VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi all.

Aucklander and I have had a couple of runs through recent posts in this thread and removed a few unsavoury comments.

The usual griping and gossip is par for the course, but some posts go overboard.

Site rules are here:

People who do not abide by them will have accounts blocked from threads, boards, or banned entirely.

If you see such posts, please report them so they can be attended to. We don't and can't read every post, and mods may be absent for periods around this time of year when people are busy or on holiday.

You can always contact admin here if anything is urgent:

Because the action causes the result.

I punch you, and you get a split lip, I punch Bedford and I break his jaw. Same action different result. Remove the action no split lip or broken jaw, simple! Result should be irrelevant.

Again watch the incident. Not a 4 week action.

Max "Where's Dan the Man" Leader
Yes both a punch but a player with a split lip could play the next week, one with a broken jaw wouldn’t. So outcome of incident needs to be taken into account.

Have you boys watched the 19s comp. The standard isn’t the same from 2 years ago but there is indeed some hidden gems running around. For each club I’ve outlined a player that could be serious footballers going into the future. Vfl level or even AFL !! Harrison bell 28 goals in 4 games for Xavier, gets isolated. Known as a fox in the box. Lucas Edmonds a work horse at St Bernard’s football club who is averaging 25.5 and 1.4 goal a game, a great goal kicking midfielder. Hudson milnes from Caulfield, flashy player, with afl traits, very good aerobic capacity. Judd Rowell from Brighton, got reported for 5 weeks but looks like his going be a big presence when returning who would destroy defenders in his path. Lastly Jack Darmody from St Kevins. Very good size and got captain like traits.

Because the action causes the result.

I punch you, and you get a split lip, I punch Bedford and I break his jaw. Same action different result. Remove the action no split lip or broken jaw, simple! Result should be irrelevant.

Again watch the incident. Not a 4 week action.

Max "Where's Dan the Man" Leader

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Nowhere in a civilised society does the outcome of the action have no impact on penalty.

Are you suggesting if all of the police officers who tragically died on the Eastern Freeway last year from that truck driver managed to survive, then he should still have been sentenced to 22 years jail?

give me a spell.....

Is there a timeline on when the journalist write up their weekly summary of the past rounds games? Notice some are available online within a few days, others not at all.. Should be some sort of consistency

Is there a timeline on when the journalist write up their weekly summary of the past rounds games? Notice some are available online within a few days, others not at all.. Should be some sort of consistency
I know someone that's done it recently and they have to have the report in by Monday , he tries to call coaches and they never reply . So he has to go by the best players and goalkickers named.

Brethren

I'd like to open the discussion about how well the clubs are managed by the VAFA? Value for money etc. Want to run this by you. Five rounds gone in all sections. Highlight: Women's Div 1 to Div 4.

Teams in

Div 1 6
Div 2 7 [5 byes so far]
Div 3 8
Div 4 7 [5 byes so far]

I believe even those that dropped out of Old Xaverians Kindergarten could have organised it better. 28 teams 2 x 8 + 2 x 6. Women's clubs have been screaming at S & M to rectify the imbalance since day one. Well today we were notified that yes the penny has dropped and we will be accommodated - drop one team from D 2 to D3 and one team with a percentage of 4 [yes been a lovely first 5 games] to D 4 eliminating the byes.

Brilliant work by the sub committee and head of football operations. Women have short seasons but this unnecessary incompetence have robbed 10 teams of a game. Taken 5 weeks to organise. Do you think a team with a percentage of less than 5 should have missed the first grading cut?

Those 10 clubs should be putting in a claim for money back due to mismanagement!

Wonder does the CEO know that this is the ship he is steering?

Brethren

I'd like to open the discussion about how well the clubs are managed by the VAFA? Value for money etc. Want to run this by you. Five rounds gone in all sections. Highlight: Women's Div 1 to Div 4.

Teams in

Div 1 6
Div 2 7 [5 byes so far]
Div 3 8
Div 4 7 [5 byes so far]

I believe even those that dropped out of Old Xaverians Kindergarten could have organised it better. 28 teams 2 x 8 + 2 x 6. Women's clubs have been screaming at S & M to rectify the imbalance since day one. Well today we were notified that yes the penny has dropped and we will be accommodated - drop one team from D 2 to D3 and one team with a percentage of 4 [yes been a lovely first 5 games] to D 4 eliminating the byes.

Brilliant work by the sub committee and head of football operations. Women have short seasons but this unnecessary incompetence have robbed 10 teams of a game. Taken 5 weeks to organise. Do you think a team with a percentage of less than 5 should have missed the first grading cut?

Those 10 clubs should be putting in a claim for money back due to mismanagement!

Well maybe their should be a total Women's competition , why do the VFL , VAFA have to run it. This will be taken the wrong way no doubt , but put the onus back on Women to run their own .

Brethren

Teams in

Div 1 6
Div 2 7 [5 byes so far]
Div 3 8
Div 4 7 [5 byes so far]

It's staggering that after five rounds, 22 reserves grade teams across the womens and mens comps currently have a % less than 50. These teams can forget finals already. If your percentage is sitting at around 20 it's not really instilling much confidence in being able to sing the song after playing the game we love. Makes you wonder if we have things setup right.

It's staggering that after five rounds, 22 reserves grade teams across the womens and mens comps currently have a % less than 50. These teams can forget finals already. If your percentage is sitting at around 20 it's not really instilling much confidence in being able to sing the song after playing the game we love. Makes you wonder if we have things setup right.
It's in all competitions

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually met the C grade scribe last weekend. Quite young. He said Monday is the general deadline, then the VAFA will edit and put it out.

I do miss when the VAFA did a report and then a preview later in the week. This chap said he watches a half of most games from the section to get to know the players and teams. Would like to see more content but I’m sure they’re tough for time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking at the large blowouts in all divisions, 1 thru 4, perhaps somebody with a few brains could push for an honest revamp of the competition, albeit only a few games in. Perhaps teams with excessive percentages could all be elevated into Division 1, keep the strugglers together in Division 4 and the 'middle of the roaders' in Divisions 2 + 3.

There are 6 teams with excessive percentages of 400% - 500% + sitting atop their respective ladders. Could place them all into the top division.

Divisions 1 and 4 to have 6 teams each; Divisions 2 + 3 to have 8 teams each.

Just thinking.

Perhaps: -

Division 1

Parkdale Vultures
Hampton Rovers
AJAX
Old Scotch
Old Brighton
Whitefriars

Division 2

O Melburnians
O Haileybury
Hawthorn
La Trobe
Therry Penola
Williamstown
Old Mentonians
Canterbury

Division 3

Bulleen Temp
Oakleigh
Power House
S Melb
Emaeus
Parkdale V
Preston
Glen Eira

Division 4
Albert Park
DLS
MCC
Swinburne
Parkside
Elsternwick
Well maybe their should be a total Women's competition , why do the VFL , VAFA have to run it. This will be taken the wrong way no doubt , but put the onus back on Women to run their own .
I knew you'd comeback with that . Nothing to do with sex . I'm all for girls footy and support it , so tell me why can't they run their own and i know who the drop kick might be !

I actually met the C grade scribe last weekend. Quite young. He said Monday is the general deadline, then the VAFA will edit and put it out.

I do miss when the VAFA did a report and then a preview later in the week. This chap said he watches a half of most games from the section to get to know the players and teams. Would like to see more content but I’m sure they’re tough for time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Where are these reports posted?

Sorry - there’s no “wrong way” you can take that comment. It can only be interpreted one way, and it’s not flash.

Maybe we should do the same with the u19s then? They can run their own separate competition as they’re really a bunch of boys who have zero responsibility and don’t lift their weight.

What a ridiculous idea.

I'm consistently confused by what makes a women's competition more difficult to run than a men's comp. Based on this logic, high schoolers would be running all Under 16's competitions.

Whilst not unexpected that people have taken your comments the wrong way in the current climate, fact is it’s a fair point that the women’s comp has grown now to the level it should have its own staff. It doesn’t have to be separate from the VAFA but a women’s competition football operations manager would at the very least make a lot of sense.

Whilst not unexpected that people have taken your comments the wrong way in the current climate, fact is it’s a fair point that the women’s comp has grown now to the level it should have its own staff. It doesn’t have to be separate from the VAFA but a women’s competition football operations manager would at the very least make a lot of sense.
Thanks , that's what i was meaning and i know some would take it the wrong way . Surely there are enough funds for a operations manager and a female recruitment person. To be fair the popularity of girls footy has exploded so quick .

Looking at the large blowouts in all divisions, 1 thru 4, perhaps somebody with a few brains could push for an honest revamp of the competition, albeit only a few games in. Perhaps teams with excessive percentages could all be elevated into Division 1, keep the strugglers together in Division 4 and the 'middle of the roaders' in Divisions 2 + 3.

There are 6 teams with excessive percentages of 400% - 500% + sitting atop their respective ladders. Could place them all into the top division.

Just thinking.

Division 1

Parkdale Vultures
Hampton Rovers
AJAX
Old Scotch
Old Brighton
Whitefriars

Division 2

O Melburnians
O Haileybury
Hawthorn
La Trobe
Therry Penola
Williamstown
Old Mentonians
Canterbury

Division 3

Bulleen Temp
Oakleigh
Power House
S Melb
Emaeus
Parkdale V
Preston
Glen Eira

Division 4
Albert Park
DLS
MCC
Swinburne
Parkside
Elsternwick
Further to my last, and with a little more information. I don't think anything will change because it's too hard!

Hand Grenade House could certainly organise an honest revamp of the competition, albeit only a few games in. Perhaps teams with excessive percentages could all be elevated into Division 1, keep the strugglers together in Division 4 and the 'middle of the roaders' in Divisions 2 + 3.

There are 6 teams with excessive percentages of 400%+ sitting atop their respective ladders. Could place them all into the top division.

I understand that this scenario isn’t perfect; neither are we, but: -
Just thinking.

Division 1

AJAX Div 3 466%
Hampton Rovers Div 3 418%
Old Brighton Div 1 322%
Old Scotch Div 1 466%
Parkdale Vultures Div 4 522%
Whitefriars Div 1 346%

Division 2

Glen Eira Div 3 183%