. Who would have proposed the election prior to the Pres/Tres giving their views?
Donald Trump would have a field day.
Some fresh blood cant hurt after another year of financial pain and serious questions around the structure of the Divisions.

Clubs should vote for what is in club interest. From what the Eye knows the 3 new candidates are club people so the aim should be to get them in and try to balance the ledger. I concur with the thought that if you want change then vote for it.

THE EYE

I know its probably in the constitution somewhere, but in my time with many sporting and other clubs and associations, the election and appointments were always done at the AGM.

AGM & Election has been put off for 2 weeks [procedural irregularities!] . No surprise and now should be held in public. The 3 seeking reelection should never have used the VAFA media to publish their own "look at me" while denying the 3 club nominees access. Financial mismanagement and can't get a simple election to air on time. Time for a big change!

AGM & Election has been put off for 2 weeks [procedural irregularities!] . No surprise and now should be held in public. The 3 seeking reelection should never have used the VAFA media to publish their own "look at me" while denying the 3 club nominees access. Financial mismanagement and can't get a simple election to air on time. Time for a big change!
George Voyage should have also acknowledged the disgraceful way he campaigned for the re-election of the 3 board members and issued an apology to the three ‘outsiders’ for completely taking the piss out of what should be a fair election process.

The eye is not surprised at anything VAFA. No notice on the VAFA Website. Will be reluctant to put it up b/c it is an indictment on Admin Skills and the way the Board tried to shame the other 3 candidates.

Looking from afar it just shows how clubs think they are well governed but the reality is that governance and finance are badly handled. The CEO trying to vet questions by saying they have to be of a strategic nature [rubbish] and allowing the Board an unfair advantage by using the VAFA media in an election is just a small part of "procedural irregularities." Add to the fact that the new date corresponds to the office xmas party is just another insult.

THE TROUBLED EYE
:(:think::eek:

The eye is not surprised at anything VAFA. No notice on the VAFA Website. Will be reluctant to put it up b/c it is an indictment on Admin Skills and the way the Board tried to shame the other 3 candidates.

Looking from afar it just shows how clubs think they are well governed but the reality is that governance and finance are badly handled. The CEO trying to vet questions by saying they have to be of a strategic nature [rubbish] and allowing the Board an unfair advantage by using the VAFA media in an election is just a small part of "procedural irregularities." Add to the fact that the new date corresponds to the office xmas party is just another insult.

THE TROUBLED EYE
:(:think::eek:

HQ organises fixtures, umpires, tribunals and resolves club disputes. Still dont see how it should be running at a loss (admittedly 2020 is a different sort of year). What am I missing here?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They VAFA dont have Mr Somyurek advising the board on how to run an internal election do they? :p

Well Mr QPR Stan Bowles, been a hell of a journey. Misinformation everywhere. Some believe the dissemination was deliberate others believe admin was caught short in terms of procedural knowledge. Can say the finances are in a mess. VAFA will be caught out again because of poor budgetary process. Smarter people in the clubs should be the ones doing the budget. Would be interesting to ask clubs whether they have ever seen a VAFA budget? Nothing to hide surely!

Overall the 3 retiring board if not elected or part of might just get back on through cooption so status quo. Must say again disgraceful that the VAFA admin sent out to clubs a memo with only the retiring members CVs. Give people an equal fair chance.

43 points for A, 45 points for B, 47 points for the rest, equalisation the VAFA say, in an AMATEUR competition.

Clubs are being punished for working hard off and on field, I’ve changed my mind, Voyage, Bear, Confait and co need to go!

Discuss please.

43 points for A, 45 points for B, 47 points for the rest, equalisation the VAFA say, in an AMATEUR competition.

Clubs are being punished for working hard off and on field, I’ve changed my mind, Voyage, Bear, Confait and co need to go!

Discuss please.
Ridiculous points level.

it could see the destruction of other leagues given that they have been continuously reducing points.

Well Mr QPR Stan Bowles, been a hell of a journey. Misinformation everywhere. Some believe the dissemination was deliberate others believe admin was caught short in terms of procedural knowledge. Can say the finances are in a mess. VAFA will be caught out again because of poor budgetary process. Smarter people in the clubs should be the ones doing the budget. Would be interesting to ask clubs whether they have ever seen a VAFA budget? Nothing to hide surely!

Overall the 3 retiring board if not elected or part of might just get back on through cooption so status quo. Must say again disgraceful that the VAFA admin sent out to clubs a memo with only the retiring members CVs. Give people an equal fair chance.

Clubs would d

Discuss please.

Is that a board decision or recommendation from management?

Discuss please.
Bear and Confait pushing to make the "Old Boy" qualification 3 years as well. Does not affect my club but many of the bigger schools get country kids as boarders in years 11 and 12 or provide scholarships for those years. Whether you spent 1 year or 12 years at a school you are still an old boy.

The most obvious things that needs fixing is the 1-point university rule. Currently if you can spell Uni Blues you qualify as a one pointer. Also wonder if they will look at the junior club alignment and the shambolic MOU arrangement. Somehow I doubt it.

What an absolute sham this board vote is becoming. The President of the VAFA (who is also one of the people up for election) has sent the below letter out to all clubs and Life Members. Clearly sh!tting himself that the three ‘outsiders’ may have a chance at knocking off him or one of his cronies.
How they have sent this letter out without also declaring the qualifications of the three other candidates is a disgrace.

Wednesday, 2 December 2020
Dear Members, VAFAUA and Life Members,
As you will be aware, the VAFA AGM will be held on Monday 7th December.
We are sure by now you will have received notice that an election will need to be held for the first time in many years.
Just to explain the format. There are nine (9) elected members to the VAFA Board and each year three (3) Board members on a rotating basis are up for re-election.
So for this year’s AGM, an election will need to be held as there are three (3) current VAFA Board members seeking re-election and three (3) outsiders who are nominating.
Therefore, there are six (6) nominations in total for the election from which an election will be held to elect 3 of these 6 to the VAFA Board.
According to the VAFA Constitution, 3 current members are up for re-election each year.
This year they are VAFA President Mr. George Voyage, the VAFA Treasurer Mr. Mick Overman, and the Chair of the VAFA Sustainability and Club Engagement sub-committee,
Dr. Jeffrey Jankie.

Dr. Jeffrey Jankie
• Just over 40 years VAFA experience as both a player and an administrator
• Played from E grade to A grade in a 6-year period at Community club AJAX
• Went on to be a committee person for just on 25 years (all roles from dishwasher to
President and everything in between)
• Then joined the VAFA 'Admin' team in roles including:
• VAFA Representative team manager, Under 19s and B-D4
• Finals match day manager from 2010–2019
• Inaugural Ambassador program participant
• Joining the board in 2017
• Has served on the Heritage, Governance and Elsternwick Park Development subcommittees from 2017 to present
• Alcohol Policy review subcommittee 2019 to present
• Life member at AJAX
• Maccabi Hall of Fame
• VAFA Certificate of Merit
• Current head of Club Sustainability and Development Subcommittee 2017 to present

Mr. Mick Overman
• Over 20 years of experience in football coaching and administration
• Former St. Bernard’s OCFC player (140 games), Life Member, Best Clubman, Juniors
and Seniors President
• VAFA Board Ambassador 2010–2012
• Competition Finals Match Day Manager 2010–2017
• VAFA Representative Teams Manager (U/19, 21, 23 & Seniors) 2010–-2018
• Director of Representative Football (2017 to present)
• Board Member 2017 to present
• VAFA Treasurer 2018 to present
• Member Finance & Risk Subcommittee 2017 to present (current Chair)
• Member Football, Growth & Integrity Subcommittee 2017 to present (current Chair)

Mr. George Voyage
• Former Caulfield Grammarians FC player (230 games),
• Former Caulfield Grammarians FC U/19 Coach, Club Coach, committeeman, Life
• VAFA Representative U/19 Team Selector, U/19 Chairman of Selectors, C-D4 selector
• VAFA Representative Team Coach, B-D4, A-D4 and C-D4 Coach 1997–2007
• VAFA Certificate of Merit Award 2005
• VAFA Board Member 2009 to present
• VAFA Chair Football, Growth & Integrity Subcommittee 2009–2017
• Member VAFA Elsternwick Park 2017 to present, and Fundraising 2020 to
present Project Teams
• VAFA Vice President 2016–2018
• VAFA President 2018 to present

3 people from outside the Board who have nominated for election to the Board, are Mr. Frank Dunell, Mr. Alistair Ewart and Mr. Tim Habel (from UHSVU and not the Mr. Tim Habel from Prahran Assumption AFC).
Whilst acknowledging and welcoming the democratic processes being the nomination by the 3 outside nominating members, it is to be noted that none (from Messrs Ewart, Dunell or Habel) have been endorsed formally by the VAFA Board for this election.
On reflection, it is also relevant that we understand the diverse nature of our VAFA community and this understanding is necessary to ensure the sustained growth of our association.
Therefore, we as a board continue to develop a diverse skill-set with a social matrix to ensure a full representation of our association at VAFA Board level. It is an important aspect of Board Reviews and the Strategic Plan.
2020 has presented many challenges to us all in the VAFA community.
The Board has acted in a most frugal manner, made tough decisions especially in Finance, and steered the ship through a minefield of ever changing challenges.
Our Admin has kept all clubs and stakeholders updated with regular weekly updates, yet with COVID still a major concern, many unknowns continue to face us as we plan and prepare for returning for the 2021 season.
It is important that you are aware that under our leadership, the VAFA Board and volunteers on sub-committees continued to meet very regularly (especially during the peak April-August) to make certain they were informed and aware of the challenges we all faced.

The health and wellbeing of our clubs, associated communities and our Administration team is paramount, along with of course the continued financial viability of the organisation which are overall our key drivers. Decisions needed to be made and conveyed to our community. This was done on an almost weekly basis and conveyed to clubs via portals and to the community by way of the website.
Therefore, when emails were distributed recently to members (by an outside nominating person) that the VAFA Board did not meet and convey information and updates whilst other leagues did is just incorrect.
Indeed Club Engagement to keep everyone informed of the ever changing situation caused by the pandemic and the effect of fluid government regulations put in place and strict protocols laid out by the authorities became a critical aspect and focus.
These are unprecedented times and it is worthy to note challenges such as this during a pandemic year. Your support for all of the 3 above mentioned current VAFA Board Members is appreciated.
George Voyage (on behalf of the VAFA Board) VAFA President

Interesting nomination in Dunell.

First Queenslander to play 100 games at the highest level (Essendon 1984 premiership player to boot) and who's coaching in VAFA ranks covers quite a significant number of clubs...St. Bernards, North Old Boys, Old Paradians...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back