VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Max Leader

Club Legend
Dec 6, 2005
Kaniva
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Kaniva
Max once boasted of knowing the great man's mobile number, so.............:rolleyes:
Still have the number. He is a couple of years younger than me. Went to Kaniva Consolidated Primary School together with his brothers and sister. I went to his 21st, where the Battle of Britain was front and centre of all speeches.

Kaniva also produced the great Roger Merret and Glen Hawker. Not bad for a town of 500 (750 during shearing season).

In 1999 I offered him the coaching role at Old Ivanhoe. He politely turned it down. His loss. Imagine what he would have learned at OI. He would probably be a 6 times AFL Premiership coach.

Max "867 5309" Leader

Still have the number. He is a couple of years younger than me. Went to Kaniva Consolidated Primary School together with his brothers and sister. I went to his 21st, where the Battle of Britain was front and centre of all speeches.

Kaniva also produced the great Roger Merret and Glen Hawker. Not bad for a town of 500 (750 during shearing season).

In 1999 I offered him the coaching role at Old Ivanhoe. He politely turned it down. His loss. Imagine what he would have learned at OI. He would probably be a 6 times AFL Premiership coach.

Max "867 5309" Leader

Love your work Max, can believe the great man knocked your offer back! How’s ol mate Gary Hawker going?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

More and more clubs will pack up. Especially with clubs dropping off in other leagues they’ll target clubs to replace them
What makes other competitions cheaper than the VAFA. Going to have to start paying players. Beer sales isn't going to cover that cost.

Don't give me this travel rubbish. 9 times a year you have to get out of your bubble and see the sights of Melbourne.

The only real successful team (i could be wrong) who left the Ammo's is Banyule, and that is on the back of an amazing junior club and one or two sponsors who have helped out with good recruiting. They wouldn't have beaten Willy or AJAX, so they haven't got "that" much stronger.

I can't name too many other teams that have left and have won a premiership or have flourished.

Its tough for all teams, even the High a Mighty's struggle to raise the money to run a club successfully.

What makes other competitions cheaper than the VAFA. Going to have to start paying players. Beer sales isn't going to cover that cost.

Don't give me this travel rubbish. 9 times a year you have to get out of your bubble and see the sights of Melbourne.

The only real successful team (i could be wrong) who left the Ammo's is Banyule, and that is on the back of an amazing junior club and one or two sponsors who have helped out with good recruiting. They wouldn't have beaten Willy or AJAX, so they haven't got "that" much stronger.

I can't name too many other teams that have left and have won a premiership or have flourished.

Its tough for all teams, even the High a Mighty's struggle to raise the money to run a club successfully.
I don’t really think it’s the fact of cheaper..I think their are many things that annoy people about the VAFA.

- Umpires (lack of)
-Alcohol restrictions
-Limited local rivalry especially in lower divisions compared to playing teams close to you.
-VAFA Support and Fees for what you pay is poor

Another club gone from the VAFA.

My mail was Parade had a vote about a potential future move to the NFNL league, not sure of the result.

Let’s be honest, they are no great loss. In their 10 or so years in the VAFA I reckon SFX have both gone into recess and dropped back to clubbies, perhaps more than once. And I’m sure clubs in the lower grades are really going to miss travelling out to Beaconsfield.

Good luck to them. Hope they find some consistency in the SFL.

VAFA is far form perfect but when you look at what's happening in the Outer East FL and the SFL, I reckon the VAFA is travelling ok by comparison.

I don’t really think it’s the fact of cheaper..I think their are many things that annoy people about the VAFA.

- Umpires (lack of)
-Alcohol restrictions
-Limited local rivalry especially in lower divisions compared to playing teams close to you.
-VAFA Support and Fees for what you pay is poor
The VAFA affiliation fees are high when you consider it like that.
The clubs leaving are more for geographical reasons than not being able to afford VAFA fees. Banyule was surrounded by paying clubs who poached their juniors so moving to NFL was a better fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s be honest, they are no great loss. In their 10 or so years in the VAFA I reckon SFX have both gone into recess and dropped back to clubbies, perhaps more than once. And I’m sure clubs in the lower grades are really going to miss travelling out to Beaconsfield.

Good luck to them. Hope they find some consistency in the SFL.

VAFA is far form perfect but when you look at what's happening in the Outer East FL and the SFL, I reckon the VAFA is travelling ok by comparison.
AFL outer east is 1 year in not really worth judging.

AFL outer east is 1 year in not really worth judging.

True and over time it should even itself out but it’s a bloody shambles at the moment. Huge growth suburbs playing against small country towns and clubs already trying to jump ship. Actually would have thought OEFL would have been a better fit for SFX the SFL.

rupertswood, bentleigh and Werribee districts have also been successful since leaving VAFA

rupertswood, bentleigh and Werribee districts have also been successful since leaving VAFA
Concede all have been solid citizens in their new comps. Both Rupo and Werribee were doing OK in VAFA. Travel would have been a real issue for these teams.

Balwyn? They were SEFL then SLF then EFL. If they were ever in the VAFA it was mid last century.
Wikipedia can't always be trusted JJ but this seems accurate from my limited knowledge. From a VAFA viewpoint they are a stealthy lot.

BLRo46Y.jpg

You could argue that Old Eltham Collegians have benefited greatly from their move last year, but I understand it's only been a year and time will tell.

From what I know from Old Paradians, it’s not a matter of if, but when. May not be in the next couple of years but they will eventually move to the Northern league unless something changes drastically. There’s a lot of ex-Parade blokes running around for cash in the NFNL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back