VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

zeroseven

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2007
city
AFL Club
Collingwood
Max Leader any chance of a screenshot or cut'n'paste of the article? My religion <--- eschews paywalls.

FWIW - like Hoppers Crossing when my kids were juniors, tank the grading games then trounce sides by 100 points every week and have the gall to celebrate a flag at the end of it. :thumbsu:

Read between the lines. This is an admin stuff up. Board puts out a directive that it is up to teams if they want to apply to go up or down. Prior to this admin makes promises to Parkdale but can't be done b/c no C Grade want to go up. It is their right and fair call by Monash, Old Geelong to stay put.
Admin so Lets put them up anyway. Structure announced. Monash rightly complain and takes weeks to settle. But promises made and now the Prem C/B look like a 16 game season with byes and a lopsided draw. 9 teams in Prem B what will other leagues think? Clubs is all grades deserve a fair draw where possible.
My old friend's favourite saying is, 'Well you wouldn't run a business like this!" Elections, constitutions, fixtures what more can go wrong?

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Read between the lines. This is an admin stuff up. Board puts out a directive that it is up to teams if they want to apply to go up or down. Prior to this admin makes promises to Parkdale but can't be done b/c no C Grade want to go up. It is their right and fair call by Monash, Old Geelong to stay put.
Admin so Lets put them up anyway. Structure announced. Monash rightly complain and takes weeks to settle. But promises made and now the Prem C/B look like a 16 game season with byes and a lopsided draw. 9 teams in Prem B what will other leagues think? Clubs is all grades deserve a fair draw where possible.
My old friend's favourite saying is, 'Well you wouldn't run a business like this!" Elections, constitutions, fixtures what more can go wrong?
FSB

CARLTON2011

Team Captain
Feb 20, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
No doubt a stuff up but no blame on Monash Blues. I think if you asked any group of players they would prefer to earn the promotion, not be gifted it as l recall when we were discussing the 2020 season and what should happen several said the same.
Parkdale apparently said "C grade or we go so Southern".
Question is how will it be evened up at the end of 2022?

No doubt a stuff up but no blame on Monash Blues. I think if you asked any group of players they would prefer to earn the promotion, not be gifted it as l recall when we were discussing the 2020 season and what should happen several said the same.
Two up, one down

Jul 3, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Here is the comms from VAFA for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Attachments

• 55B18D07-FA33-4B7C-809F-F3A898063DDF.jpeg
    55B18D07-FA33-4B7C-809F-F3A898063DDF.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 195
  • E4A356DE-8DA3-4C7C-8D4B-F1322B610A49.jpeg
    E4A356DE-8DA3-4C7C-8D4B-F1322B610A49.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 195

Jimmyjack

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Parkdale were not going to Southern, at least not in 2022. It was certainly their intention but some neighbouring SFNL clubs cried foul and made it clear they would fight any such move. In the end they decided they would rather put their energies into rebuilding rather than dealing with applications, appeals etc.

We saw enough of a sample size in 2021 to know that Parkdale should be playing in C grade in 2022. Their seniors were totally uncompetitive and when they did scratch together a reserves team they also got flogged. While I am bewildered that no C grade side wants to have a crack in B grade, the question remains how Monash could be promoted without consultation or agreement. Just defies logic.

Sadly my beloved VAFA is becoming a laughingstock.

Gia77

All Australian
May 16, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
So after all that, little to no change?
Y is the vafa not releasing the structure of D3 and D4? It's all very strange to me - if clubs like Hawthorn and Parkside requested to go up, they should go up!

Jul 3, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
So after all that, little to no change?
Y is the vafa not releasing the structure of D3 and D4? It's all very strange to me - if clubs like Hawthorn and Parkside requested to go up, they should go up!
I know Bulleen Temp is a very proud club but didn’t they forfeit a game in their seniors this year? How on earth they stay in div 2 is beyond me

zeroseven

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2007
city
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here is the comms from VAFA for anyone who hasn’t seen it.

Hey WTP

Lifted this from you attachment:

Unfortunately, the VAFA Board had based its decision on incomplete information, and so at a meeting last night the VAFA Board partially reversed its decision regarding the makeup of 2022 Premier B Men’s and Premier C Men’s sections.

With the new information at hand the VAFA Board last night reviewed its original decision for these sections only. The outcome is that our Premier B Men’s competition will be made up of (9) clubs and our Premier C Men’s competition will be made up of (11) clubs for the 2022 season.

Blind Freddy knows that knows that the incomplete information was actually incorrect information given to the Board by who? The admin staff were responsible for collating the requests so who are the only ones supplying the info to the Board. The new info referred to above is the fact that Monash Blues did not request to go up.

Now we have a VAFA admin f up of monumental proportions with the showcase areas of the VAFA Prem B and Prem C [Just ask them] with 9/11 [subtle numbers] fixtures.

Really love the condescending wording in the final para

"While we acknowledge that the 2022 makeup of Premier B Men’s and Premier C Men’s sections presents an uneven number of teams, it was felt that these changes needed to be made for the greater good of the competition and its clubs."

They have put 1 club above 19! For the greater good - should be on the Comedy Club.

Archangel17

All Australian
Jul 5, 2006
South Yarra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Local footy
Hey WTP

Lifted this from you attachment:

Unfortunately, the VAFA Board had based its decision on incomplete information, and so at a meeting last night the VAFA Board partially reversed its decision regarding the makeup of 2022 Premier B Men’s and Premier C Men’s sections.

With the new information at hand the VAFA Board last night reviewed its original decision for these sections only. The outcome is that our Premier B Men’s competition will be made up of (9) clubs and our Premier C Men’s competition will be made up of (11) clubs for the 2022 season.

Blind Freddy knows that knows that the incomplete information was actually incorrect information given to the Board by who? The admin staff were responsible for collating the requests so who are the only ones supplying the info to the Board. The new info referred to above is the fact that Monash Blues did not request to go up.

Now we have a VAFA admin f up of monumental proportions with the showcase areas of the VAFA Prem B and Prem C [Just ask them] with 9/11 [subtle numbers] fixtures.

Really love the condescending wording in the final para

"While we acknowledge that the 2022 makeup of Premier B Men’s and Premier C Men’s sections presents an uneven number of teams, it was felt that these changes needed to be made for the greater good of the competition and its clubs."

They have put 1 club above 19! For the greater good - should be on the Comedy Club.
Is it a stuff up initially or a stuff up to fold to Monash? The VAFA did say clearly
'The VAFA Board reserves the right at its discretion to make case by case changes to section structures for club and VAFA sustainability purposes'
I would argue under this clause a couple of other clubs should have been relegated like Preston and Bulleen-Temp however clearly Parkdale asked to go down and the other two didn't
I think they should have stood their ground on Monash

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Is it a stuff up initially or a stuff up to fold to Monash? The VAFA did say clearly
'The VAFA Board reserves the right at its discretion to make case by case changes to section structures for club and VAFA sustainability purposes'
I would argue under this clause a couple of other clubs should have been relegated like Preston and Bulleen-Temp however clearly Parkdale asked to go down and the other two didn't
I think they should of held their ground on Parkdale . They said there has to be 2 clubs in agreeance . I believe there is now going to be a meeting with the C clubs .

zeroseven

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2007
city
AFL Club
Collingwood

If we apply that logic why didn't Admin tell the Board to move Preston/UHSVU down Whitefriars who did apply to come up and Camberwell to go up? Other grades as well. They pandered to Parkdale causing the situation that clubs will rebel against if they have knackers or maybe they only have peanuts!

Archangel17

All Australian
Jul 5, 2006
South Yarra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Local footy
If we apply that logic why didn't Admin tell the Board to move Preston/UHSVU down Whitefriars who did apply to come up and Camberwell to go up? Other grades as well. They pandered to Parkdale causing the situation that clubs will rebel against if they have knackers or maybe they only have peanuts!
I think that is what i said. The same logic could have applied to others. I would have thought changes in Preston, BT and Powerhouse's grading would have been no brainers, possibly even in OT's situation too. Having said that, those clubs presumably didn't ask to go down so are slightly different cases. I think it would have been far better if VAFA had reviewed each section themselves and made the hard decisions.

Last edited:

Archangel17

All Australian
Jul 5, 2006
South Yarra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Local footy
I think they should of held their ground on Parkdale . They said there has to be 2 clubs in agreeance . I believe there is now going to be a meeting with the C clubs .
However they didn't say two clubs HAD to be in agreeance.That was the indicative process however they said they would use discretion where neccessary which they obviously did in this case

zeroseven

Team Captain
Aug 12, 2007
city
AFL Club
Collingwood
However they didn't say two clubs HAD to be in agreeance.That was the indicative process however they said they would use discretion where neccessary which they obviously did in this case

To stuff up 19 other club. More to come from the clubs that care and are not scared to speak up.

Archangel17

All Australian
Jul 5, 2006
South Yarra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Local footy
To stuff up 19 other club. More to come from the clubs that care and are not scared to speak up.
Yeah, I'm actually not defending the VAFA stuffing everyone around.
Rather, I think Monash in B and Parkdale in C makes a heap of sense, and would be amazed if anyone could seriously think it didn't.
I think the process itself was the issue.

Back