VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Thoughts are with the young Old Brighton player who suffered a horrific leg injury early in the third quarter of the reserves today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thoughts are with the young Old Brighton player who suffered a horrific leg injury early in the third quarter of the reserves today.
If you ever needed a reason to vote Mr Andrews out of office, the ridiculous wait for the ambulance should be enough as our emergency services are in a diabolical state.
Your concern for the lad was zero. Why push your political agenda when this kid could be badly hurt. Bad form Platinum.

Good day out at Coburg too for the thirds, Old Paradians saluted in a bit of a family affair, four brothers from one family, two brothers from another, umpired by a father and daughter combo!
Was a fantastic day, and yes, the four brothers playing might be close to a VAFA record I’d say.
Disappointingly, there was more than a bit of feedback at a $16 entrance fee to get into a Division 5 Thirds game. I don’t know the economics of it though, so maybe it’s required to hire the ground and extras.
There was a pretty sizeable crowd all the same and they created a super atmosphere.

$16!!! <koff> <splutter> The ground wouldn't have been cheap but that's a big tax to pay for entry. The acoustics at that oval are great, makes the crowd sound much bigger and it's entertaining hearing some of the comments from the other end of the ground.

Don't want to sound entitled or spoiled or something, I don't know how much VAFATV paid for the coverage of the Collegians/Bernards game but whatever it was, it was too much. No sound and the camera work was shocking.

$16!!! <koff> <splutter> The ground wouldn't have been cheap but that's a big tax to pay for entry. The acoustics at that oval are great, makes the crowd sound much bigger and it's entertaining hearing some of the comments from the other end of the ground.

Don't want to sound entitled or spoiled or something, I don't know how much VAFATV paid for the coverage of the Collegians/Bernards game but whatever it was, it was too much. No sound and the camera work was shocking.
$20 to get into finals in the EDFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The VAFA should really look at the Eastern Football League, or better still, its SA counterparts about how to show local footy properly. When watching the 2016 interstate game between the SA Amateurs and the VAFA live from Adelaide, you'd be forgiven for thinking Fox Footy was doing the camerawork, not a SA video production company working for the SA Amateurs.

50% of charges thrown out at the tribunal this week. It’s the eve of finals. Lenient. What Mr Busse say?

50% of charges thrown out at the tribunal this week. It’s the eve of finals. Lenient. What Mr Busse say?
Great to see the best young player in the VAFA has finally been nominated as a rising star.

Master Winter has been named in the best for SKOB no less than 12 times this year, out of 16 games played. A team that has won 14 of its 17 games.

If he doesn’t win the award, it would become meaningless in my very humble opinion.

Within our Big Footy assemblage, is anybody aware of whispers regarding VAFA clubs’ amalgamations, defections, or potential new clubs wanting to be welcomed into the VAFA family?

Division 3 has 9 clubs.
Division 4 has 7 clubs.

Division 4 ‘could’ be a cakewalk for some new clubs.

Perhaps a combined Division 3/4 playing one round with an earlier finals series? (Final 8?)

Just thinking

Within our Big Footy assemblage, is anybody aware of whispers regarding VAFA clubs’ amalgamations, defections, or potential new clubs wanting to be welcomed into the VAFA family?

Division 3 has 9 clubs.
Division 4 has 7 clubs.

Division 4 ‘could’ be a cakewalk for some new clubs.

Perhaps a combined Division 3/4 playing one round with an earlier finals series? (Final 8?)

Just thinking

I doubt today's ruling that all clubs and divisions will remain on 45 points in season 2023 helps District clubs survive long term in the VAFA.

This combined with several other inequities and abilities to truly compete will see the continued amalgamations and defections suggested above become a reality in the coming years.

Chump.

Back in the 1990s, I had heard from someone connected to the then-Football Victoria that the grand plan was that there would be only four metropolitan leagues - Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western - and that they would be fully administered by FV in order to streamline operations.
The VAFA was to remain a separate entity.

One school of thought at the time was that if any VAFA district clubs wanted to move because "they wanted to get away from the schools clubs" (their words) then they would be filtered into one of the four leagues based on their geography. If there were eight or more clubs in a particular geographic area, then they would be given an opportunity to start off as a separate division from the rest if they wished to.

I doubt today's ruling that all clubs and divisions will remain on 45 points in season 2023 helps District clubs survive long term in the VAFA.

This combined with several other inequities and abilities to truly compete will see the continued amalgamations and defections suggested above become a reality in the coming years.

Chump.

Forgetting that District Clubs for the most part have junior clubs in comps like South Metro, Yarra and West.

If you can get players in your senior team who played in your juniors, that's 1 point.

Forgetting that District Clubs for the most part have junior clubs in comps like South Metro, Yarra and West.

If you can get players in your senior team who played in your juniors, that's 1 point.

So much easier said than done.

In my year group at school in the early 1990s, many of the Ivanhoe Grammar 1st XVIII played together at Ivanhoe JFC on Sundays in the Doncaster & District JFL. In the year after Year 12, all of them crossed over to Old Ivanhoe and brought a couple of decent non-school teammates over.

This is the case for a number of district clubs. When I played juniors at Bulleen-Templestowe, many players went to school at Marcellin, Scotch and Ivanhoe. Not one player from my Under 14 team in 1988 played Under 19s football at the Bullants in 1993 - one went to Bulleen United and the other six played for their old boys teams.

So much easier said than done.

In my year group at school in the early 1990s, many of the Ivanhoe Grammar 1st XVIII played together at Ivanhoe JFC on Sundays in the Doncaster & District JFL. In the year after Year 12, all of them crossed over to Old Ivanhoe and brought a couple of decent non-school teammates over.

This is the case for a number of district clubs. When I played juniors at Bulleen-Templestowe, many players went to school at Marcellin, Scotch and Ivanhoe. Not one player from my Under 14 team in 1988 played Under 19s football at the Bullants in 1993 - one went to Bulleen United and the other six played for their old boys teams.
Agreed Mort ..... only 3 players in our two Colts teams don't go to private schools and as such 'plenty' is being done to keep them in the school supported teams.

Add to that, most junior clubs have now been approached and signed MOU's with several senior clubs so as to make all players 1 pointers!

Add to that, large schools clubs - who have worked very hard - have multiple under 19's, under 23's and thirds teams .... that once provided some district clubs with the opportunity to have enough numbers to field two senior teams. Noticed all the forfeits this year?

It's no wonder several clubs, including ours (Ivanhoe), will need to explore ALL options to survive.

Chump.

Last edited:
Agreed Mort ..... only 3 players in our two Colts teams don't go to private schools and as such 'plenty' is being done to keep them in the school supported teams.

Add to that, most junior clubs have now been approached and signed MOU's with several senior clubs so as to make all players 1 pointers!

Add to that, large schools clubs - who have worked very hard - have multiple under 19's, under 23's and thirds teams .... that once provided some district clubs with the opportunity to have enough numbers to field two senior teams. Noticed all the forfeits this year?

It's no wonder several clubs, including ours (Ivanhoe), will need to explore ALL options to survive.

Chump.
FWIW u23s is clearly the worst decision the vafa have ever made! Oh hang on 9 teams in B 11 in C……

Remove this Banner Ad

Back