VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Nov 2, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Can anyone confirm reports the VAFA have suggested all games in Div 3 and 4 will have yellow footballs and no boundary umpires, meaning the field ump just does a ball up instead of a throw in?

I had a chat with a guy at our club who was involved in the meeting and can confirm the following :

- A suggestion by a couple of club presidents (not the VAFA) was made at a recent meeting to not have boundary umpires in Div 3 and Div 4 as a potential to trial to help with the pressure of diminishing volunteers. Other suggestions were also canvassed and discussions will be ongoing but no decision made as yet.

- Yellow footballs for ALL games was also discussed as they can be reused at training throughout the winter months - significant cost saving for clubs. I'm told many (in the meeting) in favor of the idea to be explored further as part of a range of topics discussed to minimise club costs, especially with the uncertainty of sponsorship due to covid.

Cheers, Chump.

Jul 3, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I had a chat with a guy at our club who was involved in the meeting and can confirm the following :

- A suggestion by a couple of club presidents (not the VAFA) was made at a recent meeting to not have boundary umpires in Div 3 and Div 4 as a potential to trial to help with the pressure of diminishing volunteers. Other suggestions were also canvassed and discussions will be ongoing but no decision made as yet.

- Yellow footballs for ALL games was also discussed as they can be reused at training throughout the winter months - significant cost saving for clubs. I'm told many (in the meeting) in favor of the idea to be explored further as part of a range of topics discussed to minimise club costs, especially with the uncertainty of sponsorship due to covid.

Cheers, Chump.
Yeah ok. I guess both kind of make sense for struggling clubs.

Feb 18, 2003
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
But why the yellow football?

Don't mind the idea. Think about it. The depths of a wet Melbourne winter at grounds where the lighting is rather pathetic. The VFL did this in the early 1980s and in soccer, the use of coloured balls is very common particularly with the presence of snow covered pitches. Plus most clubs train with yellow balls anyway...more so than red ones.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Don't mind the idea. Think about it. The depths of a wet Melbourne winter at grounds where the lighting is rather pathetic. The VFL did this in the early 1980s and in soccer, the use of coloured balls is very common particularly with the presence of snow covered pitches. Plus most clubs train with yellow balls anyway...more so than red ones.
Also the WAFL and the WAAFL (Western Australian Amateur Football League) used yellow Burley footballs in their club competition in WA.

Gia77

All Australian
May 16, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Happy New Year everyone. I trust you're all keeping well amidst the chaos that is 2022

I heard a rumour and I know it's only a rumour, that Cricket Victoria was considering cancelling all matches this weekend due to covid cases/people in isolation etc. I hope it's not a sign of things to come for our upcoming season.

Pleas be safe and take care

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Happy New Year everyone. I trust you're all keeping well amidst the chaos that is 2022

I heard a rumour and I know it's only a rumour, that Cricket Victoria was considering cancelling all matches this weekend due to covid cases/people in isolation etc. I hope it's not a sign of things to come for our upcoming season.

They Gov need to cancel nightclubs and festivals that's where it's spreading

Jul 12, 2004
Junktion Oval
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
England

I know one local comp which has already cancelled this round.

Gia77

All Australian
May 16, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Spitballin' here but is it time the VAFA looked at some extra contingency plans re the 2022 season. There is a reasonable chance that clubs will be hti the players having to isolate etc. Is it time to extend the bench of each side within a club (seniors, ressies and clubbies) to 6 players?

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Spitballin' here but is it time the VAFA looked at some extra contingency plans re the 2022 season. There is a reasonable chance that clubs will be hti the players having to isolate etc. Is it time to extend the bench of each side within a club (seniors, ressies and clubbies) to 6 players?

I've been told one club has already requested the season pushed back to May.

I think you will find plenty of players testing positive to covid over the next month or two (if they haven't already).

Gia77

All Australian
May 16, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
I've been told one club has already requested the season pushed back to May.

I think you will find plenty of players testing positive to covid over the next month or two (if they haven't already).

It's tough to know because how does one anticipate what will be happening with Covid in a weeks time let alone 3 months time. I think the season dates should remain the same, and allow for me players in a game day squad (24 or 25). If 1 team plays with 6 on the bench,, the other 4 with, it's not the biggest disadvantage and will help cover injuries etc also

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
You don't need six on the bench. Players aren't going to collapse midfield from a sudden attack of covid.

What you do need is the ability to list extra names on the teamsheet to cover last-minute withdrawals to make up the 22.
It might be possible to say that 3rds and 19s might be cancelled for a round here and there and those players topping up firsts and 2nds etc

Back