VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Kew always push the limits. It's what makes them so good, unfortunately.

VAFA need to send a message. A big one.
Can’t possibly disagree more on the first statement, but agree with your second.

If Kew were “so good”, why are they sitting in D1? This isn’t pushing the limits, it’s a flagrant breach of a public health order by an AFL Level 3 accredited coach. It’s disgraceful. People want this type of behaviour during a lockdown to be stamped out.

So he should be sacked and have his coaching accreditation stripped.

Can’t possibly disagree more on the first statement, but agree with your second.

If Kew were “so good”, why are they sitting in D1? This isn’t pushing the limits, it’s a flagrant breach of a public health order by an AFL Level 3 accredited coach. It’s disgraceful. People want this type of behaviour during a lockdown to be stamped out.

As well as all players suspended whichever club they are from

I should have said relative to the lower grades.

I'm preparing for the inevitable slap on the wrist, honestly.

As well as all players suspended whichever club they are from
I wouldn’t go so far as to suspend the players.

No doubt the head coach made the decision to hold the session. Understandable that players may have felt if they didn’t partake it could reflect negatively on them down the track. More pressure on players to train than the coach to hold the session IMHO

View attachment 1189438

The Victorian Amateur Football Association is investigating after footage emerged of players training in defiance of Victoria’s lockdown rules.
A Richmond Central player recorded a group of players – believed to be from VAFA club Kew – training at the Kevin Bartlett Oval last Sunday morning.

He challenged the players and had a verbal stoush with Kew senior coach Ian Aitken, the former Carlton premiership defender.

“Oi, who the f.ck is in charge here? What’s going on? This is our oval, you can’t be f.cking training here, and it’s f.cking lockdown too,’’ the Richmond Centrals player says at the start of the video.

“What are you doing?

“This is Richmond Central, get the f.ck off our oval …. you can’t be doing this, it’s our oval and it’s lockdown.’’

The Richmond club sent the footage to the VAFA on Sunday and also contacted Yarra Council about the episode.

A Richmond Central official said the player who took the video had seen a group of players taking part in organised training at the Kevin Bartlett Oval a week earlier, also during lockdown.

The VAFA is investigating last Sunday’s training session.

VAFA chief executive Brett Connell said last night: “We are investigating the alleged matter and will not be making any further comment until the matter is finalised.’’

Kew officials have been contacted for comment.

Another amateur club official contacted Leader about the training session, suggesting Kew had gained an unfair advantage by training when other clubs complying with Covid restrictions hadn’t.

There have been calls on social media for Kew to be fined and Aitken to be punished over the issue.

Aitken, 64, figured in Carlton’s 1987 premiership team and had 61 matches for the Blues before crossing to St Kilda, where he played five games in 1993.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1189438

The Victorian Amateur Football Association is investigating after footage emerged of players training in defiance of Victoria’s lockdown rules.
A Richmond Central player recorded a group of players – believed to be from VAFA club Kew – training at the Kevin Bartlett Oval last Sunday morning.

He challenged the players and had a verbal stoush with Kew senior coach Ian Aitken, the former Carlton premiership defender.

“Oi, who the f.ck is in charge here? What’s going on? This is our oval, you can’t be f.cking training here, and it’s f.cking lockdown too,’’ the Richmond Centrals player says at the start of the video.

“What are you doing?

Not sure how to post the video....can anyone help?

Can you copy the article for those of us unwilling to pay for the Herald Scum? 😂

Nice attack on the bloke filming from old mate Aitken.
View attachment 1189438

That is quite the confrontational footage... "you need to f*** off c***" as he walks menacingly towards the bloke filming it. Not sure what the penalty would be but as clear as day it's a breach of the Victorian restrictions in place.

As indicated above, I wouldn't penalise the players, rather the officials involved in organising this.

That is quite the confrontational footage... "you need to f*** off c***" as he walks menacingly towards the bloke filming it. Not sure what the penalty would be but as clear as day it's a breach of the Victorian restrictions in place.

As indicated above, I wouldn't penalise the players, rather the officials involved in organising this.

I feel very sorry for the players IF they felt they could not say to their coaches, club or team mates ..... "Sorry, but that's illegal and so I don't feel comfortable doing that". I understand peer pressure and 'team' thinking, but really strong clubs encourage a culture where people can feel safe to express concerns and views that may differ from the 'leadership' without fear of unrealistic or unfair reprisals.

Unfortunately for many good people at the club, if all the footage and commentary is to be believed, far more could be jeopardy than what could have possibly been gained out of a couple of extra training sessions. Time will tell.

Chump.

Why would you not penalise the players? They aren't schoolkids, they're grown men intentionally flouting the law during a pandemic. Seriously if the pressure from a footy coach about maybe not getting a game in the seniors is enough to make you break the law I'm not sure how you function day in day out.

This is one of the darkest days in VAFA history.

At a time when we needed the state to come together to ensure we don't have any more senseless deaths, one club has decided to 1) gain an unfair advantage on their opponents and 2) completely disregard the CHO's restrictions.

Coach and committee sacked plus all point deducted from the season at a MINIMUM.

The Kew football club has bought shame to their club, to the state but most importantly the competition.

If guilty Kew should be suspended for the rest of the season imo. Coach should lose his accreditation as well.

We all know the rules, he just didn’t care

The coach thought that he was smarter than everyone else. He thought that he is sooo cunning that only he thought of doing something like this. In reality, every coach in every league could have done what he did but thought better of it.

This guy is a complete fool and I would pull my son out in an instance.

I've got two mates who have lost their business through this pandemic. This sort of sh*t is a real kick in face to people everywhere who have done it really tough.

If guilty Kew should be suspended for the rest of the season imo. Coach should lose his accreditation as well.

We all know the rules, he just didn’t care
Punishes their opponents too though, two of whom will need the finals tune up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back